No sport bike in Guzzi range marketing director says

1100sport

I think MG shouldn´t have made a Breva 1200 and call it Sport.

The Monza study was good idea (we already had this thread):

(old thread)

1200ttrkb6.png

post-180-1190364066.jpg

post-180-1190364104.jpg

I also liked this sketch:

sport1200.jpg

BUT WHY ARE THE NOT PUTTING THE BEAUTIFUL NEW ENGINE (with new ECU mapping) IN THE MGS-01 CHASSIS?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT WHY ARE THE NOT PUTTING THE BEAUTIFUL NEW ENGINE (with new ECU mapping) IN THE MGS-01 CHASSIS?

Because they don't want to compete with themselves as in Aprilia, which is funny because I don't think they would have to worry about that more so the former V11 crowd would buy them and possibly some new people out there, I know I would have gone MGS-01 with the new guts street bike over the RSVR as its even more my cup of tea, love the Aprilia and now that I have it love it even more but ya know before I got it I wanted a MGS-01 more than any other bike but can't afford aprox 35k US to get one, wish I could.

Because they don't want to compete with themselves as in Aprilia, which is funny because I don't think they would have to worry about that more so the former V11 crowd would buy them and possibly some new people out there, I know I would have gone MGS-01 with the new guts street bike over the RSVR as its even more my cup of tea, love the Aprilia and now that I have it love it even more but ya know before I got it I wanted a MGS-01 more than any other bike but can't afford aprox 35k US to get one, wish I could.

Funny thing is, I'd buy a Ducati before I'd buy an Aprilia.

If Guzzi doesn't produce what I want over the next few years, I'll be going with a Ducati.

The only way Piaggio/Aprilia will get any of my money is if they produce a Guzzi that I want to ride...

I'd settle for a sport-tourer :)

My V11 makes a decent sport tourer, so I'm happy for the time being.

I hope they have something sporty to offer when the time comes to replace it.

Funny thing is, I'd buy a Ducati before I'd buy an Aprilia.

If Guzzi doesn't produce what I want over the next few years, I'll be going with a Ducati.

The only way Piaggio/Aprilia will get any of my money is if they produce a Guzzi that I want to ride...

Well I would have liked the 1098 as well but at the time of purchase I had no idea how good they would be mechanically AND I want to ride not wrench, piaggio aside its hard to beat the rock solid Rotax inside and thats what I paid for the bike is currently bullet proof aside from a faulty antifreeze hose clamp(they went to the cheapo snap ring non reuseable style)

Several of hte 1098s have had problems I didn't want to deal with either some have had none but ducati's track record isn't my cup of tea, someday yes I do really want one don't get me wrong on that.

Before anyone runs out and bys a MGS and decides to run it on the street I suggest you have a good hard long look at the service shecdule. Big ends and recommend to change every 4000kms on spec. I'll keep mine as Track only it unfortuane Guzzi isn't doing a "Sports model but with such an old engine design trying to match the performance of the modern superbikes it just isn't possible. BMW are returning to racing Guzzi are still trying to prove to Piaggio that they are profitable I'm quiet happy to concentrate on that for a few years. I'll keep my super rare Guzzi "Sport bikes".

Before anyone runs out and bys a MGS and decides to run it on the street I suggest you have a good hard long look at the service shecdule. Big ends and recommend to change every 4000kms on spec.

What is the reason for that?

I am skeptical <_>

By the way, here is my lousy photo chop job blending the "monza" TT R with the MGS01.

Use your imagination and you will know the potential. It would look better in red, and I suppose you could convert a Quatrovalvole Griso into something like this:

1200ttmgsdc9.jpg

I could scan the manual if you like, Dunno something about 4000kms of competiton use at 9000rpm.

So maybe street use would be fine and we could follow the Griso quatrovalvole maintenance schedule, if we keep the revs under 8000 rpm and the speeds under double legal???

Otherwise only millionaires and museum keepers could own the bike. <_>

What is the reason for that?

I am skeptical <_>

Probably the same reasons you do much more maintainence per mile traveled on any racebike then you do on a streetbike. Increased load/stress on parts and oil, and spinning motor much higher/longer are the two that come to mind first for me.

And I would agree that under street use it should last much longer. Much like the Aprilia SXV 450/550. Intended for racing, it gets a new top end something like every 30 hours. But if you ride it on the street it is not so bad(They're no Guzzi, though, that's for sure).

Otherwise only millionaires and museum keepers could own the bike. <_>

The Corsas sold for something like $28k in North America.

That's a lot of money for a trackday toy or livingroom kinetic sculpture.

I'd say that puts the bike squarely in the niche of millionaires and museum keepers, wouldn't you?

The Corsas sold for something like $28k in North America.

That's a lot of money for a trackday toy or livingroom kinetic sculpture.

I'd say that puts the bike squarely in the niche of millionaires and museum keepers, wouldn't you?

I am no millionaire, but if MGS01 had a normal maintenance schedule, I could almost afford one.

If that maintenance schedule was required for the street, I am not sure I could not afford to ride it, even if the bike was given to me.

AAYMMV

The specs are for racing. My Sporti is a road bike but WHB adds that for "continuos usage at high speed" I should replace the drive shaft at 1,000 kms :o Hell, I grease it at 5,000 kms! Give that a thought.

The shaft is just fine after 55,000 kms and I don't intend to replace it even after 100,000 kms unless I find something's wrong with it. Maybe at 150,000 or 200,000 kms I would consider replacing it for the mileage alone.