Tires

scottybee

I don't want to open a big can of worms here, but i need tires and just want to see if anyone has used one of these tires and how you liked them. Performance , Longevity, problems with balancing or cupping any thing like that.

I'm almost 50 years old and 50 pounds overweight. So nobody has confused me with Valentino Rossi lately. But once in a while I get in the zone and lean over pretty good. So I want some grip but also some miles. Here are some I've been looking at.

Hard not to like michelin's.

I've run Avon venom's on my Valkyrie for years and haven't had any problems with them.

Dunlop D616 These look like they would be good in rain.

They're Italian.

Metzler I've never had metzlers.

Bridgestones

Well I hope this doesn't start a big debate like asking about oil filters or something. But I would appreciate all opinions.

Hey Scott

Just do a tire search here and be prepared for some reading. :o

I currently have the Diablo Stradas on my LeMans and love them. Quick warm up, confidence inspiring and great in the rain.

My buddy has those Michelins on his Ducati, great grip but the rear has squared off in about 3500 miles. Many here like the Metzler Z6 too.

I'm sure more here will chime in with opinions.

May I add a tire question....not to hijack.....

Would it work or be weird to pair a new rear diablo with a nearly new front battleax?

Hi Nanc, not wierd, but not optimum. I always change tires in pairs and use the same model front & rear. They are designed to work together so best performance will come from matched pairs. That said, there should be no danger in mixing two radials. I would be concerned as to how old that front tire is. They do harden over time. When I bought my V11 it was three years old with only 900 miles on the clock. The Bridgestones looked brand new but the traction was terrible. A new set of Diablo Stradas made all the difference.

Hi Nanc, not wierd, but not optimum. I always change tires in pairs and use the same model front & rear. They are designed to work together so best performance will come from matched pairs. That said, there should be no danger in mixing two radials. I would be concerned as to how old that front tire is. They do harden over time. When I bought my V11 it was three years old with only 900 miles on the clock. The Bridgestones looked brand new but the traction was terrible. A new set of Diablo Stradas made all the difference.

Hey Dan,

Good points....

I normally always keep the tires the same.

I'm just trying to save a buck as I need to replace the rear now and the front is practically new....I know the PO rode the bike, however, the bike has been in "winter storage". I will find out how recently he mounted that front tire.

More than likely I will just spring a new set.... -_-

Many people will replace the rear tyre and run an old front with a new rear. Me, I won't due that 'cause if one tyre's gonna be better then the other I want the front to have the grip.

I would rather buy a set of affordable tyres then run a new rear with a old(and probably mismatched) front.

As far as choices, I have Z6' on my Griso. Great tyres grip wise, but noisy. My wifes V11 has Pirelli's, Diablo Stradas I believe. Nice tyres but dont seem to last as long as the Metzlers. I am a big fan of Michelin but they can be pricey. Also had good experience with Maxxis, great tyre for the price.Easily my fav budget tyre.

Many people will replace the rear tyre and run an old front with a new rear. Me, I won't due that 'cause if one tyre's gonna be better then the other I want the front to have the grip.

I would rather buy a set of affordable tyres then run a new rear with a old

Greg said he has run a combo of Diablo Strada and Michelin Pilot Road, IIRC. Front will have better grip but shorter life, so both tires will be changed at the same time, which is better than "two rears for one front".

Why put Metzeler Z6 or Pirelli Diablo Strada on a sporty bike like the V11LeMans? OK, I agree that they last longer and are also very good on rain, but Metzeler M3 Sportec are softer, safer and give you more angle to bent. A sport touring pair of tires for a sport touring bike. Personally I find them excellent also on wet roads. And if you are thinking of track days....these are excellent too. A great balance between sporty mood, safety (wet roads) and longevity.

..if one tyre's gonna be better then the other I want the front to have the grip...

I'm with Guzzimoto. BT020 isn't as sticky as a Diablo even new, let alone several yrs old? BT020 front cups badly & can feel quite unstable when worn. I also found grip unreliable. Diablos are good tyres & work well on V11.

I'm surprised more people don't recommend Contis. I used Sport Attacks - nice fluid handling, good grip & cheap! Road Attack is less sporty version.

