UK Motorcycle Show, 2007 at NEC

Guzzista_Joe

Unfortunately the NEC show has rapidly degenerated over the years and is now a bit of a farce- high ticket prices, expensive refreshements, poor quality vendors of cheap kit, more no win no fee solicitors than bikes on show. Oh yes- and if you go in car you will need a mortgage to pay for the car park.

Attendences have been plummeting as many attendees swear they will never go back again and be ripped off in that way, and the organisers try and charge a fortune to any manufacturer who wishes to have a display- so unfortunately Guzzi have decided for the last 2 years that it is not commercially viable.

...I'm not surprised by that at all...I went a few times and apart from the place being rubbish, I would always go home with the feeling I'd been swindled...I only ever used to go to see the Guzzis anyway...I'll have to wait until they arrive for sale in the dealers and arrange some test rides.

...rip off Britain as usual...

I always enjoy the Cycle World shows here in the U.S.

They always have all the top apparal & accesories people there showing the new stuff & selling it for less than retail too. Of course, like in Britain, they gouge you for parking lol.

Here in So.Cal. they've given free parking to motorcycles ever since they moved it away from Anaheim [who charged the same parking rate for bikes as cars, & then wouldn't let you park in a car stall: corners & painted "islands" only, please!] to Long Beach. I forget who, CMA? hosts a free "gear check" too, so you can walk in, buy your ticket & park your ride gear whilst inside. Really makes up for the ticket price [which as far as I'm concerned, should be absorbed by combination of manufacturers & vendors inside the show trying to sell you something, and the city & business outside the show selling you gas, food, etc. after you get out... ;) ]

Great, great venue, too bad downtown LBC has gotten so built up; it's become quite a zoo down there now. Que sera sera...

:mg:

Here in So.Cal. they've given free parking to motorcycles ever since they moved it away from Anaheim [who charged the same parking rate for bikes as cars, & then wouldn't let you park in a car stall: corners & painted "islands" only, please!] to Long Beach. I forget who, CMA? hosts a free "gear check" too, so you can walk in, buy your ticket & park your ride gear whilst inside. Really makes up for the ticket price [which as far as I'm concerned, should be absorbed by combination of manufacturers & vendors inside the show trying to sell you something, and the city & business outside the show selling you gas, food, etc. after you get out... ;) ]

Great, great venue, too bad downtown LBC has gotten so built up; it's become quite a zoo down there now. Que sera sera...

:mg:

Unfortunately the show is always held in Cleveland on the last weekend in January. I'm not sure if motorcycle parking is free or not lol because its usually way too cold to ride there to see the show. I'd rather drive anyway because in case I see a few things I like I can just put it in the car & go home. That & I really dont want to leave my bike unattended in that huge parking lot. :ninja::vomit:

Unfortunately the show is always held in Cleveland on the last weekend in January.

Yeah, not sure that makes the most sense. I guess they want all the snow-bound riders to get a glimpse at the new models so they'll be fair drooling by the time the spring thaw rolls around... ;)

With flights being so cheap, much better to burn a carbon arseprint to Milan for the Eicma on a budget airline, maybe stay at Mandello for a couple of days, and get the train down to EICMA to see a proepr show with real bikes and nice laydees.

Won't cost much more than the NEC and the food will be better I am sure!

Guy :helmet:

'sfunny that, I was just saying the same thing a few moments ago to a pal of mine...I may well do that next year, but if I went I couldn't fly, I'd have to ride down there via Stelvio pass and Madello...you're right about the food...although I've many a good Ruby Murray in Brum in my time...but then with the prospect of having to do the ride all over again!

I just did exactly that for the same reasons, NEC show last year was a joke, especially if you wanted to see something not viewable at your local Japanese bike dealer :bbblll:

I flew into Bergamo (temptingly close to Mandello) and bus trip is one hour (they are very geared up for this) into Milan and about 4 quid each way.

Short trip on tube (helps if lady at tourist info doesn't give you wrong station to get off at!) aqnd cheaper to get into than NEC for a show that's, ooh, at least twice as big, possibly three times??

The range of stunning new models on display :wub: is mind boggling, and some of the bikes were nice too! :whistle:

Food disappointing though, only a notch above NEC :vomit: Which probably explains why enjoying a pizza near Milan Cathedral afterwards meant we missed our flight, oops..

Overall recommended, but factor in carparking at airport , milan tube fares etc etc, and prob twice price (but more than twice as good!)

Dave

Last years was dire with none of Piagios and no shopping list or rather no money :(

This year seems to promise more of the same

Though I'll be going. I've got to get some Aprillia tat for Ben and it's a day out on the bike, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Hope the warmish spell lasts.