Am I doing the right thing?

Dimitris

Hi,

My V11 LeMans has the BMC air filter, the Ferracci lid air kit, the Mistral Crossovers and Titanium Silencers, and the PCIII usb (bought from Todd-RacerX, and the package included 4 maps one of which is a map for the Mistral silencers). Since I often go for trackdays my mechanic installed to the PCIII the map made for the Quat-D xover-muffler and not the map made for Mistrals. The reason that he installed this map is that I do trackdays and since I want that something more, it is better that way. I just followed his thought.

I just notice that I smell benzin whenever I turn the bike on. The mixture is probably rich. My mechanic told me that I have nothing to fear of. I am not legal, I know but...keeping in mind that I go trackdays....

One month ago according to the protocol of this forum we followed the procedure for the TPS-TB balancing (150mV with the connecting rod not connected etc..). After the procedure finished the bike was idling perfectly. It was like I was hearing...a....Honda (hahahahahaha)...We also realized that the benzin-smell was not so.."strong".

Last Sunday I went for a ride. I noticed that the bike had difficulties when the revs were reaching 7.000 rpm with the 5th and 6th gear. When I put 4th, the revs could reach 8.000 rpm or more (with a little bit difficulty) but with the 5th or 6th gear on, when reaching 7.000rpm I was feeling that the bike will spill its gut out..(I hope it is correct written..haha).

So my mechanic, through the PCIII increased the mixture at high revs only (2 or 3 scales if I remember well). I went for a ride immediately and noticed that the bike could accelarate better with the 5th and 6th gear, reaching and passing 7.000rpms till 8.000 and more, without the difficulties I was sensing..

There are many things that trouble me...and I don't know from where to start....

Apart from all the things I wrote above I want to add also:

When I bought the bike (stock, nothing had been changed) I started noticing that when I was accelerating, then keeping the throttle gauge steady and then deccelerating the bike was behaving...not smooth...it was like sudden coughs....there was no smoothness...Also the idle was not steady.

Then I mounted the PCIII with the Mistrals, thinking that the problem could be solved. BUT the time when the problem was solved was when the TPS was reset (about 5 months ago but not the forum's way). After a short period of time I noticed that cough symptoms again and then we followed the forum's TPS procedure I wrote above...

The cough symptoms are "healed" although I sometines feel the..lack of smoothness I would like to have...

So you see I feel lost....Does my TPS has problems and needs to be changed?

What about the racing map I am currently running...

The benzin smell...

Why did the problem become lesser when the mixture was increased through the PCIII, since I already use the Quat-D map? Although it was solved...should I nevertheless change the map and load the Mistral map? Will it be better?

The thing that I care the most is not to have that cough symptoms. I want smoothness when I open and close the throttle.

What is the top speed you see with your V11 LeMans?

At what revs is the revlimiter?

sorry if I write a lot...I just wanted to write these things for a time now.... :rolleyes:

Thank you for "listening"...

:2c:

Did Todd recommend a map for your bike? I'd go with what he recommends over what your mechanic picked. I seriously doubt that a map for the Quat D under transmission exhaust is ideal for your bike with the Mistral crossover and Mistral mufflers.

IMO you need to find a map that most closely matches your intake and exhaust setup for your exact bike. I believe the 2003 and later euro bikes had a catylitic converter in the crossover. I don't know if the factory map for those bikes is different than the non-cat'ed we got here in the US. If so a US developed map might not be ideal. If no one here knows the answer to this question I would hope that Todd could help you out there.

If the factory mapping is the same as the US bikes there must be a few members here with a very similar setup to what you have. Maybe they'll step up and share their map with you.

If the Euro bikes got a different map you may want to start a new thread here with a title something like "Euro PCIII map needed", and detail your modifications in the body of the post. Hopefully someone will have a map you can try.

Finally, your best but most expensive option is to get a custom map done at a PCIII dyno center. Good luck!

:2c:

Maps aren't just a matter of richer or leaner. A map for a Quat-D exhaust may be richer then a map for a bike with Mistrals at some rpms and throttle positions and leaner in others. If you can't afford to have a map built by someone who knows what a Guzzi needs, I would suggest starting with a map that RacerX recommends or a map custom made for someone elses bike with a like setup.

From what I've heard, the Quat-D has a different fuel curve then a normal twin pipe setup.

I agree with Tom and GuzziMoto. On top of that, one advantage with a PCIII over a custom map in your OEM ECU is that you can switch map back and forth yourself, it's very easy. The best solution would be to load one map for track days and load another one when you fit the Mistrals. Of course there is the issue of having the equipment (like a laptop) but I think I recall there is the alternative to bring the PCIII inside, to your stationary computer and run it off a 9V battery while changing map?

