V11 Lost my gear box 'help'

dangerous

Well its not lost as such its still in the bike.. I think.

Now no signs of problems till I went to leave a stop sign and it would only go as far as 2nd, then wouldnt budge but finely went into 1st where its stayed ever since.

No neatural the leaver just moves down and wont budge up, locked in 1st.

WHATS GONE WRONG :huh2:

The first thing that i would do is clean the linkage. If that doesn't cure the problem, take the side of the gearbox off and have a look. It's a fairly simple operation, just remove the gear lever, starter motor and remote suspension unit, and you can take the gearbox side off.

looks like the spring is gone, no need to take the gearbox out, just remover starterengine, oil out, and then remove the small cover there. Now if the spring is broken, there is a set with a new pawl arm that is going to solve it forever. But the search function will show you enough thats writen about it here

See my last post under "spring reprise" thread below - I was stuck in 5th with same symptoms but spring was ok - due to stop pin coming loose - still need to remove selector cover to confirm though.

Gio

PAWL SPRING

yeah a few have said... but aparently when that spring brakes the leaver should still move, mine only moves down and is solid as to move up.

Ill check this spring out after work today, heres hoping aye.

The eccentric wouldn't suddenly go out of adjustment and make the box lose shifting capacity, would it? Have people found it working loose? Surely there would be a noticeable degradation in gear-change, before complete lockout? Suddenly locked out of shift: must be the spring?

Well, probably the spring, but a second thought: there's the other mystery problem that has been reported over the past few years but has never, to my recollection, had a satisfactory answer. Sometimes the box refuses to shift up and I've found it to be from second gear. Wasn't there another recent thread about this again? I don't know how that ended. Anyway, for me, all I could connect it to was that the engine / box was hotter than normal. It simply wouldn't change up from second. I even ended up opening the box at the side of the road to change the spring – but there was no sign of anything wrong. Linkage all working fine too. Others have also related this to heat. It's a mystery alright.

there's the other mystery problem that has been reported over the past few years but has never, to my recollection, had a satisfactory answer. Sometimes the box refuses to shift up and I've found it to be from second gear. Wasn't there another recent thread about this again? I don't know how that ended. Anyway, for me, all I could connect it to was that the engine / box was hotter than normal. It simply wouldn't change up from second. I even ended up opening the box at the side of the road to change the spring – but there was no sign of anything wrong. Linkage all working fine too. Others have also related this to heat. It's a mystery alright.

It's happened to me twice last summer while touring Europe- first time was ascending the Stelvio Pass up the hard way, I got stuck in gear halfway up. When I got to the top, I stopped to take a look, could see no obvious external problems, and when it started snowing thought it best to get down the other side and check it out in Bormio, but after 10 minutes of rest, the gearbox suddenly worked again. I had the bike checked out in Agostinis but the mechanic could find nowt wrong with it.

On the way home, after being stuck in a very hot traffic jam in Zurich city centre it happen again. Stopped by the roadside to let it cool down- and 10 mins later she was fine.

I am wondering whether it was something to do with hydaulics- have not changed the fluid for a while.

It's happened to me twice last summer while touring Europe- first time was ascending the Stelvio Pass up the hard way, I got stuck in gear halfway up. When I got to the top, I stopped to take a look, could see no obvious external problems, and when it started snowing thought it best to get down the other side and check it out in Bormio, but after 10 minutes of rest, the gearbox suddenly worked again. I had the bike checked out in Agostinis but the mechanic could find nowt wrong with it.

On the way home, after being stuck in a very hot traffic jam in Zurich city centre it happen again. Stopped by the roadside to let it cool down- and 10 mins later she was fine.

I am wondering whether it was something to do with hydaulics- have not changed the fluid for a while.

If you mean the clutch, I'd say definitely no – problem is in the gearbox. My gearbox oil was fresh. I filled it more, when I eventually found a garage with the right stuff, but the level didn't make any difference. Problem later reoccurred, on the way home from that trip, where it happened last.

I have had the shifter "stick" on me two or three times in 12k miles.

Shifting down, the shifter sticks in the down position and will not move up without LOTS of force.

It's kind of startling when it happens in traffic.

The eccentric wouldn't suddenly go out of adjustment and make the box lose shifting capacity, would it? Have people found it working loose? Surely there would be a noticeable degradation in gear-change, before complete lockout? Suddenly locked out of shift: must be the spring?

Good point, I just tried to come up with something else since he seemed not to believe in the spring thing. I guess the lock nut could theoretically work loose, and then after a while the excenter would move around from spring force when shifting. That is, if it resembles a 5-shifter excenter enough for this to make sense.

several good ideas have been posted, he just needs to start taking it apart starting with the easiest possible problem first and he'll be good.

Yip they have, and last night I started pulling it apart, not inside yet but the starter etc is off, I notice now that the leaver does move in bothe directions just dosent select, so its looking like the pawl.