No sport bike in Guzzi range marketing director says

1100sport

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah - you can transverse it, in line it, cross ways it and counter rotate it - but you ain't gonna' top this!

The X!

http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/moto-e...rch_2K8_002.jpg

http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/moto-e...rch_2K8_003.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2olsos

Some may call it longitudual-X quad, but I prefer the "pedantic" transverse X-quad, or maybe transverse radial four.

While this engine has a simplistic beauty to it, there are some draw backs like a high center of gravity and a challenge to have even cylinder lubrication.

If it is reverse rotating crank, all the better, and the uneven lubrication can probably be dealt with well enough.

I imagine it is a pretty smooth.

Still I would rather have a long legged transversal-V 8 or (less?) pedantically a longitudual V-8 sport touring shafty.

Clearly a transversal V-8 would be better on the race track. It is a shame Guzzi has not had the money to bring the V-8 back to MotoGP. :D

Ah - you can transverse it, in line it, cross ways it and counter rotate it - but you ain't gonna' top this!

The X!

jj2s_X4_400_march_2K8_002.jpg

jj2s_X4_400_march_2K8_003.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2olsos

Like all these concept bikes, put mirrors, indicators, number plate, huge cat exhaust, proper seat, brake lines etc and all of a sudden it looks quite like lots of other bikes!

He said it was similar to the VA-10. We shall see. You know, Guzzi has been in bankruptcy ever since the transverse-V engine debuted. Now when Guzzi stands poised to enter the water-cooled era, they stick with the architecture that has resulted in continued non-success and which makes no sense if you do not need to expose the cylinders to the cooling of the wind? Yep. That's what they'll do.

I think there are other advantages to the Guzzi layout then cylinder cooling and I would love to see a water cooled transverse-V motor. To me it's a big part of the appeal. The impact on handling as well as the look. Water cooling is coming. It would be hard to avoid. Even Harley has a water cooled bike(two if you count the new Buell). I say bring it on. More power good. And incorperating the trans into the engine to shorten the length of the drive train would be a huge step forward. I would love it. Not holding my breath on any of this though.

Good idea, bad idea, I can see both sides. We Guzzi folks are a bit off center anyway. :wacko:

I was always fond of the original Honda CX500. Double the displacement might be fun to try. But will it sell? Will it attract new buyers? We may get to find out. What ever it is, I hope it is a home run for Moto Guzzi. :mg:

Cheers,

Steve

Guest ratchethack
Good idea, bad idea, I can see both sides. We Guzzi folks are a bit off center anyway. :wacko:

Yes, indeed. There's at least two sides to every coin ;) , and it's always important to remain open to different perspectives. . . as long as they're, umm. . . well, grounded in an earthly frame of reference. . . :rolleyes:

post-1212-1206723089.jpg

The right pair o' specs on a b!tch is simply stunning, n'est-ce pas?

Some may call it longitudual-X quad, but I prefer the "pedantic" transverse X-quad, or maybe transverse radial four.

Well, just to be co-pedantic, taint no sech critter as a radial w/ an even # of cylinders. So "Transverse x-opposed four" or something, but not a "radial four." :nerd:

Discovery of why radials must have an odd number of cylinders is left as an exercise for the reader... ;)

Ride on!

:mg:

The X!

Just don't hit any bumps... ;)

Guest ratchethack
Well, just to be co-pedantic, taint no sech critter as a radial w/ an even # of cylinders. So "Transverse x-opposed four" or something, but not a "radial four." :nerd:

Discovery of why radials must have an odd number of cylinders is left as an exercise for the reader... ;)

Ride on!

:mg:

Co-Pedant Hatchracket reporting. ;) I had my suspicions that odd vs. even cylinders would be preferred for balance based on nothing more than logic and reason, but not being much of an aero motor kind-of-a-guy, I had to check. Lo and behold, my suspicions are upheld.

Fellow Pedants :P may want to refer to drawings worth at least thousands of words here (see FAQ bullet #2):

http://www.radialengines.com/faq_section/index.htm#q2

:nerd:

Well, just to be co-pedantic, taint no sech critter as a radial w/ an even # of cylinders

Of course you have no evidence of this.

The best Ratchet could come up with is an explation for why odd numbers of cylinders are used on four stroke radials. Thanks, I did not know that there were vibration issues with even numbered radials.

Googling for "four cylinder radial engine" comes up with a few hits, mostly patents and other bull, but these two seem to support my contention that you can refer to it as a radial four:

"For 15 years his company, Zoche Aero-Diesels, has been developing two engine versions, the ZO 01A, an 84kg, 150hp four-cylinder radial engine with 2.66 litre cc and two-stage charging....snip" http://www.aerokurier.rotor.com/AKHEFT/Akh0012/Aeh0012e.htm

"32 hp Konig SD 570 four-cylinder radial engine"

http://www.britishaircraft.co.uk/aircraftpage.php?ID=790

I would however draw a line at three cylinders being the fewest number of cylinders to define a radial engine.

Of course you have no evidence of this.

The best Ratchet could come up with is an explation for why odd numbers of cylinders are used on four stroke radials. Thanks, I did not know that there were vibration issues with even numbered radials.

Googling for "four cylinder radial engine" comes up with a few hits, mostly patents and other bull, but these two seem to support my contention that you can refer to it as a radial four:

Actually, I do.

Actually, I misstated the conditions: there are no single-row radials w/ an even number of cylinders. [As all two-row radials of course have an even # of cylinders; an odd # times an even # (in this case, 2) results in an even #.]

The key is the number of cylinders working thru one throw on the crank. Those Konig motors are essential two crossed horizontally opposed (boxer) twins. Not the same thing as a "radial" which typically has one master con-rod w/ a bunch of slave rods that connect thru it to the crank throw.

Whatever, I just couldn't resist the "co-pedantic" opportunity... :nerd:

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I read on a greek magazine that Moto Guzzi plans to produce a new street legal superbike, based on the MGS01. It is not known whether it'll have liquid cooled engine or not..

Also they say that the new engine will be upgraded to 1400cc.

Let us wait...and see...

I'll buy one.

How's your bike running with your "blended" map, Dimitris?

soon I'll post a text about the current condition of the bike....which is not so bad...since on last Friday I was in the circuit....where....many 4cylinder japanish 600ers...had an eagle as a nightmare..in every corner...(the only chance they had was during the big straight line-600meters). Imagine that the custom map is not ready yet...I am running with an...-could say-.."incorrect" map..But more to come soon... http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry142202