Uneven brake pad wear

Shawn Stepper

I inspected my front brake pads today, and discovered that one pad was significantly more worn that the other three. I was under the impression that the brakes would automatically distribute the braking force evenly.Does anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks!

Shawn

I inspected my front brake pads today, and discovered that one pad was significantly more worn that the other three. I was under the impression that the brakes would automatically distribute the braking force evenly.Does anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks!

Shawn

Just be sure to clean and bleed the calipers and you should be fine. I've had big differences but I don't worry too much about it. Once I just replaced the pads in just one of the calipers because the other were so much better. But this may contribute to the effect since the pads will probably end up being of different quality.

Guest ratchethack

Thanks!

Shawn

Shawn, sometimes one pad from a set wears more than another. IMHO this can be due to inconsistencies in the pad compound, but also due to contamination. I've seen this many times, where the next set wears evenly. Best practice is always to replace both pads in a set, or you're just asking for uneven wear again due to variances in pads from lot to lot, not to mention matching a new pad with one that's already taken a "set" -- not a good idea. ^_^

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Sticky piston due to corrosion around the seal. Clean and lubricate with vaseline or the seals will get damaged... that can sometimes take a long time.... I have good results with running Dot 5, you need to flush the system. Careful on the V11 rear brake, once you get some air in you will need to bleed it several times... the nice part about Dot 5 is that it is safe in case you spill some on your paint. It cost more but even on my 70's bikes I had good results. I change it only every couple of years and no problems... good luck Hardy

Thanks!

Shawn

It is likely there is crud around the pistons keeping them from retracting fully or dirt / brake dust built up on the edges of the pad or around the pins, holding the pads against the rotor slightly after the piston retracts. In any case, thorough cleaning should solve your problem.

Edit: I'd stay away from Vaseline on brake parts, it'll run off when hot and may get places you don't want it. The seals should be clean & dry. You can use syl-glide on the face of the pistons but be sparing and keep the friction surfaces clean. Dot 5 will not mix with Dot 3 or 4 and the result is a gel mess. It is difficult to get all of the old stuff out so contamination is very possible, also, it is not hygroscopic. Naturally accumulating moisture will settle in the calipers instead of being suspended in the fluid causing future troubles. Stick with what the factory calls for.

:2c: