Tyres

Guest Nogbad

I've seen a lot of things in the biking press about tyres "going off" with age, losing plasticiser etc. The EU may be about to introduce "use by" dates on tyres after which they would be illegal, even if the tread was within legal depth and the sidewalls and appearance unperished.

What do you think? Personally, I have ridden on old tyres and have found some to be crap and some to be ok. How long can you keep a pair for? Is it fair of the authorities to consider limiting the time life of a bike tyre, or is it a ploy by the tyre industry?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very much an "it depends" question. Keep a tyre in an inert, temperature and moisture controlled atmosphere, in the dark, and you get a much higher life expectancy - depending on the actual tyre, as they are all subtly different. There's no way to put an actual number on it without extensive testing, though.

I have expected this sort of legislation for quite some time. The legislators will probably take a "worst case" scenario to be on the "safe" side.

Yeah, looking back on some tires I've ridden on.... apparently "quite a long time" :huh:

On my old Seca, I rode it for a year on the tires I bought on it, which had some stress cracks from age. Probably a bad idea, but I didn't really know better.

And I rode a set on my FJ1200 for waaaaay too long, hitting cords at one point on the rear. Also dumb <_>

But they never failed :huh2:

Al

I've seen a lot of things in the biking press about tyres "going off" with age, losing plasticiser etc. The EU may be about to introduce "use by" dates on tyres after which they would be illegal, even if the tread was within legal depth and the sidewalls and appearance unperished.

What do you think? Personally, I have ridden on old tyres and have found some to be crap and some to be ok. How long can you keep a pair for? Is it fair of the authorities to consider limiting the time life of a bike tyre, or is it a ploy by the tyre industry?

Too many variables. I replace tires on my modern bikes before they are due, not the same on the old bikes. Of course I don't ride the old bikes in the same manner as the modern ones. I'm sure the tires on my Commando are well past their prime yet still look new. I hate when governments (read insurance company lobbyists) attempt to save us from ourselves.

I think you should police your own tires, wear safety gear or not, decide for yourself if sticking your hand into the lawn mower or snow blower is a good idea, and let natural selection take it's course.

...I hate when governments (read insurance company lobbyists) attempt to save us from ourselves.

I think you should police your own tires, wear safety gear or not, decide for yourself if sticking your hand into the lawn mower or snow blower is a good idea, and let natural selection take it's course.

Dan, It is not too late to throw your hat in the ring for a Presidential run. I will vote for you on that platform alone. :D

Of course?

My Commando is 100% stock including suspension, brakes & tires. I am not capable of riding it at the same velocities as my V11. Perhaps Mike Hailwood, but not me.

Is this not something to do with the oil companies lobby, and rubber or synthetic does perish

Seems to me that if it has to do with safety, it is the insurance companies trying to manage their risk exposure, hence the lobbying for new laws. Helmet laws, seat-belt laws, all insurance company driven. I'm not saying safety is a bad thing, nor do I want to start a whole political discussion about what drives these things. Do those in the US remember the government mandated 5 mph bumpers on cars of the '70s & 80s? The idea behind it was cars cost too much to repair after just a minor bump. Why would the government care? Of course the insurance companies paying for these repairs on the other hand... I just don't think the typical government really cares if we hurt ourselves. Insurance companies have a financial interest. (tire companies do too in this case but I don't think they are behind this sort of thing)

JMHO.

Guest ratchethack
This is a very much an "it depends" question. Keep a tyre in an inert, temperature and moisture controlled atmosphere, in the dark, and you get a much higher life expectancy - depending on the actual tyre, as they are all subtly different. There's no way to put an actual number on it without extensive testing, though.

I have expected this sort of legislation for quite some time. The legislators will probably take a "worst case" scenario to be on the "safe" side.

I agree in full. Tires vary widely from mfgr. to mfgr., from model to model from the same mfgr., and even within the same model by latest revision in nearly infinite qualitative ways with regard to how the compound(s) may be expected to age. I'm often struck by comments made by many who seem to think that "rubber" is a monolithic substance as standard as a pure element. This is the equivalent of expecting all "metal" to exhibit consistent properties! :huh2:

How much a rider depends on his tires is of course a function of how the bike is ridden, on what kinds of roads and surfaces, loads, weather, suspension set-up, braking habits, etc. The possible permutations are endless. Simply keeping tires consistently at proper pressures can make a huge difference to the way a tire ages. Though I'm merely a Road Geez, I tend to work my tires all the way to the limit of available tread at the edges and push them pretty hard in fairly demanding terrain. I don't consciously take any chances with the quality and condition of my tires, always start with the very best money can buy, keep 'em within a few lbs. of ideal pressure, and generally treat them with great respect by inspecting them on a regular basis. Tires and brakes have always been #'s 1 and 2 priorities in my book, and tires are way out in front of brakes as far as need for regular close attention, but that's just me. ^_^

To varying degrees, depending on the specific tire, by the time my tires have begun to square-off, much of the original grip and handling has become compromised by a wide variety of factors, including degradation of the compound(s) via uV, and most importantly, the entire nature of the cumulative heat cycles to which they've been subjected. Superficial surface cracking, "chalking", or discoloration may or may not have a great deal to do with how much original performance is left in the tire underneath, but the way I figure it, again depending on operating parameters too numerous to cite, it ain't a good sign, and when at all in question, vigilance is always critical, and a new set of tires is always the best choice. No way around it -- squeezing the last thou mi. out of 'em is always a qualitatively measured risk on a progressive scale as the tread approaches the wear limit.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

I witnessed TÜV (MOT) engineer ordering 10 year old car tires to be replaced before passing the car in question. I heard somewhere that the limit for motorcycle tires is 5 years, worn or not. Cannot confirm though. :huh2:

I think 5 years is a good round number, but that obviously depends on how the bike was stored, ridden, temps, humidity, direct sunlight, etc.

Tires are the thing keeping you from direct bodily contact with the ground. I'd go with caution being the better part of valor.

dk

well on a side note to thise discussion which tires would be best for some colder weather riding? The Guzzi rides so well in the colder weather I think I'll use it more on the colder days and commuting and the Aprillia for the hot fast weekend rides. I really don't want to fall down again, anyone know of some good sub 50F degree tires. :huh: