V-twin voices, Marshall stacks,

I would disagree as I believe they're not playing the same league. Clapton is a great guitar player, when Hendrix was a great ELECTRIC guitar player who made and played songs for this specific medium while Clapton was "merely" using electricity for itself. JHendrix was more inventive, adventurous and bold, when Clapton, all brilliant than he is, is an instrumentalist more than a composer.

From the sixties, I would personally pick up Hendrix, Zappa, John Cippolina (Quicksilver Messenger Service

), and Jimmy Page (

Now, we're only talking about guitar in a solist way and that spares you to have to look at great videos from arguably one of the best rock band ever: Iggy And The Stooges. :)

I agree with your emphasis there J. That quote wasn't mine. I was quoting from a YouTube comment for its general 'thrust' rather than complete endorsement.

However: Iggy and the Stooges!!? Are you Belgian? :lol:

----------- OK – so here's the point and the value of the thread. I've just had a look for and a listen again to Mr Pop Stooge. I'll reassess that one. Not bad. :rolleyes: Rather good with Kate Pierson.

But perhaps he's a bit more Buell? Oh* I know – it's the Ghezzi-Brian thing! Of course!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Cippolina (Quicksilver Messenger Service
),

yeh, I smelt the burnt valves in that one.

I'm surprised that the Tenni Guys haven't chipped in yet, with something that's hot enough to 'burn', by... Peter GREEN. Not that I'd suggest that the V.11 is a bit of an 'albatross': even if it does require you to 'shake your moneymaker' more than a little.

:wacko:

Guest frankdugo
Try this Frank

Blind Faith

A nice Winwood touch to Under My Thumb

And here's a restrained version of The Classic – now can someone find this from the Rainbow concert, at the point where the wah wah solo kicks in and your hair stands on end – kinda like winding the V.11 up to full chat (just stretching it, to keep this thread on track)? Here's a poor quality version from MSG

thanks belfast! made me put on the vinyl to hear "do what you like".

so here's the point and the value of the thread. I've just had a look for and a listen again to Mr Pop Stooge(...) But perhaps he's a bit more Buell?

Iggy is bad. He's a torn cafe racer that will dig deeper than you in a nasty corner and cut your line...

Zanzaniguzzi.jpg

As for the Buell pointing, I dunno. Iggy's life has seen ups and downs and like every musician, the right choices are sometimes dictated by the amount of food you have in your plate or not...

Of course! I was trying to think of another 'MG' voice (like early Rod) and completely forgot about the Mad (Dog) Englishman.

Good one.

SBB – is that Jan Hammer? Suppose not, but it looks like him, or did they all look like that back then?

Did you mean to post Alvin Lee instead of a jazzy Jeff Beck? No harm done anyway as TYA should always be heard, somewhere along the way. Yer man was an energetic thriller, but a bit mechanical in the repetitive fingerwork??

I guess it's gonna be Canned Heat and then maybe Butterfield Blues Band, next? Just a feeling in my bones.

And Locomotive Breath, yes! I'll always remember the first time I heard that chugalug.

Jozef Szrek. Silesian Blues Band or three Polish words with many more consonants than vowels that mean something like "Storm, Lightning and Trepidation". I think. If you can get a copy of "Follow my Dream", which was produced at least semi-illicitly during a period of martial law in Poland you might find that prog rock can actually make you weep.

Finger stumble with TYA.

Not a great fan of CH. Prefer this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fA51wyl-9IE

Lovely little segue. 8-)

You might be noticing a theme developing.

Guest frankdugo

always thought george h&keith r came up with good rifts.talking about electric creativity-how bout chuck b. "song of the wind",santana-caravanserai.

Wouldn't Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath" be a candidate here? Name of the song alone should give it honorable mention, at the very least, in any Guzzi song list, no?

http://tinyurl.com/28fja9

I am going to see Jethro Tull in York in May- it will be the fourth time I have seen them live but the last time was around 1989. I believe BFG is the lead singer- no time for photoshopping David's head onto Ian Anderson's body but you'll get my drift.

Back to the Guzzi / music thing- to me, a Guzzi sounds best when its being thrashed up an alpine pass, the sound of thunder echoing off the mountains. Its great to stand at a vantage point, and just listen to a Guzzi approaching from a couple of miles away, being thrashed within an inch of its life by an enthusiastic rider.

So Guzzi music must be deep, loud and thunderous, with the occasional quieter interlude as the revs drop and you cruise along without a care in the world. I quite like all the 60s / 70s blues rock suggested so far, and I guess a lot of Guzzisti would like that sort of stuff too, but for those rev limter bouncing mountain moments may I suggest Slayer- turn your speakers up and rock!!! This track is now getting on for a quarter of a century old- classic rock? B)

Back to the Guzzi / music thing- to me, a Guzzi sounds best when its being thrashed up an alpine pass, the sound of thunder echoing off the mountains. Its great to stand at a vantage point, and just listen to a Guzzi approaching from a couple of miles away, being thrashed within an inch of its life by an enthusiastic rider.

So Guzzi music must be deep, loud and thunderous, with the occasional quieter interlude as the revs drop and you cruise along without a care in the world.

How about somehting that runs like a good ride - slow and steady at first, rising to a climax and then tapering off again. Maybe a little like "Careful with that axe, Eugene". This is a bit earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRV9QCXLtHQ#

I can't access the vids at the moment as Javascript is turned off, so apologies if the sound is poor. You should be able to find another copy.

Iggy is bad. He's a torn cafe racer that will dig deeper than you in a nasty corner and cut your line...

Zanzaniguzzi.jpg

That bike – that's Iggy, definitely :lol:

Jozef Szrek.

You might be noticing a theme developing.

Maybe I was thinking of Thijs van Leer. Thijs van Leer / Jan Hammer / Jozef Szrek – oh I don't know. It was all so long agogo...

A theme developing? Well I'm having enough trouble, trying to keep the MG-related theme in this music stuff, without you going and developing new themes!

Good Peter Green Tribute, by the way.

So Guzzi music must be deep, loud and thunderous, with the occasional quieter interlude as the revs drop and you cruise along without a care in the world.

I've said here before that I have a lasting and momentous impression of hearing a LM Guzzi traveling up a mountain valley, a long time ago. I was camping in Glen Nevis when I heard a slow thunder rumbling up the Glen. I didn't know anything much about Guzzi's but I knew it had to be one. In the distance a red machine passed by. Unforgettable and one of the reasons that I ended-up getting a Guzzi, a long time later. Yes: it's the music.

How about somehting that runs like a good ride - slow and steady at first, rising to a climax and then tapering off again. .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRV9QCXLtHQ#

Eric Burdon is one of those voices that I had in mind.

Here's another that does what you say, when the guitar comes in. Tobacco Road

and here, joined by Jimi, 16 September 1970: just before he died, 18 September.

On another matter: I go away for a week and come back to find that still no-one has posted anything by Van (no, not V.11 Van). How can that be?!

Even 1964/65's Gloria, surely? G - L - O - R - i - i - i - A gonna shout it every day

Starting up the Guzzi rhythm