V-twin voices, Marshall stacks,

The cartoon threads and such-like throw up some really interesting items that wouldn't otherwise be discovered. I'd never seen La Linea before.

Maybe some nice discoveries and evocations can be had from the thousands of old music move clips out in webworld?

I'm not talking glossy pop-promos here (unless it's something really special). I'm thinking more about the footage that evokes the smell of dust burning on hot 4-valve power. Quatrovalvole EL34s: swoon...

Guitars with twin-pot chug and rumble, rather than the multi-cylinder squeal of shredding pyrotechnics.

Marshall, Vox, Wem, Moto Guzzi v-twin – not such different worlds? And as Guzzi riders know (see the Why is Guzzi Your Beloved Bike thread) it's not all about the horsepower numbers on the dynochart. As a YouTube commenter notes:

"exactly, it isn't all about musical theory.

which is why i consider Hendrix and Clapton the best.. their music/riffs simply sounded better.

faster is really next to never better on the guitar.

After a certain point of learning how to get to any note, any time, intangibles come into play, and that separates the Hendrix's from the Malmsteen's.

Music in essence, is expression of emotion through art.

the way i judge the guitarists are, expression of emotion through note combo's/song concepts."

To start off:

here's the man with the Moto Guzzi voice

Jeff Beck Group - Plynth

Faces - Gasoline Alley / Around the Plynth

and here, Eric demonstrates his 4 primary controls :cheese::grin: and gives a lesson on his

Woman Tone

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guzzi in music. Tough question...

to me pinkfloyd is the One. Their music is like a theatre /when you arrive on guzzi anywhere it is a definately theatre :)

albums Division Bell, Wall, Wish you were here... It's melancholik, its powerfull, it'll make you cry, smile, laugh... that's guzzi.

another ones...

Czech Krausberry, such charismatic voice, wonderful guitar, complex texts

Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi... to me still a myth. Also, in 50s' guzzi was on the top of charts of european bike, but imagine now, 50yrs later, guzzi is "small" fabrique with great history, sure, but number of potentional customers has melted into tons of another choices. That fills me with sorrow and makes me bit sad. But it has some light spots. You and your guzzi is always in focus.

just like Shine on you crazy diamond on old electron tube amplifier...

more:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have you ever seen the rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9_ipu9GKw

Slade - Mama weer all crazy now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPulu85q04

Simon Garfunkel - Hazy shade of Winter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yheo2AgNywU

Judas Priest - Run to the Mills

Dire Straits - On every street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARPFUsrcD4

....which is why i consider Hendrix and Clapton the best.. their music/riffs simply sounded better.

After a certain point of learning how to get to any note, any time, intangibles come into play, and that separates the Hendrix's from the Malmsteen's.

Much like a Guzzi, his soul is precisely the reason Clapton is great, but in my eyes Beck is still best.

Well, I don't know who is best. But I know who my favorite is............Page-y!

Sometimes he sucks so bad it is almost comical, like the majority of the Heartbreaker guitar break and other times he is so unbelievably good it brings me to tears, like I'm Gonna Crawl or Custard Pie. Sometimes he is good and bad at the same time, but he is going for it and that energy is not lost on this listener.

I love Claptons songs more than his playing, like Bellbottom Blues, The Core, Layla. He is great, but I don't quite feel his guitar work the same way I do Pages and Becks. Beck's Come Dancing is absolutely BAD ASS, beginning to end. And even Jeffs work on Rod Stewarts Infatuation is cool.......Flame away!!! :lol:

They all groove well enough for me (Gilmore too)

Cheers,

Steve

Much like a Guzzi, his soul is precisely the reason Clapton is great, but in my eyes Beck is still best.

Well, let's go for the 'two is better' approach.

This track is a bit modern and polished for what I'd intended in this thread, but it's still pretty good guzzi-style, I think.

Twin style: EC & JB

Oh, gotta admit, single is pretty fine: press start and roll the throttle – or whatever any old which way... Does Termignoni do a Jeff Beck?

I'm still hoping for some clips where the leathercloth is peeling from the chipboard cabinets.

Something a bit elemental yet has the essence of classic style, something where the raucous rort and blat is underlaid by a solid bed of earth hum; something a bit rickety-rackety, clackety-clanky, but sweetly chewable as Italian coffee; dark, light, flawed, perfect, always soulful.

A bit big block ditch pump. A bit Rory Gallagher checked shirt and denim jacket, a bit Rory Gallagher Stratocaster. A bit Catfish, a bit Sugar Mama.

Hmmm. Maybe '90s Rory is a good picture of MG? Troubled, overweight, near to death, but still capable of roaring, raging, flying: inspired and exuding spirit.

And the Twin version, with equally bloated Jack Bruce, making it up as it rolls along.

More twins: Pauls, Rodgers and Kossoff.

I had better go to bed

clapton----farther on up the road. can anyone dig up some blind faith video?

Try this Frank

Blind Faith

A nice Winwood touch to Under My Thumb

And here's a restrained version of The Classic – now can someone find this from the Rainbow concert, at the point where the wah wah solo kicks in and your hair stands on end – kinda like winding the V.11 up to full chat (just stretching it, to keep this thread on track)? Here's a poor quality version from MSG

This track is a bit modern and polished for what I'd intended in this thread, but it's still pretty good guzzi-style, I think.

That clip gave me chills. Beck's "Blow by Blow" album is an all time favorite of mine. Pretty much everything you've linked is stuff I like. To compare guitars and motors, I remember being at a Beck concert several years ago and in between bands the lights were on in the theater and the crowd was shuffling about. He was getting ready back stage and there was a single, very loud and quick chord from behind the curtain that brought everybody to attention. It instantly reminded me of being at the dragstrip and hearing the unmistakable crack of a top fuel car's throttle from the pits. You couldn't see it but you knew what was coming.

Czech Krausberry, such charismatic voice, wonderful guitar, complex texts

A little too American. Not bad thing in itself but Central Europe had plenty to be blue about without importing another continent's music. Heard of SBB? Can't find "Freedom" so you'll have to "Follow my dream". Spot the influences.......

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wW4AYHM8V7o

There's only one JB track that ever appealed to me. If it's close enough for Jazz, it's close enough for me.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tHw9b4BBV9Y

which is why i consider Hendrix and Clapton the best.. their music/riffs simply sounded better.

I would disagree as I believe they're not playing the same league. Clapton is a great guitar player, when Hendrix was a great ELECTRIC guitar player who made and played songs for this specific medium while Clapton was "merely" using electricity for itself. JHendrix was more inventive, adventurous and bold, when Clapton, all brilliant than he is, is an instrumentalist more than a composer.

From the sixties, I would personally pick up Hendrix, Zappa, John Cippolina (Quicksilver Messenger Service

), and Jimmy Page (

Now, we're only talking about guitar in a solist way and that spares you to have to look at great videos from arguably one of the best rock band ever: Iggy And The Stooges. :)

You are missing someone; the one who could swoop and soar with the best.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6FMq0iDX1yE&...feature=related

(And, like Guzzis, the audio is out of synch with the picture.....)

Of course! I was trying to think of another 'MG' voice (like early Rod) and completely forgot about the Mad (Dog) Englishman.

Good one.

SBB – is that Jan Hammer? Suppose not, but it looks like him, or did they all look like that back then?

Did you mean to post Alvin Lee instead of a jazzy Jeff Beck? No harm done anyway as TYA should always be heard, somewhere along the way. Yer man was an energetic thriller, but a bit mechanical in the repetitive fingerwork??

I guess it's gonna be Canned Heat and then maybe Butterfield Blues Band, next? Just a feeling in my bones.

And Locomotive Breath, yes! I'll always remember the first time I heard that chugalug.