EICMA 2007

biesel

You've got that right. 1.47 USD per Euro as of yesterday. Brazilian supermodel Giselle Bundchen is now requesting to be paid in Euros instead of dollars and I hear the Chinese may even bail on the dollar. Heck, even the Canadian dollar is worth more: $1.08 USD per CD last I checked. That hasn't happened since 1950.

Just think, if you'd INVESTED in Euros five years ago you'd have a good return...

If I had invested 11,000 US dollars on Euros in December 2000, instead of my V11, they would be worth 11,880 Euros today (assuming they were put in a non-interest bearing account), instead of the 7,487 Euros that the same money would convert to today.

By comparison a Breva 750 is 7690 Euros ++ and a Breva 1200 is 11,950 Euros ++

At the current currency exchange, it will be a few years before I can afford a new Goose, although the importers seem to be giving us a good deal against the exchange rate.

If I had invested 11,000 US dollars on Euros in December 2000, instead of my V11, they would be worth 11,880 Euros today (assuming they were put in a non-interest bearing account),

So you'd be about $1300 richer, but no V11. Even in hindsight, I'd still take the bike. :thumbsup:

When the Euro was introduced in 2000 it was roughly equivalent to the dollar. Now it is worth approximately 47% more (1.47 USD = 1.00 Euro). Thus, 10K USD invested in Euro in 2000 would now be worth 14,700 USD.

11,880 Euros = 17,464 USD currently

Currency trading is indeed another profitable segment of the investment market. ;)

And six months later (or thereabouts) it was down to about $.90 = Euro. I remember thinking at the time "this looks like a job for ARBITRAGE MAN!" but of course, had no $ to take advantage. (sigh)

In case anyone in Euro land is thinking of buying dollars to hold against the inevitable swing back, bide a bit. The dollar is going to keep sinking until we start shipping troops home from the Middle East: this drop is caused by the govt. inflating the money supply to pay for the war, & it's why none of the f/x of doing so were felt until the first troop rotations came back home ['cause they've got nothing to spend their pay on in theatre.] When you see the U.S. start pulling out of Iraq, then start buying dollars.

Ride on!

When the Euro was introduced in 2000 it was roughly equivalent to the dollar. Now it is worth approximately 47% more (1.47 USD = 1.00 Euro). Thus, 10K USD invested in Euro in 2000 would now be worth 14,700 USD.

11,880 Euros = 17,464 USD currently

Currency trading is indeed another profitable segment of the investment market. ;)

I think you are right. The conversion tool I used must have been broken....I swear it was not my stupidity!!! accept for the part about blindly accepting the numbers... :unsure:

Whatever the conversion rate, we often have to pay up to twice the price for goods here compared to USA. Often the same price in

My 2 pence worth, having just got back from EICMA..

Stelvio is a lovely piece of work, but only if you like big trailies/adventure sports/call em what you will. Saying it is an ugly pos if you think all such bikes are that, is not really saying much in terms of it's relative qualities?

WAY better looking imho than the newly restyled GS (which is not saying much I admit!) the Tiger (not saying much either, ahem) or Multisrada (you get the picture).

According to italian single page brochure it will be out in January, and I can believe it. It looked totally production ready close up, no wooden mock-ups here, and the small accesory shop on the stand had cute little fog/driving lights already for it and handguards (and a stelvio wristwatch <_>

Only bits I didn't like was injection moulded rack (but must help on weight - see later) and the pipe (which isn't that bad). No sign of allegedly standard panniers (I suspect plastic square-ish ones) or prices. I also suspect difficult to produce the first guzz to genuinely compete with BMW since, erm, 1976, for much less money (i.e.same build quality or better, same engine technology or better, etc)?

Oh, dry weight (always a work of fiction, esp from Guzzi) is 214kg, so that stressed engine frame must be a fair bit lighter than, say, the Breva, as somehow they have cut 22kg from what they claim for a 1200 Breva?? I can't imagine the new 8v lump is any lighter? :huh2: Even if bike is ANY lighter I will be impressed, and they have benchmarked it against a 1200gs, which is impressively light against it's 1150 predecessors?

Fuel capacity is only 18 litres, so interesting to see if guzzi claims of improved efficiency over the 4v are borne out, hmmm.

I strongly suspect I shall be selling my v11 and 1150GS unless it is a total turkey on the road, which I don't predict, or the early 1200 Grisos start dropping their guts everywhere! :grin: )

V7 classic (Spring 2008 launch according to brochure) looked delicious and will be cheap, given it appears to be almost totally 750 Breva based (48 bhp on the specs), so very mild-mannered. So maybe catch some of the bonneville market, but not really a Thruxton contender? For that we'd need a Ballagio engined version :food:

A very tired Dave having missed flight home :homer: