Need advice on maintenance tools needed

Mike Rother

Hello all,

New owner and limited mechanical experience here looking for advice on things I should have in my toolbox/garage to properly maintain my 03 Lemans...

I'll living in HI with limited shops to help with basic tuning and services needs, would appreciate your comments.

My bike has just had the 6000 mile service and is in mechanically stock form with no aftermarket performance items. I should probably mention my toolbox is very bare and will need anything other then the basic household tools. I also realize the list could probably go on forever on things one could use but I guess I'm looking more towards a place to start from realitive need and frequency at which these things would be needed/used.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello all,

New owner and limited mechanical experience here looking for advice on things I should have in my toolbox/garage to properly maintain my 03 Lemans...

I'll living in HI with limited shops to help with basic tuning and services needs, would appreciate your comments.

My bike has just had the 6000 mile service and is in mechanically stock form with no aftermarket performance items. I should probably mention my toolbox is very bare and will need anything other then the basic household tools. I also realize the list could probably go on forever on things one could use but I guess I'm looking more towards a place to start from realitive need and frequency at which these things would be needed/used.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. I am a new Guzzi owner in August myself and in a similar predicament. Check out this site. I gives simple instructions on how to change the oil, gear oil and service the rear end as well as the tools required. Very few indeed and worth a look if you are a new mechanic like I am!

http://www.motoguzzishop.com/Big_Daddy/Big..._oil_change.htm

Regards,

Bob

A set of big hammers and large spanners and screwdrivers! :P:mg:

There's not much that a set of allan keys and spanners won't do.....

Thanks Richard for the help...

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. I am a new Guzzi owner in August myself and in a similar predicament. Check out this site. I gives simple instructions on how to change the oil, gear oil and service the rear end as well as the tools required. Very few indeed and worth a look if you are a new mechanic like I am!

http://www.motoguzzishop.com/Big_Daddy/Big..._oil_change.htm

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for the great link Bob, I've added that to my favorites list!

Mike

Digital voltmeter! :luigi:

Thanks Doc, thats one I thing I did have, lets hope the movers packed that too, lol.

Mike

Thanks Richard for the help...

Thanks for the great link Bob, I've added that to my favorites list!

Mike

Good Luck. I am performing my first oil change this weekend. Will try the other two in the next month or two. You have a nice looking bike!

Bob

Good Luck. I am performing my first oil change this weekend. Will try the other two in the next month or two. You have a nice looking bike!

Bob

It really depends what you mean by 'Basic Maintenance'? If you simply mean dropping the oils and maybe doing the tappets you don't need very much at all. If you want to do more than that then you'll need comensurately more tools.

Just a couple of suggestions though.

1.) Get a 5mm allen 'T'-bar or a socket wioth a longish 5mm key in it. Guzzis, (And most other european machines.) bristle with 6mm allen bolts, (Which use a 5mm key.) A 'T' bar or simmilar will speed up removal of these fittings immeasurably.

2.) Buy decent quality tools, not cheap and nasties from 'Wotalotacrap Auto'. This is especially important with things like allen wrenches/sockets and Torx fttings.

3.) Always use a ring spanner if possible. Open enders will simply end up rounding stuff off.

4.) When purchasing a socket set, (A decent 3/8th drive set is all you'll need with sizes up to 22mm or so.) get the same sizes as your spanners. Common sizes you'll need are, (in mm.) 8, 10, 11 (For bled nipples.) 13, 14, (For certain brake hydraulic fittings.) 17, 19. That'll get you started.

Pete

Guest ratchethack

. . .looking for advice on things I should have in my toolbox/garage to properly maintain my 03 Lemans...

Welcome, Mike! Wot Pete said above. :thumbsup:

I have a home shop full of Craftsman tools, which I consider medium-high quality and a great value -- EXCEPT for their allen sets. They are notoriously undersized, and will round-out a beautiful new set of socket-head bolts on a Guzzi and turn them into garbage PDQ. <_<

Get yourself a high-grade tool-steel set of allens.

I'll living in HI . . .

Oh yes -- Well Then! Unless you plan to plastic bag the Guzzi after every ride and run a dehumidifier in the bag (inside your home or climate controlled garage, of course), y'er gonna need plenty of waxes, polishes, penetrating oil, (may I highly recommend Aero Kroil from Kano Laboratories, kanolabs.com), CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner and dielectric grease as a preventive for EVERY connector and switch on the bike several times a year, as well as a fix for same on a somewhat less frequent basis than this, and of course, any high quality marine grade rust remover. ;)

Aloha!

:2c:

Welcome, Mike! Wot Pete said above. :thumbsup:

I have a home shop full of Craftsman tools, which I consider medium-high quality and a great value -- EXCEPT for their allen sets. They are notoriously undersized, and will round-out a beautiful new set of socket-head bolts on a Guzzi and turn them into garbage PDQ. <_>

Get yourself a high-grade tool-steel set of allens.

Oh yes -- Well Then! Unless you plan to plastic bag the Guzzi after every ride and run a dehumidifier in the bag (inside your home or climate controlled garage, of course), y'er gonna need plenty of waxes, polishes, penetrating oil, (may I highly recommend Aero Kroil from Kano Laboratories, kanolabs.com), CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner and dielectric grease as a preventive for EVERY connector and switch on the bike several times a year, as well as a fix for same on a somewhat less frequent basis than this, and of course, any high quality marine grade rust remover. ;)

Aloha!

Thanks Rachet, thanks Pete...

Very informative and friendly group here, I hate to embarrass myself further and add that I am new to bloging as well so the early quote thingy was in error. sorry :stupid:

I'll be getting some good "T" wrenches soon, the little bit I've delt with already leads me to agree with their need. The moving company that is shipping my bike and household goods to HI wanted teh tank drained and motor run empty for safety sake and with no shop manual (yet) it was "trail by fire". :grin:

I hope to perform as much of the work on my bike as possible, I prefer trusting my own lack of knowledge in maintenance on my bike then letting someone else who cares nothing for it screw it up if you know what I mean.

Speedo cable already went at 6475 miles and have the new one in hand but will have to wait till I meet my bike later this month for installation.

Also have a sensitive engine cut-off button which went barely touched kills the motor and a loose senoid wire which vibrated off but thanks to the great network of bloggers here, these problems were well documented and thus fixed. :sun:

Mike

Guest ratchethack

I hope to perform as much of the work on my bike as possible, I prefer trusting my own lack of knowledge in maintenance on my bike then letting someone else who cares nothing for it screw it up if you know what I mean.

My personal philosophy since 1965, my friend -- "100%" since then. IMHO it will serve you well. -_-

4.) When purchasing a socket set, (A decent 3/8th drive set is all you'll need with sizes up to 22mm or so.) get the same sizes as your spanners. Common sizes you'll need are, (in mm.) 8, 10, 11 (For bled nipples.) 13, 14, (For certain brake hydraulic fittings.) 17, 19. That'll get you started.

Pete

:2c:

...and when you buy those sockets make sure they are 6 point sockets, not 12 point. You're much less likely to round off a bolt head with a 6 point socket.

As they said plus...

Set of feeler gauges for setting valve clearances.

A decent plug spanner that fits well.

27mm ring spanner beats an adjustable for wheel nuts.

Funnel for adding oil.

Workshop stand.

Welcome & Good luck! KB :sun:

As they said plus...

Set of feeler gauges for setting valve clearances.

A decent plug spanner that fits well.

27mm ring spanner beats an adjustable for wheel nuts.

Funnel for adding oil.

Workshop stand.

Welcome & Good luck! KB :sun:

More good advice, thanks KB!