Not V11 but...

pasotibbs

Due to an accident on his MK 2 Lemans my pal is wanting to replace the silencers or maybe the complete system (as at least one header is bent), so what exhausts /options can you recommend to him.

Thanks

Dave

Andy_G.JPG

Pre accident Pic :D

Due to an accident on his MK 2 Lemans my pal is wanting to replace the silencers or maybe the complete system (as at least one header is bent), so what exhausts /options can you recommend to him.

Thanks

Dave

Andy_G.JPG

Pre accident Pic :D

Headers are cheap and readily available. I wouldn't recommend going for stainless ones as a.) They tend to discolour and b.) unless the correct grade is used they will crack. The 'H' piece and mufflers will be fine in stainless, (My Mk II has Mistrals but I've also got a pair of the very rare early Staintune Conti Reps I can put on if I want to be a hooligan). Original pipes haven't been available since God was a boy. Try fleabay if he wants originals but don't expect them to be in good condition.

If he just wants a pair of pipes I've got some home made stainless ones in the shed he can have for postage and a case of beer.

pete

I've used various but currently Lafranconi comp stainless copies (Keihan I think). They work well, have better ground clearance than stock. I use Keihan stainless headers -seperate w/o balance pipe (I think the cracking Pete refers to is where one piece headers commonly crack at joints of balance pipe to down pipes - (I've run w/o front balance pipe for yrs & don't find a problem - I also believe front balance pipe can fry alternators) - sure they discolour a bit, but clean up well & last pretty much forever (unlike originals). I wouldn't recommend running a system w/o rear balance pipe. Like all Keihan stuff I've had, quality & fit is excellent & I would recommend their systems. They also do stock pattern silencers, which they will make as straight thru absorbtion type if you wish.

depends what you're after - looks, performance, clearance, originality? system I liked most was Crossbow PR type which lasted for ages but eventually rotted out - you can't get them now (unless someone knows different?).

other alternatives might be hunting for a 2nd hand Dr john system, or Motomecca do a stainless system with sort of cigar shape silencers.

KB :sun:

I've used various but currently Lafranconi comp stainless copies (Keihan I think). They work well, have better ground clearance than stock. I use Keihan stainless headers -seperate w/o balance pipe (I think the cracking Pete refers to is where one piece headers commonly crack at joints of balance pipe to down pipes - (I've run w/o front balance pipe for yrs & don't find a problem - I also believe front balance pipe can fry alternators) - sure they discolour a bit, but clean up well & last pretty much forever (unlike originals). I wouldn't recommend running a system w/o rear balance pipe. Like all Keihan stuff I've had, quality & fit is excellent & I would recommend their systems. They also do stock pattern silencers, which they will make as straight thru absorbtion type if you wish.

depends what you're after - looks, performance, clearance, originality? system I liked most was Crossbow PR type which lasted for ages but eventually rotted out - you can't get them now (unless someone knows different?).

other alternatives might be hunting for a 2nd hand Dr john system, or Motomecca do a stainless system with sort of cigar shape silencers.

KB :sun:

Thanks to everyone, I've e-mailed him a link to this thread.

:bier:

I own a LM2 for 25 years and tried a lot with it.

The stock cans cost power and torque low down. The engine comes into its own between 4 and 5000 rpm which is not a desirable character.

The Lafranconi competiziones perform much better with good grunt low down. The sound is the best you can have on any Guzzi! Forget fully open V11s or Ducs. But it is really loud, not everybody likes that. I used up 3 pairs until the rust holes were too big to weld.

Now I mounted the complete LM3 System headers/crossover/cans and I'm very happy with it. A fine Guzzi sound but not too noisy. Power is not limited until the engine goes over 90 HP. And they do not rust!

If these are too smooth, Lafranconi sells competiziones for the LM3 too.

I've bought some Mistrals for my cafe racer- reasonably priced, the upswept shape looks good and they sound rorty without being too anti-social around town.

If you want some get in there quick as I understand that Mistral are now concentrating on building pipes for the newer models so the older stuff is getting scarce.

Both Motomecca and Corsas sell 'em, or you can get them from Agostinis- about £300 a pair.

ex_mist_lm1_copy.jpg