Another Option for Bar Risers?

OregonAl

1. Rob Atkinson (for '04 Sport Naked)

More

I seen these up close and personal and I really don't think they ruin anything. These clamps look very nice and high quality and the whole setup is very tiddy. :2c:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to seeing your report.

How about mine? I just finished installing one side and IMO these are not sturdy enough for use with clipons. The riser between the stub and the bar cradle is only 3\8" thick. I could flex it easily by pushing down on the bar end. I'd be very afraid of it fatigueing and breaking over time. Maybe it wouldn't but I'm not willing to bet my life on it. If they were sturdier I'd definitely use them.

Other than that the parts are very well made. If anyone is interested in buying these for a bike with conventional handlebars I'd be willing to sell them for a lot less that what I paid. I'm sure they'd work great. PM me if interested.

Here's a couple pictures for anyone who's interested;

Picture025.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Here's the Twisted Throttle picture the ones that I have;

8464-350x350.jpg

Your master cylinders must be different than mine. I can't get the right clip-on to slide in fully without relieving a bit of the metal on the riser. Plus there is a groove in the stock clip-on which will have to be cut into the mounting post on the riser in order for both pinch bolts to go in. On top of that, the diameter is about 0.015" bigger than the stock clip-on. It doesn't sound like much , but I had to drive something in to spread the stock riser to get the stud to go in.

Nerts! :angry:

IMG_4674.jpg

Your master cylinders must be different than mine. I can't get the right clip-on to slide in fully without relieving a bit of the metal on the riser. Plus there is a groove in the stock clip-on which will have to be cut into the mounting post on the riser in order for both pinch bolts to go in. On top of that, the diameter is about 0.015" bigger than the stock clip-on. It doesn't sound like much , but I had to drive something in to spread the stock riser to get the stud to go in.

Nerts! :angry:

I do have a radial MC for the front brake, that's why I didn't have the clearance issue on that side. I had to pry the bar clamp open quite a bit too. I didn't expect the .010 or so (1/4mm) diameter difference to be an issue but it was very tight.

Time for plan B...

For those with forks that extend above the top yoke, why couldn't you use the early ('99-'01) risers which are about 65mm? I'll bet there are some floating around.

Wow. What a surprise. Looks like a lot of owners wanted valid high quality options for bar risers and when one is presented there are no takers. :unsure::homer::huh2: Some bring up some BS discussion about re-using clip-ons from diffrent models or looking into unobtainable part but not at the available stuff. I am buffled but I guess its a Guzzi way. :homer:

I am buffled but I guess its a Guzzi way. :homer:

Yep, it is the Guzzi way.

Lots of doityourself and budget attitudes here.

Most forum members have probably already found a handlebar solution.

But I am a little surprised you have not found ten customers, yet.

Maybe you should start a fresh thread for the group buy???

My solution was to give up and put the clip-ons back where they were. I put the Twisted Throttle parts (actually made by ROXspeed) on my dirtbike.

I think the ConveriBAR is the best option going even for the price.

The suggestion that late model owners could use the early clip-on risers wasn't BS; a lot of folks don't realize the early clip-ons were mounted from below the triple clamp. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it or trying it. I don't know what the pieces would cost new, but that would probably make the converiBAR look like a bargain.

Good luck with the group buy. Those events are a lot of work and I respect those of you who have taken that sort of thing on.