tires 2002 LeMans

dp.guzzi

Yes. For the longest time, the fitment of choice seemed to be BT010F/BT020R, or equivalent. Then the MEZ6 came out and everyone who tried'em never looked back...

;)

In the grand scheme of things, I'm simply not a fast enough rider to seriously evaluate tire in dry conditions. I *can* tell you that I have little confidence in MEZ4s in the wet from my experience with how squirrelly they get when crossing over paint lines in the street any time there's the least hint of moisture in the air. Conti Sports [precursor to the Road Attacks] were a significant improvement, but could still get a little sketchy when mist was in the air. The Z6s are another big step up from the Sports. Currently running an Avon AV46 in the rear on my daily rider [an SV650], & so far it's like a giant leap backwards, even less impressive than the MEZ4s that came w/ the SV, but a BIG part of that may just be due to the tire's age [a closeout deal that I had in hand when a shop was repairing my SV after an accident, and put on the Z6s w/o my authorization; I suspect they wanted to take the SV to a track day, since they put close to 500mi on it after they put the new tires on... :glare:]

As Ratch' said, this is the golden age for moto tire technolog: you can hardly go wrong by fitting new tires of the appropriate type & proper fitment from any of the major quality brands. Key words to look for are "dual compound," "high silica," and of course, "sport." :grin:

:mg:

Thanks much for the detailed comparisons. :notworthy: What do you think of my OE tires: Metzler Sport Tec M1m

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...To each his own, and may no man as much as IMPLY he knows wot's "best" -- least of all, for anyone else! ...

:thumbsup: There's hope yet. There's a saying (perhaps someone here knows it?) along the lines of: Before deciding about a man..."walk a mile in his shoes"...(but obviously down the road he walks, not for example around a racetrack).

Now, if we could just work on those last few, subtle touches of sarcasm.... :homer:

:bier:

KB :sun:

When the capabilities of the bike or rider exceed those of the tires.

True but, sometimes better tires can save an inexperienced rider from himself. There can't be too much traction

Guest ratchethack

At what point does loss of traction become significant? :unsure:

This is a Q that I b'lieve plumbs the greatest moto tire enginering advancements of the last decade or so, where IMHO truly exceptional handling and road holding have emerged from a long plateau of relative mediocrity. Where such levels of performance were once more of a rare exception, IMHO it's now the rule.

Coupla thoughts.

I can recall a time when any lost traction on pavement with road tires when hard over in a curve near the traction limit (with few exceptions) would invariably result in a low-side, or more spectacularly, a high-side. Loss of traction in the above circumstance past the limit was for the most part sudden, unpredictable, and complete. :o It kept riders from riding anywhere near the levels so easily achieved today in The Golden Age of Moto Tires. B)

Where I have personally noticed the greatest level of improvement in moto tires is in the latest generation of steel radials. They now provide partial traction capability that I find both usable, predictable, and greatly confidence-inspiring. To address Keith's Q above directly, "the limit" is no longer such a sharp "point". Now "the limit" is spread out over a nicely progressive range. The best comparison I have for this is the ability to slide under full control of the bike under power, the way I first learned to do with dirt bikes decades ago and now do routinely and subconsciously in the soft stuff with the big trailie -- though of course to a far greater degree and ease than possible on pavement! :P

WHOA THERE, Geronimo -- Though Reuben Xaus may well be capable of doing this with just about any of the current crop of road tires on pavement, I'm not suggesting flat-track style power sliding around every curve!!! Wot I am suggesting is that with the latest generation of steel radials, we now have added a new margin of real-world safety, comfort, and control -- a progressive cushion if you will -- of extended grip with control that didn't exist in road tires a generation back. I've slid both ends of the Guzzi under power many many times with several different kinds of road tires around curves that without question would've had me vaulting the armco and worse on me old Dunlop Gold Seals under the mighty old A65 BSA! :blush:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Where I have personally noticed the greatest level of improvement in moto tires is in the latest generation of steel radials. They now provide partial traction capability that I find both usable, predictable, and greatly confidence-inspiring. To address Keith's Q above directly, "the limit" is no longer such a sharp "point". Now "the limit" is spread out over a nicely progressive range.

This is an excellent point. It should be noted that from the moment tires are installed they start to harden. Every heat cycle coupled with time slowly harden the compound. So a tire that may have had excellent traction characteristics new could have a fairly rapid break away when aged.

The original poster has a 2002 (purchased new in 2005) with 8000 miles on the original tires. I had a similar circumstance buying a 2002 in 2005 with only 900 miles on it. The tires looked great but there is no doubt the effects of time made traction suffer.

I think this fact plays a major roll in the conception that one brand is so much better than another after changing to new tires.

Guest ratchethack

This is an excellent point. It should be noted that from the moment tires are installed they start to harden. Every heat cycle coupled with time slowly harden the compound. So a tire that may have had excellent traction characteristics new could have a fairly rapid break away when aged.

:thumbsup:

Well said, Dan, and another very important point! IMHO this explains why we occasionally get horrific reports of foul handling and ice-rink grip on particular tires that otherwise get very good reviews from many others -- they've been so little used that they've aged into bakelite with plenty of tread left!! :homer:

Many guys I know buy wotever tires the dealer has on the rack. :( VERY BAD IDEA. <_< Wotever's left on the rack are invariably leftovers that someone ordered by mistake, the customer never came in to pay for, obsoleted models, etc., and they've been ageing for who knows how long -- years?!?! Best order the latest and greatest tires "oven fresh" every time to ensure they're not only the latest models, but that they're in their prime!! :race:

Now this may just be me, but I find there's nothin' quite so fine as the semi-acrid aroma of a fresh new set of Metzler Z6's in the morning! :thumbsup:

True but, sometimes better tires can save an inexperienced rider from himself. There can't be too much traction

Agreed, but it's usually the front that makes the difference. Modern sport-touring radials will allow you to grind the footpegs of a Multi, VFR, Sprint, etc., into razor sharp memories. Putting a pure sport tire on the front gives you a little headroom in a panic situation.

It boils down to, "You pays your money, you makes your choice."

.... the greatest level of improvement in moto tires is in the latest generation of steel radials. They now provide partial traction capability that I find both usable, predictable, and greatly confidence-inspiring. To address Keith's Q above directly, "the limit" is no longer such a sharp "point". Now "the limit" is spread out over a nicely progressive range. ....

Spot on :thumbsup:

Although the correct answer to my question was: That moment before you land on yer arse.

Guest ratchethack

Ratch, this make me feel very old :oldgit:

:bier: hope to meet you sometime :bier::drink:

Well Antonio -- Lest I miss my read on this, neither of us are getting any younger -- eh my friend? :oldgit:

And I hope to meet you one day as well. :thumbsup::bier:

If you should find yourself on the West Coast of the USA, I'd welcome an opportunity to take you to places where you could see for yourself why saying that Southern California is one of the World's most prominent Sport Bike Mecca's on the planet is neither arrogance nor boast on my part (and how could it be, I have no personal stake in such a statement?? :huh2: ). . . It's simply a fact. ;):race:

One of my favorite rides, the East Grade ascent of Palomar Mountain, within easy striking distance of the Hatchracket Guzzi Works:

post-1212-1189786627.jpg

Well Antonio -- Lest I miss my read on this, neither of us are getting any younger -- eh my friend? :oldgit:

And I hope to meet you one day as well. :thumbsup::bier:

If you should find yourself on the West Coast of the USA, I'd welcome an opportunity to take you to places where you could see for yourself why saying that Southern California is one of the World's most prominent Sport Bike Mecca's on the planet is neither arrogance nor boast on my part (and how could it be, I have no personal stake in such a statement?? :huh2: ). . . It's simply a fact. ;):race:

One of my favorite rides, the East Grade ascent of Palomar Mountain, within easy striking distance of the Hatchracket Guzzi Works:

Nice picture, Ratchethack. I'd like to meet you sometime too. I know what you mean about the road up Palomar Mountain. I get out to the west coast once or twice a year. Are there any Guzzi's for rent somewhere in the LA-San Diego region? Friends of mine have a hacienda in Rosalita as well. Is it realistic to take a bike into Mexico?

best,

John

Guest ratchethack
Nice picture, Ratchethack. I'd like to meet you sometime too. I know what you mean about the road up Palomar Mountain. I get out to the west coast once or twice a year. Are there any Guzzi's for rent somewhere in the LA-San Diego region? Friends of mine have a hacienda in Rosalita as well. Is it realistic to take a bike into Mexico?

best,

John

C'mon out, John. No Guzzi's for rent that I know of in So California, but Mark Etheridge and the boys at Moto Guzzi Classics in Signal Hill (LA) would be my first place to check for such a thing, in case he's got a spare he might be pursuaded to let out for hire.

As far as it being "realistic" to take a bike into Mexico -- well, it's done all the time, and after the infamous Baja 1000 race, I've seen guys ride down the street and right up the stairs INSIDE the infamous Miramar Bar in San Felipe, do burnouts on the floor in front of the bar, knock back a line of tequila shots while sitting on their bikes (motors running), bash back out thru the classic swinging doors on the rear tire, fly over the stairs and out into traffic -- blind -- that is, without anyone on the other side looking for foot or wheeled traffic. :whistle: NOTE: These are Americanos who do this (it's TRADITIONAL, y'unnerstan' <_< ), but the Federales are well trained (la mordida) to look the other way as long as the Gringo dollar$ flow in over the counters. . .So in summary, I'd say that if you consider it "realistic" to take YOURSELF into northern Mexico, you'd probably consider it just as "realistic" to take a bike. . . :huh2::grin:

I reckon you mean Rosarito, not Rosalita? Not a bad stretch of beach to spend some time and there are some famous surf breaks -- if you can ignore wot you have to go thru on the way down to get there. <_<

As for meself, the raucous days of crawling between clubs in Tijuana, Ensenada, and Rosarito Beach came and went many moons ago, and there's NOTHING this side of 300 km south o' the border that interests me in the slightest anymore. Myself and many I know are MIGHTY lucky to've survived. . . :blush: Some didn't (no joke), and many still don't today. :( Put it this way: On a bike, I'd sooner break down on the Afghanistan side of the Khyber Pass without an AK-47 and a good supply of ammo, than in El Norte Baja WITH one. . . :o:whistle:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV