Newbie Needing Help on Diffs Between Guzzi Models

Rob

Hi--Although new to Guzzi's I have been riding bikes for 42 years (gawd that sounds like I'm ancient....). Always been intrigued by MG's and am in the looking stage now, but so many questions!! I am down to looking at either a V11 (only those with all the latest/greatest engine and tranny improvements) -- OR -- one of the new type Breva, V12 Sport, Norge.

If I bought a V11 other than a Ballabio or Cafe Sport, I know I would need to change the riding position. I think this will eliminate the LeMans and its variants, because the change to real honest to gosh handlebars (as outlined elsewhere) is too limited by the fairing. OK... so I BELIEVE that leaves me with a V11 Sport Naked or a Ballabio or a Cafe Sport, as contenders in the V11 camp. I think the Ballabio and Cafe Sport had the latest (V11) engine/tranny improvements. I know the Cafe had the Ohlins, the Ballabio does not.

So first question--What years of the V11 Sport Naked had the latest engine/tranny improvements? Which (if any) V11 Sports Naked had the Ohlins?

Second question--boy this is loaded asking it on the V11 forum I guess!--Are there any advantages of a new model Breva etc over a V11 (once the riding position on the V11 is sorted out)? Personally I dont like the looks of the new models, but I have not seen in person. Also, I have read comments here about them being soul-less. But if they are more sorted out, more rideable, better handling, more comfortable, have more torque, or something, that would trump looks.

Any input is appreciated!!

Hi,

New to the V11 but I love mine the first 3 weeks I have had it. If money is not an issue, there is a 2004 V11 that has 1K miles on it in WA that looks really nice. BIN Price is up there though at $8K.

2004 Moto Guzzi : V11 Sport Item number: 330162966728

To the best of my knowledge, the only V11 variants that come with bar risers and handlebars are the Coppa Italia, Cafe' Sport, and Ballabio, in what basically is "descending order" of trim. The Ballabio is, in essence, a V11 Sport Naked with a cast aluminum headlamp mount, slightly smaller headlamp, windscreen, and handlebars. The Cafe' Sport is a Ballabio in "Bronze Gold color" with Ohlins suspension and carbon fiber front fender, side covers, and starter cover. The Coppa Italia is the same parts as the Cafe' Sport but with a (beautiful, IMHO) 3 tone paint scheme, and the factory titanium exhaust kit with matching ECU.

Pretty much every other (stock) V11 variant made came equipped with clip-ons from the factory. Of those, the Rosso Corsa, Nero Corsa, and Scura came from the factory with Ohlins suspension.

I have yet to ride any of the newer Guzzi machines, so I can't comment on them other than to say I personally prefer the look of the V11.

From some photos I've seen the Ballabio handlebar setup appears to work with the Le Mans fairing, but I haven't seen one in the flesh myself.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search.

To the best of my knowledge, the only V11 variants that come with bar risers and handlebars are the Coppa Italia, Cafe' Sport, and Ballabio, in what basically is "descending order" of trim. The Ballabio is, in essence, a V11 Sport Naked with a cast aluminum headlamp mount, slightly smaller headlamp, windscreen, and handlebars. The Cafe' Sport is a Ballabio in "Bronze Gold color" with Ohlins suspension and carbon fiber front fender, side covers, and starter cover. The Coppa Italia is the same parts as the Cafe' Sport but with a (beautiful, IMHO) 3 tone paint scheme, and the factory titanium exhaust kit with matching ECU.

Pretty much every other (stock) V11 variant made came equipped with clip-ons from the factory. Of those, the Rosso Corsa, Nero Corsa, and Scura came from the factory with Ohlins suspension.

I have yet to ride any of the newer Guzzi machines, so I can't comment on them other than to say I personally prefer the look of the V11.

From some photos I've seen the Ballabio handlebar setup appears to work with the Le Mans fairing, but I haven't seen one in the flesh myself.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search.

