Seized Engine

PEPPERONI BROS.

I sold my beloved V11 Sport to a friend of mine who let his 16 year old son ride it, it showed up on my doorstep the other night with a seized engine. There was plenty of oil in the crankcase, although it seemed burnt, when I pulled the filter cover to check that the filter hadn't loosened, there were some small square copper flakes in the bottom of it. I have no idea what this kid was doing with the bike other than he mentioned hitting the rev limiter a few times [i didn't even know it had one!] I'm not ready to pull this thing apart yet as my race bike is still apart from it's spectacular blowup at the BUB meet last year, and was wondering if any you might have an idea what might have let go. It is locked up tight! Thanks, Tom PS, when it goes back together, it will have one of Pete's plates in it!

How long ago did you sell the bike? If more than a few weeks I don't see why this is your problem. Is your friend expecting you to fix this at no cost to him?

There's no way to tell if oil was added after the failure. I'm no expert but I'd guess the copper looking shards in the sump could be rod bearing fragments. There have been some reports here of rod bearing failures for no apparent reason, so that's a possibility. Something must be really wrong for the motor to be frozen...

I sold my beloved V11 Sport to a friend of mine who let his 16 year old son ride it, it showed up on my doorstep the other night with a seized engine. There was plenty of oil in the crankcase, although it seemed burnt, when I pulled the filter cover to check that the filter hadn't loosened, there were some small square copper flakes in the bottom of it. I have no idea what this kid was doing with the bike other than he mentioned hitting the rev limiter a few times [i didn't even know it had one!] I'm not ready to pull this thing apart yet as my race bike is still apart from it's spectacular blowup at the BUB meet last year, and was wondering if any you might have an idea what might have let go. It is locked up tight! Thanks, Tom PS, when it goes back together, it will have one of Pete's plates in it!

No Roper plate on your old motor, was there?

Kid was stuntin', long wheelies under the baleful red glare of the "low oil pressure" idiot light, oil pickup in the sump sucking air, and the main bearings got toasted.

That's my diagnosis, & I'm sticking with it. Any second opinions? 'Ratch? Pete?

Ultimately, the kid's problem, not yours. Tell your friend to come pick up his bike, you don't have time to mess with it, unless he wants to sell his kid in indentured servitude to you for the duration of fixing your bike, then his... purely as a lesson in properly caring for his dad's property, you understand!

;)

As an alternative, you could tell your friend I'll buy the bike off him for a $50, and his boy can work to pay off the remainder of the difference for breaking his dad's toy! :lol:

Guest ratchethack

This is one o' the reasons I swore off selling anything to friends. Same with loaning tools and equipment. The downside risks are far worse than the consequences of explaining the principle. Yes, I had to learn the hard way first :blush:, but on this one, I've been fully repentant for years. ;)

I wouldn't venture a guess as to the cause without more facts, but anyone who bought any kind of moto and let their 16 year-old kid ride it has got a major screw loose. As far as I'm concerned (and regardless of local law on transactions) it doesn't make any difference how long the deal was done. From the instant he pulled the trigger on the deal, the new owner ALSO owned full responsibility for it. Unfortunately, his irresponsibililty has evidently put a friendship in jeopardy. Truly a sad deal. :( IMHO, having the kid bring it back and dump it on the doorstep was worse than disgraceful behavior. :angry:

It's not quite as bad as all that, they are more than happy to pay me to repair it, I did agree to maintain the bike after I sold it but was not prepared for catastrophic failure. I agree that no 16 year old should be anywhere near a fine machine like the V 11, let 'em try and blow up a Honda! It is depressing to see a machine that I polished into a fine jewel, ground to a halt in 800 miles, though. Thanks, for the input, Tom

Kid said he was hitting the rev limiter? Bet he was trying to launch hard and pull wheelies to impress his Beavis and Butthead mates too. Both or either of those are likely to expose the pick up and toast the big ends. If he was dim enough to try and ride it home after it started going 'Knock-Knock-Knock' it is no wonder it seized. Usually when the big ends let go the rider will shut the engine down immediately and not even try to start it again. If you're the sort of irresponsible retard who thinks its fun to abuse a bike that has been loaned to you and are so impervious to PAIN as to do it to your FATHER'S bike that he's lent you then you're probably quite cretinous enough to continue to ride it with buggered big ends and zero oil pressure so chances are it's seized the mains, stuffed the crank and maybe buggered everything in the motor bar the cylinder heads.

Good job Kid! Where'd I put my beating stick! :angry::moon:

Pete

It's not quite as bad as all that, they are more than happy to pay me to repair it, I did agree to maintain the bike after I sold it but was not prepared for catastrophic failure. I agree that no 16 year old should be anywhere near a fine machine like the V 11, let 'em try and blow up a Honda! It is depressing to see a machine that I polished into a fine jewel, ground to a halt in 800 miles, though. Thanks, for the input, Tom

No. THE KID pays to repair it otherwise he'll carry on being a selfish, ungrateful retard. AND you add in a BIG component of what is known as 'C-u-n-t Tax' to the bill. Friend or no friend his brat needs to be taught a short, sharp lesson. If it was one of my loathsome offspring they'd be living under the house and eating snails until the bill was paid and I'd be beating them half to death on a daily basis, just on principle! :grin:

Pete

Personnally, I would have a word with the father and get the kid to help repair it, as well as paying you. He'll see it as a punishment and, you never know, he might actually learn something and not do anything so bloody stupid again!!

Would you guys stop attacking the kid based on assumptions, and focus on what was asked? You were already proven wrong on the "friend expects free fix" assumption, which came out of nowhere. Sure, the kid MAY have wheelied the hell out of the bike but it aint necessarily so. oldgit.gif

Would you guys stop attacking the kid based on assumptions, and focus on what was asked? You were already proven wrong on the "friend expects free fix" assumption, which came out of nowhere. Sure, the kid MAY have wheelied the hell out of the bike but it aint necessarily so. oldgit.gif

Raz! It was admitted that he was bouncing it off the rev limiter! Would you do that with a borrowed bike! Shit! I won't do that with my own bike! At the local Italian bike day last Sunday I was amazed by the number of festerheads a lot older than the kid who in the 'Sound off' thought that holding their nearly cold engines on the RL was a 'Cool' thing to do. It's not. It's a moronic thing to do and it doesn't even sound good. One 'tard even said "I dunno why it puffs smoke like that when I do it?" Cut out the spark to two of four cylinders but keep adding fuel and it'll puff smoke! Morons!

He's damned by his own admission. Yes he's only 16. Oddly enough I was once too. I had a shitty old BSA A10 that I HAD to fix myself because no other bugger would. Some of my mates had much more modern tackle, one of 'em even had a Honda 750-4! He was a s close to God as anyone got! I wouldn't of dared ride it, never mind rev it till it broke!

Sorry. It's exactly the sort of attitude that says "It's not my fault I stabbed that pensioner and stole their handbag! It's because I come from a broken home and don't have enough money for a Ferrarri and an in-ground swimming pool!" Kack! BS! Cobblers! Rubbish! Too many excuses. Not enough bloody responsibility! :angry:

Pete

I have no idea what this kid was doing with the bike other than he mentioned hitting the rev limiter a few times [i didn't even know it had one!]

If he was happy to admit this then what would he feel was abuse of a motor? This young man needs a proper sorting out. You cannot take responsibility for this.

:o