Oil level - Upright or sidestand?

Molly

Replaced the oil pressure sensor only to return from a lap of the TT circuit and find oil all over the left side of the bike. Arse.

I simply need to know if I check the level upright or on the sidestand. It's just not mentioned in the b***dy factory manual. And, I understand it's to be filled a little over the max, is that right?

Still, was a lovely ride at 7am with a nice sunrise and the whole Island to myself.

Thanks for your help. Search facility just wasn't getting me a simple answer to a simple question.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upright and keep the oil between min and max, stick screwed down. That is what works for me since the early 80ies, living on the continent where Guzzi comes from, of course.

Hubert

Thanks. That 'on the threads' or 'screwed in' was my next question.

From here I can hear that everybody's got their toys out (just down from Ramsey Hairpin). Will have to go and join them :-)

Thanks again.

On a V11, IMO, you will get a higher (safer) oil level if you check the oil with the bike upright but with the dipstick threaded on just one thread (and the only reason to thread it on even one thread is just to ensure that the dipstick is not canted). Fill it to the full mark. This will help you avoid exposing the oil pickup under hard acceleration.

Thanks for that. I'll go on the side of caution then.

Never managed that 100mph lap (doubt I ever could). Couldn't have enjoyed the ride more though. Really like this bike

:-)

Thanks for that. I'll go on the side of caution then.

Never managed that 100mph lap (doubt I ever could). Couldn't have enjoyed the ride more though. Really like this bike

:-)

If you are planning on doing a lot of track days and/or hard launches I strongly recommend one of my plates if you want to avoid bearing damage.

Pete

If you are planning on doing a lot of track days and/or hard launches I strongly recommend one of my plates if you want to avoid bearing damage.

Pete

Hi Pete.

What's the plate do? Is it to stop oil sloshing away from the pickup point?

Brian.

Hi Pete.

Brian.

Correct. If you do a search on 'Sloppage Sheets' there should be a dozen links. Buggered big-end bearings are the bane of the 'Broad Sump' motors and for some reasn the V11's more than anything else. Most people first notice the problem when their oil light flickers on hard starts.

Pete

Hi Pete.

Brian.

First of all his plate makes money change owners.

I think it's more an esoteric item, like dream catchers or earth radiation transformers. Those who buy such stuff normaly are happy people, in some way at least, those who don't are happy as well.

Hubert

Guest ratchethack
First of all his plate makes money change owners.

I think it's more an esoteric item, like dream catchers or earth radiation transformers. Those who buy such stuff normaly are happy people, in some way at least, those who don't are happy as well.

Hubert

Hubert?? I'm compelled to call foul. :angry:

What you've claimed is contrary to the experience of not only myself, but the credible testimony of many many others, as I'm sure you know, if you've been following the great sloppage plate, windage plate, aka Roper plate saga for the last few years here!! :whistle:

Having installed one myself, and having helped install one on a Pal's '04 LM, over a year and a half ago, I can personally attest to tangible, demonstrable, real-world value, just TWO of literally dozens of other examples on this board who have reported the same: There's no doubt about it, Hubert, and it's backed by the respected opinions of the Pro's who frequent this board (2 in this thread above), and by credible reports of evidence taken from oil pressure gauge readings. Hard launches that formerly exposed the oil pickup, (as evidenced by the oil pressure light coming on) HAVE NOT presented low oil pressure readings that occurred prior to installation of the plate.

IMHO it's one of the lowest cost, highest value, most reasonable and logical mod's that can be made to a V11 motor, and a near-mandatory item for those who enjoy "spirited riding" who plan on keeping their Guzzi's for the long haul. The long-term road tests of literally dozens of installations are in, as have been presented here. This is certainly NOT simply wishful thinking! It's 100% conclusive.

If you think it's a gimmick, how much money d'you figure Pete makes on each plate relative to the time he's put into it?! D'you figure he's doing this to gouge people?! I'm aghast. :glare:

If one were so inclined, don't you think there'd be far more profitable ways to gouge people than THIS?!?! :homer:

You obviously have no experience to back your position. Why you'd make this claim is beyond me. :huh2:

Well said hack. There, and I've said it in public no less! :lol:

Pete's in the running for Sainthood. Oh, wait, they have one of those already.

Maybe St. Peter-Of-The-Goose?

Actually I pride myself on being a complete charlatan and wasting my life producing sollutions for problems that don't exist. I chose to do this with Guzzis because there is such a huge, thriving market out there that my ability to retire to a private island with a bevy of Brazillian swimsuit models on the obscene proffits I make is guaranteed within weeks!

Coming soon to compliment the plates will be my bat-winged orgone accumulator, a thrunge grommet stabilizer and a new tank-pad elliminator that looks exactly like a tank pad! All of these under designed and poorly researched products will be available for obscene amounts of money and I'll try really, really hard not to deliver them :P:lol: .

Pete

Actually I pride myself on being a complete charlatan and wasting my life producing sollutions for problems that don't exist. I chose to do this with Guzzis because there is such a huge, thriving market out there that my ability to retire to a private island with a bevy of Brazillian swimsuit models on the obscene proffits I make is guaranteed within weeks!

Coming soon to compliment the plates will be my bat-winged orgone accumulator, a thrunge grommet stabilizer and a new tank-pad elliminator that looks exactly like a tank pad! All of these under designed and poorly researched products will be available for obscene amounts of money and I'll try really, really hard not to deliver them :P:lol: .

Pete

Dang, I have the plate, and I guess it works (oil light only on when I turn the key on :D ).

Now I have to buy all the new Roper-bling... Actually I need a thrunge grommet stabilizer badly...

When will it stop :lol:

/Steffen