tires 2002 LeMans

dp.guzzi

Hello All

I have a 2002 LeMans, purchased new in May 2005. It came with Bridgestone tires. I now have 8000 miles and need new tires.

Q1: How many miles should I expect from a set of tires ( I guess about 8000 miles)

Q2: What tires do you guys recommend?

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome dp guzzi! To be honest I haven't cheked my tire mileage exactly, usually the front lasts longer than the rear but 8000 seems about right. I am on my second set of Michelin pilot roads which I like very much, good grip and wear well.They also have a new tire coming out soon a dual compound tire already available in Europe which is supposed to be very good, harder compound in the center for waer and softer on the edges for grip.

Hal

Hello All

I have a 2002 LeMans, purchased new in May 2005. It came with Bridgestone tires. I now have 8000 miles and need new tires.

Q1: How many miles should I expect from a set of tires ( I guess about 8000 miles)

Thanks

I to have an 02 LeMans. I'm currently running Metzler Z6's. Quite a bit better than the Bridgestones that came on the bike, especially after 5 years worth of aging.

Hello All

Thanks

Pirelli Dragon Strada/Metzler MEZ6 [same tire, different brands]; use a 170/60 profile rear tire instead of the stock 180/55 to sharpen up the handling. I haven't actually got around to trying this on my own, still running the Bridgestone's ['cause I'm cheap!], but it seems to be the general consensus when this topic has arisen in the past (which about every 6 months or so?)

:thumbsup:

:mg:

dp, I have 8300 miles on my bike and am on my third rear and second front. The original hopeless Bridgestone rear was worn out at 4500 miles. The front badly cupped as have many others. I replaced both with Continental Contiforces, a 170/60 rear and a 120/70 front. Going down a size on the rear as many have found is worthwhile. These tyres are a marked improvement over the original fitments. This rear was worn out after 3000 miles. I don't like mixing brands so this was replaced with another Continental, this time the standard 180/55. The front has lasted well, this will changed when the current rear tyre wears out. The front is an interesting dual compound, softer on the sides and harder in the centre, you can see the higher wear rate on the sides. I guess our roads being of the coarse chip type are a lot harder on tyres than roads in other parts of the world. My aggressive riding style as well isn't conducive to long tyre life. There is a lot written here about peoples tyre preferences, just do a search on the subject. Don't forget to grease your drive shaft while you have your rear wheel off.

Rob

Pirelli Dragon Strada/Metzler MEZ6 [same tire, different brands]; use a 170/60 profile rear tire instead of the stock 180/55 to sharpen up the handling. I haven't actually got around to trying this on my own, still running the Bridgestone's ['cause I'm cheap!], but it seems to be the general consensus when this topic has arisen in the past (which about every 6 months or so?)

:thumbsup:

:mg:

If you mean Pirelli Diablo Strada I agree 100%. And I like them better than the Metzler of apparent same lineage. I found the Pirelli more progressive in slippage. YMMV

To say any tyres are always the right choice is nonsense. Tyre preference is always subjective & it seems to me most opinion is based on very limited experience of the options available. Most modern radials from major brands seem good. Choice depends on handling & grip preferences, availability, cost & wear.

Tyres that grip better wear faster.

Wear on any tyre depends entirely on how you use it but can vary from maybe 1k miles for a hard ridden sport tyre to 10k + for a very steady rider on a touring tyre.

Performance of some tyres goes off as they wear, others perform fairly consistently.

How do you use the bike?

KB :sun:

Guest motomentel

Hello All

Thanks

I also have a 2002 Leman's 14890 for milage . I just replace oe tires with Michelin Pilot road stock size's I went with the Michelins based on my stile of driving ( not to agessive ) I'm more concern about traction if caught in the rain. I really like the new tire's

If you mean Pirelli Diablo Strada I agree 100%. And I like them better than the Metzler of apparent same lineage. I found the Pirelli more progressive in slippage. YMMV

Yes! "Diablo," not "Dragon" Stradas. Sorry 'bout the confusion there...

:huh:

giuseppe.foppa@rtsi.ch

Hello All

Thanks

giuseppe.foppa@rtsi.chTry the the new bridgestone bt 021! i'm very happy with it.

Hello All

Thanks

Welcome!

Excellent taste, that Champagne '02.

Previous owner had Conti Road Attacks mounted at 7210 miles. I believe these replaced whatever the originals were. Bought the bike at about 10,500 miles and had the Contis replaced with Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs at 14766 miles. Rear was sort of squared off from mostly straight-line commuting, but the tread was lower than I like riding on anyway, especially in the rain. Front had maybe 1000 more miles left but didn't want to mix.

New tires are nice. :race:

I wondered, what is the best tread design for rain? I'm not asking about rubber composition, just the tread.

I had a detailed discussion with some technical types at the NY motorcycle show. My question was, given the few grooves and wide spacing compared to automobile tires intended for good traction on wet roads, how effective were the grooves on the typical sport bike tires at preventing hydro planing?

I'm sorry to say that none of those I asked at the show could give me a satisfactory answer. When I pressed on the issue, the general answer was that the tire design had primarily revolved around dry pavement cornering and traction.

If I'm riding long distance and get stuck in the rain, I feel somewhat nervous about hydroplaning, and find myself being very conservative around corners. (Maybe it has something to do with the screw put in my knee and three operations to hold it together when I slid off the road a long time ago). The tread design on my Yamaha Venture heavy cruiser is much more like a traditional universal tire, and I feel more secure.

I'm willing to sacrifice some dry corning traction if I can get reasonable life and the best wet cornering traction. I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance,

John

Hello All

Thanks

Most modern sport touring tires will give a nice balance of traction and wear and be considerably better than the factory Bridgestones. I replaced the Bridgestones on mine with Pirelli Stradas and really like them. I have expereince with the Metzeler Z6 on another bike and they are really nice as well.