The leash is too short

In some situations an enlightened dictatorship is just better!

Take care Jaap could pull this one :D:D:D

I enjoy a good OT discussion once in a while (and let it run for a few days); but the only thing I ask of you all is that you stop the hidden sneers. (and the blatant personal attacks too )

:stupid:

On this I too will do a little ass kissing :notworthy:

Our little veneer of civilisation :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe that there's a Tenni 'sub-forum'. I mean, really!

And one about moths!

I'm puzzled about that too. An '1100 sport' sub-forum would be sensible, as it's almost a V11, but not quite. And it has the same engine. But the Tenni?

I still can't believe that there's a Tenni 'sub-forum'. I mean, really!

:D We have this Moderator who, when he first joined, hijacked every (and I mean every) thread with Tenni remarks. After I gave him his own little corner on this board he stopped!

You dont have to thank me... :D

Ok probably I am biased, but the V11 is one of the simpler bikes, and there is only so much you can say about it.

I always understood that a forum like this could have more to say. After all, we are not one dimensional people as V11 owners, we have other bikes too and other opinions and parts of our lives. Having come together due to our common interest as V11 owners, it is only natural that we might enjoy discussing other things too, be it Moths, Global Warming or whatever.

It HAS become more oversensitive over the past year - sorry but it's true. I personally rather enjoyed the GW thread and was sorry to see it closed.

If the consensus is that it should be a bike discussion pure and simple, fine. What tends to happen then is that the frequent visitors will mostly be new owners / members, simply because the older hands will have seen it all before and will know their bikes pretty well. Without the "alternative" and more social function of the forum, I think it will become a less interesting place to visit, and many will visit less frequently.

I don't know why it happens, but the very same thing happened to another bike forum I used to frequent. Skins gradually got thinner and thinner, and the number of Guardian readers and Political Correctness jockeys increased and increased until the site was just plain boring.

And there I was thinking that the very act of biking denoted a rough tough and libertarian approach to life. Come on chaps, the truth is that if you don't like a topic, don't read it or contribute to it. If you are right about it and you are in the majority, the thread will die anyway. Fact of the matter is, too many people just don't like it when they can't convince someone else of their own strongly held views. Well sorry, that's just a fact of life - wake up and smell the coffee. It seems that anyone who ends up in a position of power whether its a Government or a humble forum administrator naturally tends towards the eventual suppression of free speech. I suppose it must be for our own good, and I guess if I have nothing to hide, there must be nothing to fear............. :not:

Nog has a point, its the personal attacks that close them down, not too many other biker forums would let a thread like the GW one get that far,

I do know that the Aprilia forum as a section that isn't moderated and you must be a registered user to even see it, or at least I think it isn't moderated and if you have a weak stomach or sensitive mind don't venture in there. Maybe not a horrible idea to turn the banter section into a members only area and ease up on the leash some, but I for one am not for personal insults, well thought out insults are sometimes acceptable :grin:

If you are right about it and you are in the majority, the thread will die anyway.

No. There are always one or two eloquent members who keep a thread running for God knows how long just to yank the majority's chain.

Fact of the matter is, too many people just don't like it when they can't convince someone else of their own strongly held views. Well sorry, that's just a fact of life - wake up and smell the coffee.

True, but when they keep trying they get annoying...

It seems that anyone who ends up in a position of power whether its a Government or a humble forum administrator naturally tends towards the eventual suppression of free speech. I suppose it must be for our own good, and I guess if I have nothing to hide, there must be nothing to fear............. :not:

I could take this as a personal attack... but I'm not going to. :bbblll:

I have let a lot of crap slip in five years, but I'm just fed up with all the bitching and bickering.

There are lots of places to have a good rant on the net. Even places that have *some* sort of guzzi interest and connection like Nick's site. Thats fine. It means I can go there and phoam at the mouth happily and not upset anyone, or if I do it's permitted! :grin:

I have no problem with any of the other more tightly controlled forums. Both WG and here are quite censoriously moderated. If I don't like it I don't have to visit do I? It's scarecely rocket science!

What I find really funny is that on some boards people think I'm some kind of right wing nut-bag and on others they think I'm part of the 'Communist Menace' :grin: Perception is everything and it's always nice to be able to stick people in boxes!

Now? How can I change my blinker fluid without taking the wheels off my Scura? :huh2:

Pete

:D We have this Moderator who, when he first joined, hijacked every (and I mean every) thread with Tenni remarks. After I gave him his own little corner on this board he stopped!

You dont have to thank me... :D

and then there is the matter of an optional Tenni-green skin for the Board! Well really!

What's wrong with MATT BLACK?

and where do all the threads about German motorbikes go to? Someone must be deleting them, cos all I can find is Italian stuff. Why do I have to keep reading about Italian stuff? What about the Harley Topics? I mean, we're all Americans here, aren't we? Apart from a Swedish chap. And an odd Dane.

**Edit

Someone claims to be Dutch. Well, acknowledging your problem, is the first step in finding a solution. I think that we should support him. Let's have a Forum for people who want to be American but haven't quite made it yet. It could be called, 'Help! I'm Dutch.'

There are lots of places to have a good rant on the net. Even places that have *some* sort of guzzi interest and connection like Nick's site. Thats fine. It means I can go there and phoam at the mouth happily and not upset anyone, or if I do it's permitted! :grin:

I have no problem with any of the other more tightly controlled forums. Both WG and here are quite censoriously moderated. If I don't like it I don't have to visit do I? It's scarecely rocket science!

What I find really funny is that on some boards people think I'm some kind of right wing nut-bag and on others they think I'm part of the 'Communist Menace' :grin: Perception is everything and it's always nice to be able to stick people in boxes!

Now? How can I change my blinker fluid without taking the wheels off my Scura? :huh2:

Pete

Yes, I think 'nutbag menace' is fair.

-_-