Moto Spezial Deep V Sump

jtucker

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to blow the dust off this thread for a moment...

I've been trying track one of these deep sumps down off and on for a few years now. But, I finally found one! Just arrived today from Teo Lamers :food:

a12166-1-7.jpg

Their site is showing 3 more in stock, so if anyone is interested: http://www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/detail.html?aid=12166

I haven't laid eyes on it yet, but I just got an email from my mechanic who says it was delivered today. I had it sent to him because I might miss the package otherwise. Can't wait to lay hands on it... finally! :lol:

__Jason

I have one in stock at Moto Intl., too.

I'm curious about something... this new sump is stamped with the name "RR Racing". Is anyone familiar with the company that makes it? Did they perhaps take over production from Moto Spezial? Just wondering.

As a side note, I haven't been able to mount this one just yet. Still trying to work out how I want to go about connecting the breather return line, as this sump is tapped for an M20x1.5 connection rather than the stock M16.

__Jason

I'm curious about something... this new sump is stamped with the name "RR Racing". Is anyone familiar with the company that makes it? Did they perhaps take over production from Moto Spezial? Just wondering.

As a side note, I haven't been able to mount this one just yet. Still trying to work out how I want to go about connecting the breather return line, as this sump is tapped for an M20x1.5 connection rather than the stock M16.

__Jason

:rolleyes:

__Jason

well go to a hydraulics shop, there are conversion rings to put in between. Or get one made by someome

rr racing could be a german firm

http://www.reichert-racing.de/shop/

they are new

Thanks Paul - yes, I'm planning to have the piece I need made up. I've seen various solutions to this - some here on the forum... I don't think I'll have a problem with it... just need some time to do it.

__Jason

Ah. Aesthetics have never been my strong suit. If you'd ever met me you'd understand why. There are few people as ugly as me so anyone who meets me is so goggle eyed with horror looking at the sight I could have the most beautiful motorbike in the world and nobody would notice, even if they were retching on it!

As I said in a previous post the main thing I worry about in removing the cooler is not that the engine will get too hot but that it will have a tendency to run too cold, especially in the wet. If you don't ride in the wet very often, or hard, this won't be a concern. Do remember though that the deep sump was designed to address a completely different set of engineering problems on a similar, but different, engine thirty years ago. It'll fit on the V11 donk one way or another, that's not the issue, and there are lots of people, Jaap among them, who have them on V11's but I still maintain they are not the best sollution to the inherent problems of the V11 sump design.

Pete

Hi. I've heard quite a bit about the oil starvation problems on the V11. Mine is a 2001 model and I'm wondering how bad a problem is it? I do not wring the bikes neck and generally stick to 85-90mph on the M/way. As advised by a main dealer I keep the oil level topped well up, (to the mark with dipstick NOT screwed in). Is it a thrashers problem, or a more general problem that will inevitably kill my engine? Mick.

Guest ratchethack

Mick, having installed two Roper plates (my own and assisting a friend with his '04 LM), it depends on how you ride as to "how bad a problem" it is. My friend is partial to hard launches and frequent lofting of the front wheel. I had often noticed his low oil pressure light coming on from starting out behind him. He'd never paid any attention. After working on him for a year, he finally came around to the idea that he couldn't (wouldn't, really) change his riding habits and that I might be on to something with my assertion that a torched crank was simply a matter of when -- not if. :(

If you ride conservatively, pay attention to oil level, keep it up as your dealer advises, and NEVER see the oil press light come on when launching from a stop, IMHO the probabilities are pretty good that you will never have a reason for any concern wotsoever.

I put one in mine because I'm occasionally partial to hard launches. Prior to the plate, I was able to make the oil press light come on with a medium-hard launch with oil level at the high mark, and I found myself backing off much of the time not wanting to see the oil press light. (By the time it comes on, damage has already been done. :o ) Maintaining the level higher than that, without the plate I would get oil in the airbox after "inspired" riding. After installing the plate, I can't make the light come on regardless of how hard I launch. Ditto my friend. By keeping the oil mass around the crank to a lower volume at high RPMs, it also allows maintainence of an oil level well over the high mark on the dipstick without concern of blowing excess out through the breather and condensor, even at extended high RPMs. In the event of low oil level (hasn't happened yet, except by deliberate test) it also allows confidence that the oil pickup in the sump will not be exposed. In other words, since my Guzzi doesn't use appreciable oil between changes, I really no longer have to check a-tall with the Roper plate in there. Of course I do anyway, just as a sanity check. ;)

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Mick, having installed two Roper plates (my own and assisting a friend with his '04 LM), it depends on how you ride as to "how bad a problem" it is. My friend is partial to hard launches and frequent lofting of the front wheel. I had often noticed his low oil pressure light coming on from starting out behind him. He'd never paid any attention. After working on him for a year, he finally came around to the idea that he couldn't (wouldn't, really) change his riding habits and that I might be on to something with my assertion that a torched crank was simply a matter of when -- not if. :(

If you ride conservatively, pay attention to oil level, keep it up as your dealer advises, and NEVER see the oil press light come on when launching from a stop, the probabilities are pretty good that you will never have a reason for any concern.

I put one in mine because I'm occasionally partial to hard launches. Prior to the plate, I was able to make the oil press light come on with a medium-hard launch with oil level at the high mark. Maintaining the level higher than that, I would get oil in the airbox after "inspired" riding. After installing the plate, I can't make the light come on regardless of how hard I launch. Ditto my friend. It also allows maintainence of an oil level well over the high mark on the dipstick without concern of blowing excess out through the breather and condensor, even at extended high RPMs. In the event of low oil level (hasn't happened yet, except by deliberate test) it also allows confidence that the oil pickup in the sump will not be exposed. In other words, since my Guzzi doesn't use appreciable oil between changes, I really no longer have to check a-tall with the Roper plate in there. Of course I do anyway, just as a sanity check. ;)

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Cheers for the quick reply. I'm not into skying the front end and to be honest my hard acceleration tends to be from a rolling start, ie overtaking, merging with traffic etc. I'll be watching the light for a while I think. The Roper baffle plate sounds like good kit though and a damn site cheaper than a toasted bottom end. Might have to see how much one is in £ sterling including postage etc. Mick.

• 7 years later...

Reviving this old thread, I just "discovered" the beautiful "Deep V Sump" and I am curious: would it work in tandem with the Roper Plate? Any reason why it shouldn't?

Great... Looking at the diagrams, it appears as though a lot of junk gets removed if you install this sump. The oil cooler is gone, but also looks like the "oil filter support" on the inside would have to go too. Part number 01003801, which the filter threads on to, and it looks like it also sends oil out and then back in to/from the oil cooler. Is that correct?

I'm guessing this results in quite a few pounds of metal that would be excised from the machine... More oil capacity, better cooling, simpler innards, an oil-level sight glass, and a net weight loss. What's not to like?

One thing, your lower sidestand bolts wont have anywhere to bolt to. The other is if you still want to run the oil cooler then you need quite a messy oil filter adaptor plate, custom lines and run the stubby short filter. Forget about running a lower chin spoiler also if thats something you like.

Ciao