Hollow front axle?

Guest Jaap

Because I'm going to fit the Ohlins fork I purchased in Italy, I would like to know for sure if the Scura/Rosso Corsa/Cafe Sport has a hollow front axle. Can someone look in his/her shed and find out for me? Pics would be very nice also.

TIA Jaap

Further looking on the guzzi website, it looks like the corsa rossa hasn't a hollow axle, but the normal le mans 2003 has! It's mounted the other way around, but the total lenght should be checked, because the thickniss of the forkfeet might be different. I will check the aprilia and 998 axles lenght because the guzzi axcle finish is not so nice.

v11lm_07.jpg

v11lm_12.jpg

What i could told about Ohlins wheel axle

On the Ducati this is exactely the same wheel axle for standard fork (showa) and ohlins one & it got a hollow.

The are really not hard for the money. Cost around 50 EUR in a Ducati shop.

NEVER buy a SuperBike Fork or don't buy the Olhins wheel axle, this is robbery (500 EUR for the axle alone and you need some more parts to fix it). :homer:

Happy as i never be before in my life as i'm a daddy since one day :bier:

• Like 1

NEVER buy a SuperBike Fork or don't buy the Olhins wheel axle, this is robbery (500 EUR for the axle alone and you need some more parts to fix it). 

Happy as i never be before in my life as i'm a daddy since one day

So you have a superbike fork and tell us to not buy one? disappointed?

Do you know the lenght of the ducati axle? I think maybe it's to short for the v11.

And congratulations with your daughter!!

I can tell now if there is a big difference between R&T and the superbike one.

But the thing i could tell is that all parts for such fork are really more expensive.

The best way is to find a guy that could do the parts for you.

Even hand made it is cheaper !

My front axle cost me 80 EUR made by the same guy that already done my triple clamps and It fits perfectly .

The same for the brakes brackets, standard Ohlins for 40 mm brembo costs 180 EUR each it cost me 200 EUR the both with some modificitations to fit my front mudguard perfectly :bike:

Thanks for my daughter, just amazing to start a daddy's life :thumbsup:

Jaap/Paul,

Good news on your forks, I'm still waiting for Polen to get back to me on shipping/payment, etc....

Although we have exchanged several emails late last month, I think that since the month of August is one long European holiday for some people, I might not hear back from him a for a couple more weeks.... but then again, he warned me that might be the case, so I'm not casting any aspersions his way ^_^

BTW, does the length of the forks seem to be correct to fit your LeMans without any adjustment/modifications Jaap? It should, but since you have yours in-hand, I just thought I'd ask.

So when you guys figure out the correct axle, bearings, and anything else that needs to make the 2002 wheel fit the Ohlins, please let us know so we can just go out and order the right parts the first time :thumbsup:

...now we'll just have to make a bracket to make the standard V11 fender fit the Ohlins. Looking at the photos above, I think one could do so with some aluminum stock, or similar.... I hate to have to go spend $$ on a Scura/Rosso fender for no other reason than fastener placement. Plus as you know, I'm no fan of CF cosmetically... no offense to those who do though :P

al

P.S.

Polen has 1 or 2 more pair of the Scura/Rosso Ohlins forks, or will soon. If you are interested, you can contact him at polen02@libero.it

Guest John T

BTDT.

I was pleased when I took the stock axle (solid) on my '01 RM and it threaded perfectly into the ohlins forks I adapted from a Duc monster. Only thing I needed to do was shim the calipers as they mounted a little more out than stock.

I also was able to use my stock fender with some minor fabrication work and some JB weld!

Very easy.

If you guys want I can post a shot of my fender mounting. :pic:

John, I suppose you have different forks. I have a 2001 le mans axle here, but thats not going to fit the ohlins. One side will(25mm), but the other side has to be 30mm, maybe if you have a nut with 18x1.5mm treath inside and round 30 outside.

I think the duc axle isn't going to work, because the forks are 5mm closer together on a duc, so it's 5mm to short. A duc axle is 25,9 cm.

So as it looks now, I think the 2003 le mans axle will fit. But I need it's measurments to know for sure.

If you guys want I can post a shot of my fender mounting. :pic:

....sure a photo of your work to make the regular fender fit would be great :D

BTW, good work Paul, just let us know what you find out. So BTW, will we need different bearings, or anything else, once we fit the correct axle to a 2002 wheel with the smaller pre-2003 axle?

al

Guest John T

Another shot, used the bracket that came with the Ohlins for the Ducati setup. Cut the piece as needed and used JB weld. Holds strong.

post-5-1060693418.jpg