Also used Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's - great grip & great feedback, sharp handling - consistent performance/handling til well worn, but they do wear v quick.

You'd be hard pushed these days to get a bad tyre from the major manufacturers - most do range from touring to supersports. Supersports tyres have best grip & feel but wear quickest. It's all trade offs.

KB :sun:

Why put Metzeler Z6 or Pirelli Diablo Strada on a sporty bike like the V11LeMans? OK, I agree that they last longer and are also very good on rain, but Metzeler M3 Sportec are softer, safer and give you more angle to bent. A sport touring pair of tires for a sport touring bike. Personally I find them excellent also on wet roads. And if you are thinking of track days....these are excellent too. A great balance between sporty mood, safety (wet roads) and longevity.

To each their own, but my wife and I ride plenty hard. Even the occasional parking lot race or other sporting event. But the Z6's on mine and the Strada's on my wifes have never flinched. If you race or do trackdays they aren't for you. But if you don't do either of those things then sportier tyres are overkill.

And while a V11 is a sporty bike, it is by no means a sportsbike. I would call it a GT bike, and sport touring tyres do nicely on a GT bike for me.

Conti's are not bad tyres but I do prefer Maxxis myself. They seem to last longer with the same grip.

Safer?? How do you get that?

I have Diablo Strada's on my V-11 and chase my son and his 'busa around the mountains all day long. Great stick with nice progressive indication of traction threshold. Clean recovery from slippage with no risk of hi-side. Excellent wet road performance. Decent wear characteristics. Great tires for a heavy sport bike!

I'm with Guzzimoto. BT020 isn't as sticky as a Diablo even new, let alone several yrs old? BT020 front cups badly & can feel quite unstable when worn. I also found grip unreliable. Diablos are good tyres & work well on V11.

I'm surprised more people don't recommend Contis. I used Sport Attacks - nice fluid handling, good grip & cheap! Road Attack is less sporty version.

Also used Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's - great grip & great feedback, sharp handling - consistent performance/handling til well worn, but they do wear v quick.

You'd be hard pushed these days to get a bad tyre from the major manufacturers - most do range from touring to supersports. Supersports tyres have best grip & feel but wear quickest. It's all trade offs.

You have got that right Keith.

Only, the Pilot 2CT is too new to have a trustful recension. And extremely expensive!!!

The Attack are absolutely a couple of good tyres. Jaap does use this tyres and he never complain.

BTW, there is a new Diablo on the market, the Diablo Rosso. I believe to have post the link of this tyre. I wonder which opinion does have the Guzzista of this forum about it…

...The Attack are absolutely a couple of good tyres. ....

I'm surprised more people don't try them. The give really nice handling very slow but very neutral. If you like to ride smooth, rolling on & off the throttle & dipping through the curves rather than heavy on throttle/brakes & banging it on it's side, they are lovely. And they are relatively cheap. They don't give the feedback of the 2CT's or ultimately the grip, & handling doesn't stay as consistent as they wear.

I've never had a bad Pirelli (except once an old stock Phantom that had been dug out of a warehouse somewhere when they hadn't been available for years...), or a Michelin that doesn't grip (& talk to me).

Re safety: Any decent tyre mostly does the job, but if you're pushing your luck? On the limit (fun or crisis) a grippier tyre will hold on longer. But if you know the tyres'll stick do you more often push your luck? Much of the fun is at the limit, so do you ride faster/harder to find it - increasing the risk of meeting some unexpected hazard at a speed you're less able to deal with it? It's like 4WD Turbo Imprezas, to push the abilities of those things, you have to be travelling way faster than is safe on the road, but in an emegency they steer & pull up great. So are they safer? I had a R80GS with a very weak front brake, so I tried to ride it slower - but if I had to stop quickly? Safety? How do you define safety?

Safer?? How do you get that?

I have Diablo Strada's on my V-11 and chase my son and his 'busa around the mountains all day long. Great stick with nice progressive indication of traction threshold. Clean recovery from slippage with no risk of hi-side. Excellent wet road performance. Decent wear characteristics. Great tires for a heavy sport bike!

Don't softer tires (like M3) give you (generally speaking) greater stick in comparison to the less soft ones (like the Z6 or Diablo Strada)? The more harder the "rubber" the less the "accretion", am I not right?