No sport bike in Guzzi range marketing director says

1100sport

The Corsas sold for something like $28k in North America.

That's a lot of money for a trackday toy or livingroom kinetic sculpture.

I'd say that puts the bike squarely in the niche of millionaires and museum keepers, wouldn't you?

And worth every dollar

Yes it is but its worth it

No I drive a crappy old car for reason i have my priorities straight! well thats what I keep telling me.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drknow
Interestingly, we heards some rumors of a water-cooled Guzzi sportbike with chain drive seen at the factory last week . . .

Was this the old water-cooled transverse vee exercise from a decade ago, or actually something new? And was it a lie or a damn lie?

dk

Interestingly, we heards some rumors of a water-cooled Guzzi sportbike with chain drive seen at the factory last week . . .

Wonder if it was powered by the old RSV Mille engine?

There was a bit of a rumor last year that since Aprilia was going to be focusing its efforts on the 4-cylinder GP bike, Guzzi might be given some version of the RSV Mille engine for a sporty bike...

Hmmm... I'd like to know more about the bike seen last week!!!

:race:

Doc: You prob'ly know the guy who told me. It was described as a transverse-V engine, so not Mille based.

In my opinion, it'd be retarded to use a transverse-V and make it water-cooled. That means it's prob'ly foremost in pigaggio's mind . . .

Doc: You prob'ly know the guy who told me. It was described as a transverse-V engine, so not Mille based.

In my opinion, it'd be retarded to use a transverse-V and make it water-cooled. That means it's prob'ly foremost in pigaggio's mind . . .

Guest drknow

Bahahahahahahahaaaaaa! So true. I always wondered about an air/oil/water cooled monstrosity combining the ideas from the old slingshot gixxers and the big-bore watercooled motor that the Guareschis are racing. Maybe you could have enough air cooling left to provide a reason to still have those jugs out there. Obviously, if you're building a superbike platform, the transverse vee engine architecture sucks (wind resistance due to higher frontal area, power loss due to converting the rotational energy of the motor 90 degrees, etc), so the question is a interesting one. On the other hand, if they're building a sportier motor that can't handle the heat generated via air-cooling, I'm interested, just cause the one thing you would get with a watercooled transverse V is the guzzi character and shaft arrangement we all love.

dk

What's wrong with a water cooled transverse v engine? Has the same major benefit or any other transverse v(two or four cylinders), lack of crank gyro effect so the bike steers light.

To me having a crank run that way is the most basic part of what makes a Guzzi a Guzzi.

I would like to see a V4, but that's not likely. So the next best thing would be a water cooled 4 valve per cylinder version of the current motor. We finally got the 4 valve head, now we just need the water colling. It's pretty much gotta happen sooner or later due to increasingly tighter regs.

Was this the old water-cooled transverse vee exercise from a decade ago, or actually something new? And was it a lie or a damn lie?

dk

Must we go over this yet again? "Transverse" & "in-line" refer to the orientation of the crankshaft w/ respect to the vehicle's axis. :nerd:

The last transverse v-twin Guzzi that I'm aware of was the 500cc Bicilindrica.

My SuziQ SV650 is a transverse v-twin, as are Ducatis, Harleys, et al.

I know of an in-line 4v water-cooled v2 exercise from around y2k; is that what you're referring to?

Guest drknow
What's wrong with a water cooled transverse v engine? Has the same major benefit or any other transverse v(two or four cylinders), lack of crank gyro effect so the bike steers light.

To me having a crank run that way is the most basic part of what makes a Guzzi a Guzzi.

I would like to see a V4, but that's not likely. So the next best thing would be a water cooled 4 valve per cylinder version of the current motor. We finally got the 4 valve head, now we just need the water colling. It's pretty much gotta happen sooner or later due to increasingly tighter regs.

Gyro effect reduced, but torque effect is a problem, especially at the higher revs a more modern motor is likely to turn (stock 1098 rev limit is 10,700rpm, racing R versions are 13,000+!!). The only solution is to counter rotate the crank, ala the MotoCzysz bike, but that's not really been done yet. Hey, I'm a Guzzi nut, just being honest. For a superbike platform--not ideal. For a roadbike--many advantages. I love the arrangement, but when you move to a truly modern motor architecture, ie water cooled, shorter stroke, dual overhead cames, chain drive, etc, etc, then the transverse V begins to lose its advantages.

All that said, if they came out with one, I'd want it, no question.

dk

Must we go over this yet again? "Transverse" & "in-line" refer to the orientation of the crankshaft w/ respect to the vehicle's axis. :nerd:

I know of an in-line 4v water-cooled v2 exercise from around y2k; is that what you're referring to?

Technically that is correct if refering to the engine layout. Two minor details though. I believe the reference was to the V's layout, not the engines layout. The V is indeed transverse on a Guzzi. Second, if that was the only correct way to refer to engines, then you better get busy 'cause there's a lot of transverse four cylinder engines out there going by the name of "inline fours".

Good luck on that one.

Gyro effect reduced, but torque effect is a problem, especially at the higher revs a more modern motor is likely to turn (stock 1098 rev limit is 10,700rpm, racing R versions are 13,000+!!). The only solution is to counter rotate the crank, ala the MotoCzysz bike, but that's not really been done yet. Hey, I'm a Guzzi nut, just being honest. For a superbike platform--not ideal. For a roadbike--many advantages. I love the arrangement, but when you move to a truly modern motor architecture, ie water cooled, shorter stroke, dual overhead cames, chain drive, etc, etc, then the transverse V begins to lose its advantages.

All that said, if they came out with one, I'd want it, no question.

dk

I'm not going MotoGP or even SuperBike racing anytime soon so the torque reaction is not much of an issue. In fact it is one of the charms of the bike to me.

A bigger issue to me that I wish Guzzi would address is drive train length. That was something else that MotoCzysz dealt with(and Guzzi could do the same). Build a watercooled 100+ hp, transverse V(sorry Skeeve) 4 valve per cylinder engine, 56" or less wheelbase, six speed, streetfighter Guzzi and I will buy atleast one(maybe two).

Guest drknow

Fair enough, but I hear the nomenclature referring to transverse and inline more regarding cylinders than cranks, sorry. An inline crank V-twin is less descriptive than saying transverse V in my book. So, if you're referring to that water-cooled transverse V from y2k, then that was the last one I knew of. :D

Sounds as if they're dusting off the idea again, who knows if it's all new or not...

dk