Moto Spezial Deep V Sump

jtucker

I sent an email to MG Cycle asking about the MS deep sump for my bike. Specifically, I asked about the sidestand mounting situation. Their response just said that it will not work with my model bike.

So... does that mean that mean that the sidestand won't work, or that the deep V sump as a whole won't work. I'm confused, because I was pretty sure people were using these things, no?

__Jason

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent an email to MG Cycle asking about the MS deep sump for my bike. Specifically, I asked about the sidestand mounting situation. Their response just said that it will not work with my model bike.

So... does that mean that mean that the sidestand won't work, or that the deep V sump as a whole won't work. I'm confused, because I was pretty sure people were using these things, no?

__Jason

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work as all the oil galleries etc. are the same on all the cases from the time the sump was designed in the 80's through to the V11's. There is the sidestand issue, I can't think whether the stand bolts to something on the spacer of the broad sump? I suspect it does and that might be the problem but re-locating the stand shouldn't be that much of an issue. As I've mentioned elsewhere the greatest problem in my book is the loss of the oil cooler.

Pete

The only thing I can think of is that MG Cycle is claiming it won't work because they're afraid that it if I get it, I'll come back bitching about the sidestand, oil cooler, etc, etc, and they don't want to deal with a potential pissed off customer.

__Jason

The only thing I can think of is that MG Cycle is claiming it won't work because they're afraid that it if I get it, I'll come back bitching about the sidestand, oil cooler, etc, etc, and they don't want to deal with a potential pissed off customer.

__Jason

No in a very German way they have told you the answer to exactly what you have asked. If you had asked what you need to do to get the deep V to fit that would be a different matter IMO.

No in a very German way they have told you the answer to exactly what you have asked. If you had asked what you need to do to get the deep V to fit that would be a different matter IMO.

Hmmm... except that it was not a German shop :P

Really, all I asked them was to confirm that my stock sidestand would not work with the deep sump. Their response was that the sump would not work.

I should probably just handle this the old fashioned way and pick up the telephone. Or, I could just order it anyway and deal with the consequences.

__Jason

BTW, thanks Jaap - you're sidestand info is exactly what I was looking for. Followup question, though - do I *only* need the bracket from a Sport 1100, or are there any other doo-dads that need to go along with it?

__Jason

OK... I gave them a call. The fellow I spoke to seemed to confirm my suspicion - the sump doesn't "officially" support the V11 Sport, due to the issues that we're already familiar with (oil cooler loss, sidestand bracket). However, there seems to be a bigger issue - they don't have them in stock, and don't know when (or if) they will get any more in.

Soooo... anyone know of a shop that has the deep-V sump sitting on a shelf?

__Jason

OK... I gave them a call. The fellow I spoke to seemed to confirm my suspicion - the sump doesn't "officially" support the V11 Sport, due to the issues that we're already familiar with (oil cooler loss, sidestand bracket). However, there seems to be a bigger issue - they don't have them in stock, and don't know when (or if) they will get any more in.

Soooo... anyone know of a shop that has the deep-V sump sitting on a shelf?

__Jason

Hey Jason,

I made the same inquiry with MG cycle about a year ago and got the same response. Looks like they still catalog them but no longer sell them.

Good luck finding one.

Hey Jason,

I made the same inquiry with MG cycle about a year ago and got the same response. Looks like they still catalog them but no longer sell them.

Good luck finding one.

The indication I'm getting is that Moto Speziale is possibly no longer producing parts at all. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

__Jason

The indication I'm getting is that Moto Speziale is possibly no longer producing parts at all. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

__Jason

I take it you are talking about an American shop or do you mean this one?

www.moto-spezial.de/deutsch/index.moto

The cost would be quite big with shipping and customs i suppose.

On the other hand ,just a wild guess,

is n't Pete Ropers sloppage sheet (or what ever it's called)supposed to help the oilsupply needed during acceleration,and keep the oil where it needs to be.

I mean,i know a guy in Sweden with a Daytona RS ,heavily modified with the Dynotec 1200 cc and cam ,supposed to make 130hp.He does n't use the deep sump,but was advised to just put in an additional 0,75 L of oil or something which is supposed to work according to Dynotec.If the extra amount of oil is used with Pet Ropers sheet ,wouldn't that work? I could be way off base here though.

Anders

I haven't ruled out Pete's windage plate, and in fact it may be my only option if nobody is selling the sumps. I would prefer the deep V sump, however, because I actually would like to remove the oil cooler.

__Jason

I would prefer the deep V sump, however, because I actually would like to remove the oil cooler.

__Jason

Why????

If you want to dump the cooler, for whatever reason, that's simple. You can either remove it and put in a loop pipe between the inlet and outlet or with a bit more frigging about you can probably gut the thermostat system so that the oil just circulates through the primary circuit.

Once again though? Why would you want to dump the cooler?

Pete

Aesthetics, mainly.

The deep sump seems to have *much* more surface area than the stock sump, with its own cooling fins and the external filter. I have no doubt that it sheds heat better than the stock pan. I would, however, keep a temperature gauge on it just to be sure.

All this is moot, however, if I can't get my hands on the deep sump.

__Jason

Aesthetics, mainly.

The deep sump seems to have *much* more surface area than the stock sump, with its own cooling fins and the external filter. I have no doubt that it sheds heat better than the stock pan. I would, however, keep a temperature gauge on it just to be sure.

All this is moot, however, if I can't get my hands on the deep sump.

__Jason

Ah. Aesthetics have never been my strong suit. If you'd ever met me you'd understand why. There are few people as ugly as me so anyone who meets me is so goggle eyed with horror looking at the sight I could have the most beautiful motorbike in the world and nobody would notice, even if they were retching on it!

As I said in a previous post the main thing I worry about in removing the cooler is not that the engine will get too hot but that it will have a tendency to run too cold, especially in the wet. If you don't ride in the wet very often, or hard, this won't be a concern. Do remember though that the deep sump was designed to address a completely different set of engineering problems on a similar, but different, engine thirty years ago. It'll fit on the V11 donk one way or another, that's not the issue, and there are lots of people, Jaap among them, who have them on V11's but I still maintain they are not the best sollution to the inherent problems of the V11 sump design.

Pete