The leash is too short

I've noticed lately a lesser tolerance for,........ threads with much of anything of substance. I'm probably not alone, but if I am, I'd just like to say, maybe it's time for an additional area on this web site for threads that have entered into a level of offensiveness for those who are easily offended. I barely get a chance to read the first entry on some of these things [being on the NA west coast, it's all over by the time I get home]

One recent thread was removed that when I first read it, was as happy and non threatening as a new born puppy. Then GONE.

Dare I say this thread may be on the block simply because it will touch sensitive nerves?

Ciao, Steve

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I only close threads when they get out of hand or appear to get out of hand. I NEVER delete stuff.

what other Mods do, well, I don't have the time to check and they're free to act as they see fit.

But, this is a Moto Guzzi V11 related site and inflammatory discussions on off-topics are out of place here IMO. So, I'm not going to open another subforum where people can do/write what they want.

Use the Wildguzzi forum instead. Luap will be very happy to host these threads... :not:

FWIW, I only close threads when they get out of hand or appear to get out of hand. I NEVER delete stuff.

what other Mods do, well, I don't have the time to check and they're free to act as they see fit.

But, this is a Moto Guzzi V11 related site and inflammatory discussions on off-topics are out of place here IMO. So, I'm not going to open another subforum where people can do/write what they want.

Use the Wildguzzi forum instead. Luap will be very happy to host these threads... :not:

Here's the perfect place for Guzzi fans who just can't seem to keep their politics to themselves on this board (take a bow Ratchet):

http://illuminatiguzzisti.forumcircle.com/

There seem to be plenty of sharp guys over there who are more than willing to debate global warming, politics, or whatever else Rush Limbaugh may have you fired up about. I think they even discuss Guzzis on occasion :)

Keep up the good work Jaap!

I've noticed lately a lesser tolerance for,........ threads with much of anything of substance....

Seems to me Jaap only closes things when he figures they have descended, or are about to descend into mindless bickering, namecalling & bitching.

:thumbsup: Jaap!

KB :sun:

This is the v11lemans.com website.

If you want to chat about your bike & your bike happens to be a v11, this is the place for you.

If you have a v11 & want to bicker about politics there are plenty of places on the web for that as well.

Maybe MoveOn.Commy? Or IloveGWBush.Orgasm or greenpeace.bombthrowers :P:grin:

Anyway those places are there for you & will welcome you with open arms, (if you're on their side of the fence that is).

I never delete stuff without shooting Jaap a pm about it. I locked a topic once but still reported it, The only ones besides Jaap and Paul that can do those things is me and in this area Martin. I would be suprised if something got deleted thats usually reserved for spam, bad topics just get put on lockdown and thrown into the archive forum never to be heard from again, unless you want to read a 100 pages of dribble its all right there for you. :nerd:

I don't care re topics in this section, you don't have to read them. It's when something say in tech forum gets infected & hi-jacked by personal bickering that I can't be doing with. You're interested in the original discussion & you have to plough thru acres of crap to pick out the bits still on topic. I can't be arsed with that so I don't bother - puts me off the forum. So let this section be for that stuff & leave it out of the rest.

KB :sun:

Guest ratchethack

"The leash" is as long or as short as Jaap says it needs to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

No one else has the ability, the right, nor the position to disagree -- exactly as it should be. -_-

By all means, I hope Jaap NEVER succumbs to the common fallacy of building some kind of a "consensus rule", chasing some silly notion of "fairness" or egalitarian democracy on a Web board! :bbblll:

Q: How is any Forum contributor to know what the bounds of acceptable posting behavior are?

A: By witnessing and/or experiencing the consequences of crossing those boundaries.

May Jaap never be questioned on the exercise of good judgment, nor on someone else's idea of consistency! -_-

Jaap, I beg your acceptance of my apologies for crossing the line if (er, make that when ) I've done so. :blush:

Thanks again for all you do.

Carry on! :thumbsup:

Cdr. Hatchracket

"The leash" is as long or as short as Jaap says it needs to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

No one else has the ability, the right, nor the position to disagree -- exactly as it should be. -_-

By all means, I hope Jaap NEVER succumbs to the common fallacy of building some kind of a "consensus rule", chasing some silly notion of "fairness" or egalitarian democracy on a Web board! :bbblll:

Q: How is any Forum contributor to know what the bounds of acceptable posting behavior are?

A: By witnessing and/or experiencing the consequences of crossing those boundaries.

May Jaap never be questioned on the exercise of good judgment, nor on someone else's idea of consistency! -_-

Jaap, I beg your acceptance of my apologies for crossing the line if (er, make that when ) I've done so. :blush:

Thanks again for all you do.

Carry on! :thumbsup:

Cdr. Hatchracket

THATS it youve crossed the line with your over the top butt kissing, I'm locking this down before jaap gets an over inflated ego :lol:

Don't worry... Although politically I consider myself a "left of center" type of voter, IMO there can be too much democracy. In some situations an enlightened dictatorship is just better!

I enjoy a good OT discussion once in a while (and let it run for a few days); but the only thing I ask of you all is that you stop the hidden sneers. (and the blatant personal attacks too :D )

Please keep it clean! (And lighten my workload in the process)

:mg:

On this forum you do as I bloody well please! :D:D:D

Seriously, in some situations it's just better to let one neutral person decide, rather than go through endless deliberations just to end up with a useless compromise.

The trick is to make the dictatorship look and feel like a democracy... :D