Edit: are you actually saying you don't have a Quat-D? I first read it as you use a Quat-D for track days. If you really only run Mistrals, using a map for Quat-D is just plain wrong I'd guess!

Hi Dimitiis

The coughing off throttle and unstable idle are symptoms of a compromised intake boot.Happened to me ,

and they are a common problem.It still may be your A/F mixture but make sure there are no cracks in the boots,

Michael

Hello Dimitris, I definately agree with the post above, as an easy item to check, and...

Do you know someone who has the AXONE? My next move is to pull the Powercommander. It is my understanding that the PCIII controls only the fuel mixtures, but the Axone can control, with more precision, more aspects of the specific mapping of your ECU. And you get to lose some MINIMAL weight, and gain a WHOLE cigarette pack's worth of storage in the tail! :lol:

I admittededly don't have much technical knowlege on these subjects, but I have been in contact with several people who swore it was worth it, (my guy is GOOD). Also, you can go through one of our "top of our page" sponsers, TLM, who will do the same thing, with you giving them your bikes set up, and them having MUCHO experience in mapping EVERY V11 set up, and doin' you right (as reported in other threads by other happy members of this site). Good hunting, S.H.

My Bike: '04 Nero Corsa

My Set Up: FBF pistons, oversize valves, headwork, C.F. slip ons, and their airbox conversion w/BMC. Also a big Breva cam. I made a "Roper Plate", and I am in the midst of removing ANYTHING that does not make it RUN. Dyno'ed at 90 rear wheel.

P.S. I like the way you throw around those 7-8K RPM figures, I'm with you Bro. I'd explain my #1 signature, but you already get it :ph34r::bier::rasta::notworthy::mg::wub:

P.S. I like the way you throw around those 7-8K RPM figures, I'm with you Bro. I'd explain my #1 signature, but you already get it :ph34r::bier::rasta::notworthy::mg::wub:

If these bikes are properly tuned....at those revs..feel like..heaven..( :P:D )

Today I changed the map. More smoothness at high revs. Accelarating better at high revs. No hesitations at high revs. 10 more kilometers/h as maximum speed (220km/h and maybe more..), BUT lost power at mid range. Guess you can't have everything...

I think the best will be to upload the fisrt map whenever I go for track days.

You can have everything. Either take the bike to a good power commander tuning guy, or you(or someone you know) could take both maps and combine them into one. The first choice is the better choice, but ya' gotta do what you can sometimes.

The beauty of fuel injection is that you can have it all. And a power commander will let you adjust a map to taylor it to your bike. Be sure to save a unmodified version of the map first in case you mess it up.

You can have everything. Either take the bike to a good power commander tuning guy, or you(or someone you know) could take both maps and combine them into one. The first choice is the better choice, but ya' gotta do what you can sometimes.The beauty of fuel injection is that you can have it all. And a power commander will let you adjust a map to taylor it to your bike. Be sure to save a unmodified version of the map first in case you mess it up.

I'm thinking seriously of combining these 2 maps. It would be very interesting to see the results. You 're right. Through the PCIII you can have everything!

I'm thinking seriously of combining these 2 maps. It would be very interesting to see the results. You 're right. Through the PCIII you can have everything!

Get that cracked exhaust fixed before doing any of this! Air leaks in the ex. line can cause strange performance (& burned valves in extreme cases), so attend to that first before noodling around w/ the PCIII...

Best of luck!

If these bikes are properly tuned....at those revs..feel like..heaven..( :P:D )

Today I changed the map. More smoothness at high revs. Accelarating better at high revs. No hesitations at high revs. 10 more kilometers/h as maximum speed (220km/h and maybe more..), BUT lost power at mid range. Guess you can't have everything...

I think the best will be to upload the fisrt map whenever I go for track days.

Since you bought the PCIII from Todd, I am sure he will hook you up with the right maps.

Just email him all the details and he can make you a map for track and a map for touring.

No need to compromise!

Of course nothing will beat a custom map tuned to your bike, but Todd has the best selection of maps, and know-how to make them work.

Get that cracked exhaust fixed before doing any of this! Air leaks in the ex. line can cause strange performance (& burned valves in extreme cases), so attend to that first before noodling around w/ the PCIII...

Best of luck!

+1

There are several sources for used headers,Classifieds here,Reboot in France,Ebay,or Racer X's new headers.

Probably 90% chance ,this is your problem.

+1

There are several sources for used headers,Classifieds here,Reboot in France,Ebay,or Racer X's new headers.

Probably 90% chance ,this is your problem.

thank you all for your responses! On Wednesday it will be welded.

I see very little reason to add a PCIII without getting a custom map, after properly mapping your bike, it runs absolutley perfect, no downloaded map will ever give you the same quality. The map is made exactly for your bike and its variabilities.