V7 Classic - new Info

biesel

Visor Down is reporting a introductory price of 7,990 Euro for the V7 Classic. Same Euro price as the Nevada:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/vi...tures/4605.html

The Nevada is 7990 Euro in Italy and $7,990 in the USA. Hopefully this means that the V7 Classic will be in the $8,000 ballpark if/when it comes to the USA.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

price is here identical to the 750 breva, so take the normal, not discounted breva 750 price as guide.

But take a 1000s, and paint it white, then you have a bigblock v7 classic, not?

Pretty much. Only problem is the scarcity of the 1000s and the fact that the collectors have all run their prices up because of their scarcity & good looks.

As people have been saying for years, "Guzzi, release an updated 1000s and laugh your way to the bank!" But do they listen? No.... :huh2:

• 2 weeks later...

£5,699 in UK

MCN

First impressions: Moto Guzzi V7 launch - V7 classic is a retro roadster

By Phil West

Bike tests

13 May 2008 11:03

Phil West is testing the new Moto Guzzi V7 classic around Lake Como in Italy and these are his initial thoughts:

“The V7 Classic is a straight forward retro roadster that aims to take on Triumph’s proven and popular Bonneville and perhaps unsurprisingly it does a really honest and authentic job of it.

“It’s based on the Nevada 750 running gear with styling that harks back to the old V7 and V7 Sport of the early 1970s. Not only does it look good, it’s also simple, straightforward and easy to use whilst having bags of classic Guzzi V-twin character too.

“In a nutshell it’s half way between the Triumph Bonneville and the Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic and it’s priced between the two as well at £5699. As an introduction to Italian bikes they don’t come much sweeter.”

Phil’s full test report on the Moto Guzzi V7 in MCN on May 21, 2008.

Moto%20Guzzi%20V7.jpg

We ran a little poll a while back about the engine size and we returned some interesting results...49% stated that they shoulda released the bike with a larger motor (we suggested the Breva/Griso 850 lump for the example) 38% stated they felt the bike wuld be sufficiently powered in its 750 format.

Interestingly though, looking at the voting on a regional basis, the vast majority of voters from Europe would have preferred a larger engine whilst in the USA most preferred the smaller capacity...

I wonder if considerably higher fuel prices stateside means they are looking for more economical machines whereas in Europe, as we are used to over inflated fuel costs we don't care about that and just want power...maybe that might account for it...

One of our members from Belgium is du to be collecting his V7 Classic in the next week or so...we'll see what he thinks of it...

(we suggested the Breva/Griso 850 lump for the example)

Since the 850 Breva/Griso lump is a big block, just like all the other big blocks, why not suggest a 1200 ?

The big block won't fit in the Nevada chassis, so suggesting a big block engine for the V7 Classic is suggesting a whole 'nother bike, no ?

I don't think Piaggio are clueless, I don't want one, but I'm not the target audience, probably none of us are...

A drive through the lovely sunfilled cotswolds this afternoon and apart from a load of japanese sportsbikes, the only bike I saw more than one of was the Hinckley Bonnevilles, and I saw about 4 of 'em.

Now I own a box stock '68 US spec bonneville and a stripped down '74 750 Bonneville, and I HATE the ersatz hinckley version, with it's bloated weight and ugly angles, but I'm in the minority <_ . triumph have succesfully tapped into the zeitgeist for retro and convinced a largely uninformed buying public that these bikes are cool. there is absolutely no linkage with original much of derivative styling badly done tenuous buyers don care. in u.s most distinguish between meriden hinkley products like they do uk also so this now their best selling us bike.>

Soo, Guzzi (Piaggio) can either tap into the retro market with a lovely big blocked snorting 1200 sport engined beauty :wub: , and it will cost more than the Ducati Sportclassics and sell even worse. Dunno about US, but in UK they can't give them away, possibly due to stupid riding position for intended 40 something market on the Sports, and slightly dowdy image of the GT? Very low mileage used ones are readily available around 5000 quid and still not selling. Using the 850 griso engine won't save much as frame etc would also need to be from similar source..

Or, they can utilise existing sound if timid Nevada/Breva 750 running gear, and minimal re-engineering costs, and turn out a viable bonnie alternative for the Newbie/re-born market who don't care if it's only 40 odd horsepower (the bonnies are 50 odd bhp but weigh 100lbs more, go figure), as long as it's competent and PRETTY! Twin shocks is actually an advantage in this sector! So who cares if it's a V7 sport derivative, if that's the best looking from the back catalogue, not the intended market sector that's for sure..

It already seems to be heading for a better write up from the (admittedly awful) MCN than the Bellagio (which they thought was dubiously styled) and the Stelvio (which they thought didn't compare to the class benchmark, the GS), so good on Guzzi! (assuming price IS near the Triumph,ahem)...

That's a good write up, Davey, exactly the same what I think. I'm quite confident the bike will sell as good as they expect. This 750 small block runs so smooth, no valve tickering, really elegant I'd say. This and its in fact pretty styling will find its market. Maybe not on this forum, but who knows. Besides that, have you ever heard a Breva 750 equipped with the typical italian aftermarket exhaust? At least 75 php!

Hubert

It already seems to be heading for a better write up from the (admittedly awful) MCN than the Bellagio (which they thought was dubiously styled) and the Stelvio (which they thought didn't compare to the class benchmark, the GS), so good on Guzzi! (assuming price IS near the Triumph,ahem)...

The review in the current MCN is glowingly positive. Rates the Classic highly and way better than Triumph Bonneville.

The review in the current MCN is glowingly positive. Rates the Classic highly and way better than Triumph Bonneville.

We will get a similar review next weekend in MOTORRAD. They'll review naked bikes, so not only the Bonneville will be compared to it, also the Honda 1300 and other "things" of this kind will be part of the comparison.

Hubert

Pretty much. Only problem is the scarcity of the 1000s and the fact that the collectors have all run their prices up because of their scarcity & good looks.

As people have been saying for years, "Guzzi, release an updated 1000s and laugh your way to the bank!" But do they listen? No.... :huh2:

Man, that would be a winner I think! I'm over there in Sept, I'll mention it to the boss!

Steve

I don't think Piaggio are clueless, I don't want one, but I'm not the target audience, probably none of us are...

A drive through the lovely sunfilled cotswolds this afternoon and apart from a load of japanese sportsbikes, the only bike I saw more than one of was the Hinckley Bonnevilles, and I saw about 4 of 'em.

Now I own a box stock '68 US spec bonneville and a stripped down '74 750 Bonneville, and I HATE the ersatz hinckley version, with it's bloated weight and ugly angles, but I'm in the minority <_ . triumph have succesfully tapped into the zeitgeist for retro and convinced a largely uninformed buying public that these bikes are cool. there is absolutely no linkage with original much of derivative styling badly done tenuous buyers don care. in u.s most distinguish between meriden hinkley products like they do uk also so this now their best selling us bike.>

Soo, Guzzi (Piaggio) can either tap into the retro market with a lovely big blocked snorting 1200 sport engined beauty :wub: , and it will cost more than the Ducati Sportclassics and sell even worse. Dunno about US, but in UK they can't give them away, possibly due to stupid riding position for intended 40 something market on the Sports, and slightly dowdy image of the GT? Very low mileage used ones are readily available around 5000 quid and still not selling. Using the 850 griso engine won't save much as frame etc would also need to be from similar source..

Or, they can utilise existing sound if timid Nevada/Breva 750 running gear, and minimal re-engineering costs, and turn out a viable bonnie alternative for the Newbie/re-born market who don't care if it's only 40 odd horsepower (the bonnies are 50 odd bhp but weigh 100lbs more, go figure), as long as it's competent and PRETTY! Twin shocks is actually an advantage in this sector! So who cares if it's a V7 sport derivative, if that's the best looking from the back catalogue, not the intended market sector that's for sure..

I agree very much with your views on the Hinckley Triumphs, and their apparent [not] lineage with the Meriden or Coventry Triumphs. We may be in the minority in this matter. I've never been able to call the John Bloor bikes anything but Hinckley Triumphs. I will give a slight nod of approval to the new Thruxton, a vast improvement visually over the frumpy bloated new Bonny, and a slight boost in power.

The new V7 is nice looking, and will look much better the minute the new owner gets a bit lower bars on there, and bar end mirrors, and rips off those CAT equipped pipes and hang some Contis off the back.

I also think a retro bodywork onto the Breva platform would be easy, and a modern/retro version of a 1000S would be a brilliant seller, without hurting other sales.

Steve

Man, that would be a winner I think! I'm over there in Sept, I'll mention it to the boss!

Steve

Doubt it would do much good; I think the fine folks at Piaggio have a bit of an "NIH" attitude when it comes to their executive decisions. Good luck; we'll all benefit if they start listening to us (their market)! ;)

So who cares if it's a V7 sport derivative, if that's the best looking from the back catalogue, not the intended market sector that's for sure..

I think you will find that it's the V7 special not the sport