Your summary seems well thought out, Rob. The Cafe Sport/ Coppa and Ballabio perhaps won't need you to fit different bars, and won't require a lot of fuss/cash if you do.

The newer bikes (Breva, Griso) benefit from a better sump design and dual plug heads, and the Norge presumably does what it looks like it would do, which is a whole different vibe from the V11 series. The new bikes don't quite ring my bell like the older ones, but I think the 1100 Sport and Sporti owners would say much the same thing. You'll have to follow your personal tastes, but you seem well up to tracking the variables, so I would be optimistic your choice will be the right one. Absolutely. :bier:

Nothing to add about different models, but my experience with a V11 Sport Naked may help you decide. I too have been riding for over 35 years, having many different bikes from 2-strokes to Harleys. I bought my V11 sight unseen, and never even sat on one. I had ridden one of my brothers Ducati Monster and loved the handling, and the naked look, but wanted a little bigger bike. When the bike showed up, my first thought was OMG what have I done? The riding position was a lot more radical than I was used to. But I felt completely in control of the bike. After a short time, I found I could support myself with my torso, not my wrists, especially above 40mph. Now I wouldn't change a thing. So if you can find a test ride, you may like it. The Ohlins suspension may be worth getting, but I haven't even finished dialing in the Marzocci suspension on mine.

As far as motor/clutch/tranny/electrical upgrades, any 04 has them all, probably 03 too.

Here is some model/year info you may already have found in your search:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

Good Luck

Joe

PS, I don't care for the new models, too overstyled for my tastes. But variety is the spice of life, isn't it?

It's a bit difficult to really be helpful with info about the 'Latest improvements' to the V11 series. Apart from stretching the neck of the frame in 2001 (?) and the different suspension options they are all essentially the same package. there were some detail changes to some models and also a couple of recalls for defective parts on some models but really a V11 is a V11 is a V11 under it's skin.

Likewise the *new* models have different frames and running gear but the basic motive unit and rear suspension package is universal. There HAVE been some changes to the engine, most notably a new oil pump during the manufacture of the post V11 series engines and there are more capacity variations created by different stroke lengths and bores and on the larger engined models the change to bore/stroke ratio makes them considerably smoother and revier than the earlier V11's.

They are all still very much 'Big Block Guzzis though which means if you get off a 1967 V7 and climb on a Griso you'll find more in common between the two bikes than differences :grin:

Pete

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Sound like I'm on the right track, then, in terms of staying with a Sport Naked, Cafe Sport or Ballabio. Joe's steer to the FAQ on the various V11 changes was very helpful, as I had not seen that before. From that FAQ, I take it that the height of drivetrain refinement for the V11 came in 2003 and that there would be some plusses in staying with an '03 '04 or '05 bike that has the exhaust crossover. From other reading, I also understand that many folks who own the Cafe Sport and Ballabio have removed the unusual frame mounted fairing as being too 'buffetty' and replaced it with a fork mounted type.

Hi Rob.

As a beat, battered and busted up old 50 something I'd just like to say don't discard the option of an earlier V11 and the features unique to the earlier bikes.

Looking at my '01 I thought I'd never last more than 5 minutes a ride without having to get off and stretch. Much to my surprise though the stock seat and bars really work for me. Last Saturday I did 602 miles here through the state of Maine. I was ready to be done at the end of the day but was far less discomforted than on any of the other bikes I've owned.

Best bike I've had in 40 years of riding.

From that FAQ, I take it that the height of drivetrain refinement for the V11 came in 2003 and that there would be some plusses in staying with an '03 '04 or '05 bike that has the exhaust crossover.

The front crossover on the newer V11's supposedly helps the midrange flat spot in the powerband, but some owners have had leaking, rattling and cracking problems with that design. On older V11s the midrange flat spot can be helped, as well as the rest of the powerband, by replacing the stock crossover under the transmission with an aftermarket crossover.

There are a number of higher/closer handlebar solutions that will fit on the LeMans and clear the fairing, but many new owners who have come here looking for higher bars and lower pegs have been advised to just ride it for a while before changing anything, and they've found that the stock ergo's are actually just fine.

If you're considering a new Guzzi you should be aware that a new, presumably more powerful 8 valve motor is just about to be introduced in the Griso. It shouldn't be long before it's available in the other current models, and maybe some new models.

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Sound like I'm on the right track, then, in terms of staying with a Sport Naked, Cafe Sport or Ballabio. Joe's steer to the FAQ on the various V11 changes was very helpful, as I had not seen that before. From that FAQ, I take it that the height of drivetrain refinement for the V11 came in 2003 and that there would be some plusses in staying with an '03 '04 or '05 bike that has the exhaust crossover. From other reading, I also understand that many folks who own the Cafe Sport and Ballabio have removed the unusual frame mounted fairing as being too 'buffetty' and replaced it with a fork mounted type.

Buy an '04. They have the least reported problems. '03 would be my second choice.

No '05 V11 models were brought into the USA. '02 models had horrible engine paint problems.

I don't know how high you wanna go with bars, but several people have put tubular bars off a Ballabio onto a LeMans.

MPH Cycles have a nice fix for higher bars if you buy a bike with clipons.

Risers_a.jpg

:mg: I know the process you are in. Been there myself.

After wanting a Guzzi for many years I tested a Griso, I liked the motor but there was a big transmissionlash, clunky gerarbox and some peculiar handling.

Then I tested a Breva 1100 and that bike really didn´t click for me. It was to soft (the engine rests on rubber in the front) to slow and damn ugly. I didn´t hear of anybody who likes the Breva!???

After this two test I thought that maybe Guzzi wasn´t for me. But......then I tested a 2000 Vll Sport and then I understand what Guzzi is all about. The V11 pulls hard, rumbles the engine in a nice way, is pretty quick, loooks wonderful and its simply got soul.

After that under 2006 I bought a brand new LeMans 2002-3 and it is a lovely bike. I have now bought a brand new Cafe Sport 2004, which I haven´t yet driven (its stands inside my house waiting for next summer) I don´t really know if Im going to sell the LeMans, but probably not bevause it goes so well so I don´t understand how the Cafe Sport could be any better! (yes I know about the Öhlins and the bars)

So, what I want to say Is, by any V11, from 1999-2005 and you will love it.

I wanted a Griso, until I sat on one... my left knee was jammed against the cylinder and the shroud that surrounded it. Didn't feel like waiting another year or more for a Norge. I couldn't find a Nero Corsa I could afford. The look of the Tenni just grabbed me, so I bought one. I replaced my shift pawl spring before it broke, addressed a couple of other minor glitches and just ride it.

Would a new Norge be smoother? Probably. Does it make more power? Yup. For that matter, so are and do a host of other bikes. Nothing, and I mean nothing, does for me what the Tenni does. It looks right, feels right, sounds right, rides great, handles well, and is as close to a living beast as a mechanical thing can be. She breaths, shudders, kicks, snorts, and occasionally mis-behaves like a fine thoroughbred should. Point her down a twisty road, and she begs for more.

Buy any V11 that grabs your soul, and you won't be disappointed. Truly the only way to disappoint yourself with one of these bikes is to waste another season playing "What about this one?" instead of taking the plunge and getting in the saddle.

Garsdad

After wanting a Guzzi for many years I tested a Griso, I liked the motor but there was a big transmissionlash, clunky gerarbox and some peculiar handling.

all the gearbox/transmission problems I've read about are due to poor adjustment and newness of the cush drive in the shaft. as for 'Peculiar Handling'?Yes, it's fully adjustable and uses a true rising rate linkage. So you should adjust it for your personal style and needs otherwise it's bound to be 'Peculiar'! I found mine was set up Far, far too stiff in the springs and the damping was too harsh on both compression and rebound. If the bike you rode was anything like the same then it too would of been very un-enjoyable.

Pete