Titanium cans, fit and go?

andylong

Hi all, I'm a new member and really learned a lot form the site - a bit daunted though by the accumlated knowledge of all the Guzzista out there.

I have had Guzzis for years - still own the 1980 mk11 Leman that we had our honeymoon on in Northern Spain.

I just got back into everyday riding on a guzzi - '06 V11 Cafe Sport - absolutely fantastic. I do about 400 milesa week - getting to work and back. It seems to have got the old flat spot blues, but I am learning to drive round it.

OK, so I bought the cafe sport and then a set of titanium cans from TLM (my favourite European dealer - came in post in 3 days!). What does anyone think - Can I just fit the cans (full kit) with the new CDI unit and then hit the road or will I have to take it to a dealer and get them to set up the idle........etc.

I rebuilt both my other Guzzis (sp 1000, and MK2 Leman) from the ground up so I am not completely lost on mechancal things, but right now I could use a dictionary - much of the new language associated with tuning or setting these electonic injection bikes up is foxing me.

Any advice on the way to get the most out of the bike - economically, while building up my own knowledge base would be very helpful.

Since I am here - a great site, and definately in the spirit of Guzzi comraderie.

A

Hi all, I'm a new member and really learned a lot form the site - a bit daunted though by the accumlated knowledge of all the Guzzista out there.

I have had Guzzis for years - still own the 1980 mk11 Leman that we had our honeymoon on in Northern Spain.

I just got back into everyday riding on a guzzi - '06 V11 Cafe Sport - absolutely fantastic. I do about 400 milesa week - getting to work and back. It seems to have got the old flat spot blues, but I am learning to drive round it.

OK, so I bought the cafe sport and then a set of titanium cans from TLM (my favourite European dealer - came in post in 3 days!). What does anyone think - Can I just fit the cans (full kit) with the new CDI unit and then hit the road or will I have to take it to a dealer and get them to set up the idle........etc.

I rebuilt both my other Guzzis (sp 1000, and MK2 Leman) from the ground up so I am not completely lost on mechancal things, but right now I could use a dictionary - much of the new language associated with tuning or setting these electonic injection bikes up is foxing me.

Any advice on the way to get the most out of the bike - economically, while building up my own knowledge base would be very helpful.

Since I am here - a great site, and definately in the spirit of Guzzi comraderie.

A

Hi

I also have a Cafe Sport, brand new 2004 model. (As I understand they where only made 2003-2005)

I haven´t yet driven it, I wait till the spring 2008. Meanwhile I have my 2002/03 LeMans to drive. I´m glad you like the Cafe Sport, hopefully I will do to. I surtainly know I like the looks, the Öhlins and the high bars!

Anyway, I also have the bought the MG titanium cans and ecu but yet it´s still in the box. In the instructions that follove :mg::mg::mg::mg: d they write the TPS should be adjusted. :mg::mg:

As with all the fuel injected Guzzi's, I would consider having the bike run on a dynamometer to map what the fuel/air mixture is like. If it is anything like mine, then you will probably find that the bike is set up very, very lean in order to meet emission regulations. No doubt the replacement chip that comes with your cans will go some way to sorting this, but I still think it would be worth checking out. Once I had fitted K&N filters and some Leo Vinci cans, I needed to have the fueling increased by as much as 86% over standard to achieve something like stoichiometric ratio.

Anyway, I also have the bought the MG titanium cans and ecu but yet it´s still in the box. In the instructions that followed they write the TPS should be adjusted.

No, they do not write that the TPS should be adjusted!! They give a perfect description of how the throttle bodies, the blades, should be tuned, step for step and at least in a very clear and pointed Italian.

What it says is that in case you're not able to tune things right it might be neccessary to check the TPS baseline setting and bring it eventually back to the correct value.

A TPS is nothing that can be adjusted. It knows only one correct position, given in the manual. It's just a replacement for Bernouille's Law, and as such it is not subject to adjusting to whatever needs.

Try to see it this way.

BTW, what the manual also says is that it might be neccessary to adjust the CO value. For this you need to go to a shop that has the appropriate tools (software).

Hubert

.....I needed to have the fueling increased by as much as 86% over standard to achieve something like stoichiometric ratio.

.......................................... 86% over standard ..........................................

Never!

...I have had Guzzis for years - still own the 1980 mk11 Leman that we had our honeymoon on in Northern Spain....

Can I just fit the cans (full kit) with the new CDI unit and then hit the road or will I have to take it to a dealer and get them to set up the idle........etc.

I rebuilt both my other Guzzis (sp 1000, and MK2 Leman) from the ground up so I am not completely lost on mechancal things, but right now I could use a dictionary - much of the new language associated with tuning or setting these electonic injection bikes up is foxing me. ...

similar story here. LM11 / T3 which I still use (in fact it's the only one going now cos Scura is in bits), rebuilt over & over. Don't know anything much about servicing FI on Scura...I get the impression it's not so difficult just never looked into it...it tends to stay good once set (unlike carbs on LM11 which need doing every couple of weeks or so...). Baldrick @ Corsa Italiana set up fueling & did a good job...then when I fitted Ti/ECU kit I had it set up by Mike at MotoCorsa (same premises as Motomecca) & dynoed. Runs great. But (unlike others above) originally with kit ECU was v lumpy, dyno set up made big improvement. I'm not convinced all kit ECU's are same.

Where are you?

KB :sun:

A

I bought a TI kit last week from TLM(...still in the box).

I would like to ask you if your CDI has any kind of label,

because mine has only a pencil mark and...that"s it.

I have seen photos of CDI with sticker , .....and I wonder what goes on

Let me know what label or mark has your CDI

If your bike is recently adjusted (valves, tps, etc) , fit the kit ....and have fun!!!!!!

There are no special adjustments for the TI kit

I bought a TI kit last week from TLM(...still in the box).

I would like to ask you if your CDI has any kind of label,

because mine has only a pencil mark and...that"s it.

If your bike is recently adjusted (valves, tps, etc) , fit the kit ....and have fun!!!!!!

There are no special adjustments for the TI kit

Mine had no marks at all (bought 1,5 years ago). It still worked fine.

Let me know what label or mark has your CDI...

ECU that came w/my Ti kit had California label & a blob of yellow paint. I asked around & concensus was Guzzi programme whatever comes to hand when other correctly labelled ones run out etc. When I fitted mine it didn't run good straight off. As others found, swapping between kit ECU & stock ECU gave different characteristics but neither right. Stock ran smoother but perhaps a bit breathless, kit ran lumpy & obviously (to me) richer. Dyno sorted it.

KB :sun:

The sticker is laying separately in the box somewhere. Check the plastic bags.

You can probably take every WM15 that comes handy and flash it with the approriate software to turn it into a Titanium unit.

Hubert

Mine was pretty much "plug and play" with a bit of a flat spot in the 4,200 to 5,000 range, if I remember correctly. It burped and farted a bit, but that seemed to be resolved when I put on the Mistral X-over. I am not sure if the Mistral fixed it, or if I just hadn't sufficiently tightened everything, and upon reassmbly of the entire exhaust when I did the X-over, the thing healed itself.

Here are my pics of r/r of OEM to Titanium

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=12vg8a...=0&y=pmfnp1

:bier:

:homer:

Sorry if the link didn't work -

I'm trying to fix it now.

:luigi: