V11 Ballabio, Cafe, Coppa--How to Disconnect Lines Underneath Tank

tmcafe

Plans of removing the shock to have it fixed have been delayed by a mix of very cold temps keeping me out of the dark and unheated garage, other things that needed attention, and my own lack of enthusiasm for the job I knew it wouldn't be much fun. Now that it's gotten a little warmer I had to go for it. Fortunately I'd emptied the tank the fun way, by riding the bike until it ran out of fuel :D. But removing the lines connected to the tank is still a puzzle. Having read all the posts on the subject, I know that some of us managed to mangle some of the plastic couplings bad enough to search for parts. The most relevant info I found for post-2003 bikes is this:

" Push the hose towards the rear of tank then push the grey ring towards the front of the tank hold pressure on the grey ring and you should now be able slide off the tap. They can be a bit difficult the first time. " (I guess it refers to the lines that go in and out the fuel pump; not sure if the ones in the middle of the tank, toward the front, would work the same). And this: "I removed the "OUT" line from the tank (you have to push in on the fuel line while pushing the retaining clip forward to release kind of a pain)." Reinserted: "reconnected the bikes fuel line to the "OUT" nipple(I like to say that)which was a snap, literally snaps right into place just push it on."

So first I'd have to disconnect the line with the red coupling (out) and the white coupling (in). Here they are:

V11InOutFuelPumpLines.jpg

It seems that it's kind of like a childproof push-and-twist gizmo, but I'd rather not take chances with parts that Luigi may not supply anymore. :D And the clip further down seems rather locked with a tab, on purpose.

V11InOutFuelPumpCouplings.jpg

Then there are the two lines in the center of the tank underside. Pics taken toward the front of the bike/tank: the one on the right is the breather, the left is the US vapor line. Not sure how they should be disconnected. They appear to have some hex nuts and be inserted in some kind of plastic things. I sure don't want to @#!#$# them up.

V11FuelLinesUnderTank.jpg

V11USandSensorLinesUnderTank.jpg

Down underneath the tank the breather line is coupled as in the pic below, but my guess is they should both be removed from where they're inserted into the tank.

V11FuelLineUnderTankCoupling.jpg

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And maybe somebody even less competent than me (and just as anal :D ) could use this info in the future. :D

Thanks for the tips! :bier:

Picture #1,2 Just from looking I would say just push the white portion and the black portion together and then (while holding them together) slide the connector off the fitting.

Picture # 3,4,etc. The one hose with no clamp(gently) pulls off. If you can get a 90 degree pic (tool) and use a lubricant toget between the hose and fiting ,it will make it easier to remove.The last picture is of a vale tha allows air into the tank and will not allow fuel to travel out. The lines with the clamps are supposedly non-reusable. You can slide a small screwdriver blade or ice-pic to pry the clamp open. Do not do this with applying pressure to the pipe or fitting. You do NOT want to break anything , remember plastic,fibre-glass,aluminum,etc. will not tolerate much twisting or bending.

The clamps can be reused with recrimping or if you are scared you can use worm type hose clamps.

REMEMBER; ALWAYS LABEL LINES TO GET THEM BACK IN THEIR PROPER PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 20 min. all hoses look identical.

Luigi told me to give you his regards and these two pages from the WM.

Think in older posts about the subject, I've read that there are better quality hose connectors by BMW...

Chris, from which book are those pics taken?

There is only one right way to install the tipover valve to have it work the way it's supposed to, and not allow a vacuum to be generated in the tank and fuel is consumed. Check this in the FAQ section for details. You'll find a link to diagrams towards the bottom.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=462

So first I'd have to disconnect the line with the red coupling (out) and the white coupling (in). Here they are:

V11InOutFuelPumpLines.jpg

It seems that it's kind of like a childproof push-and-twist gizmo, but I'd rather not take chances with parts that Luigi may not supply anymore. :D And the clip further down seems rather locked with a tab, on purpose.

V11InOutFuelPumpCouplings.jpg

Then there are the two lines in the center of the tank underside. Pics taken toward the front of the bike/tank: the one on the right is the breather, the left is the US vapor line. Not sure how they should be disconnected. They appear to have some hex nuts and be inserted in some kind of plastic things. I sure don't want to @#!#$# them up.

V11FuelLinesUnderTank.jpg

V11USandSensorLinesUnderTank.jpg

Down underneath the tank the breather line is coupled as in the pic below, but my guess is they should both be removed from where they're inserted into the tank.

V11FuelLineUnderTankCoupling.jpg

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And maybe somebody even less competent than me (and just as anal :D ) could use this info in the future. :D

Thanks for the tips! :bier:

Here's the scoop [i had pretty much your same questions about 6 mos? or more ago...]

The fuel lines: hold the 90deg plastic elbows to prevent stressing them, & push the fuel lines toward the elbow. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently use the jaws to pry the quick-release fittings away from the elbow. [sorry, it's hard to describe, but remember that you won't actually be putting any pressure into the grips of the pliers, you're just using the jaws as levers against the flat ring on the elbows to push the spring-loaded ends of the fuel lines back & POP! there goes a bunch of fuel all over everything. You did remember to put some shop towels below the lines to catch the dribbles of fuel, right? ;)]

The various other rubber lines will be CUT where they're conveniently accessed and straight brass hose barbs will be used to reconnect them. Sorry, I forgot the sizes I used. Take some sandpaper to one end of the hose barbs & round off the barb tips a little before putting them in, to make it easier to remove that side the next time you need to remove the tank: otherwise, they'll be a huge PITA to get undone again [DAMHIK.]

The first time you remove the tank, it's going to take about 3 hours, what with proceeding gingerly, running to the hardware store to get the right sized hose barbs, etc. The next time you do it, it's a 5 minute job. And you'll still not have enough shop towels for all the fuel dribbles! (How annoying!.. ;))

Best o' luck, & thanks to all the wonderful people here in v11LM.com who helped me out w/ my questions on this topic way back!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1