I apologize for DeBenGuzzi

the last famous movie star gov was Irish American also liked playing next to monkeys Ronnie Ragan

Of course ALL the Presidents ARE Irish. Bill Clinton came here to examine his roots. Carter. Bush probably claims it too :huh2:

But I was thinking more of Davy Crockett and the like. The Original Pioneers basically (and of course big-time in the Appalachians and Ozarks. However, I don't know what happened bout Cal i forn i ay. I'm sure it's not our fault. Let's just say it was the Dutch, and leave it at that)

Oh, here's some blurb, picked at random:–

"Northern Ireland has a unique relationship with the United States as being the cradle of the Scotch Irish, the pioneers and frontiersmen of early American life.

The part played by these settlers. descendants of low land Scots who had settled in the north of Ireland two hundred years earlier (hence the name Scotch Irish. has tended to be overshadowed by the tremendous 19th century emigration from other parts of Ireland to the United States. Yet the earlier Scotch Irish movement, small though it was by comparison and different in character, made an impact that was without parallel in early American history. From the Scotch Irish (or Ulster Scots as they are called in the British Isles) have been drawn more than a quarter of all the Presidents of the United States including the only three first generation Americans to achieve this office as well as State Governors, generals, writers, administrators, churchmen and teachers. Several signatories of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were Scotch Irishmen from Ulster.

In the early seventeenth century Ulster was settled by people from Britain In what is usually referred to as "the Plantation of Ulster." These people came mainly from the Scottish Lowlands By the end of the century there were over 100,000 Scots and 25,000 English in the Province. From these people emerged a new strain of Ulstermen the "Ulster Scots" or the "Scotch Irish"

During the years 1717 to 1770 over 250,00 Ulstermen left home with their families to settle in America. There was a constant flow of people crossing the Atlantic from Ulster a flow which at frequent intervals became a torrent. These people did not emigrate solely of their own free will but rather for social and economic reasons.

In the year 1718 five ships sailed from Ulster to America and one group of emigrants founded and settled the township of New Londonderry in New Hampshire.

Their educational standards were very high for people of their station in the early 18th century. They were mostly small farmers and labourers who had been living in a comparatively remote province of the United Kingdom.

Ulstermen moved to the New World in such numbers that they became the most important element in the colonial population of America after the English. By the time the United States became independent one American in five was of Scotch Irish, i.e., Ulster stock.

Ideally suited for the new life by reason of their experience as pioneers in Ulster, their qualities of character and their Ulster Scottish background, they made a unique contribution to the land of their adoption. They became the frontiersmen of colonial America, clearing the forests to make their farms and, as one would expect, they had the defects as well as the qualities of pioneers. President Theodore Roosevelt described them us "a grim, stern people, strong and powerful for good and evil, swayed by gusts of stormy passion, the love of freedom rooted in their very hearts' core..." They suffered terrible injuries at the hands of the red men, and on their foes they waged terrible warfare in return. They were also upright, resolute, fearless, and loyal to their friends, devoted to their country. In spite of their many failings, they were of all men the best fitted to conquer the wilderness and hold it against all comers."

They took with them into the wilderness their love of religion and learning, building churches and schools as they established each new settlement or fort. The primitive centres of further learning such as the Log College of Neshaminy in Pennsylvania which they early established achieved a notable reputation as "mothers" of new colleges, their graduates taking the lead in founding new institutions and providing the first presidents who gave them their character. Indeed it was in the field of education that the Scotch Irish made one of their most important contributions to American life.

THE SCOTCH IRISH AND THE WHITE HOUSE

Estimates of the number of Presidents of the United States of Scotch Irish origins vary, depending on the degree of relationship on which the claim is based. For the purposes of their search for ancestral homesteads the Ulster Scot Historical Foundation accepted only those of direct Scotch Irish descent. Even limited in this way the number amounts to eleven; a notable proportion when related to the very small group from which they sprang. They are Andrew Jackson, James Knox Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Simpson Grant, Chester Alan Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson.

This list becomes all the more impressive when it is realized that three of the ten, Presidents Jackson, Buchanan and Arthur, were first generation Americans, i.e., Presidents whose fathers were born in Ulster. The United States Constitution lays it down that the President must be American born. In the long history of the United States these are the only three first generation Americans to achieve this high office. Andrew Jackson has left it on record that he only just made it since he was born soon after the ship in which his parents sailed from Ulster reached harbour in America. Three other Presidents, John Adams, James Monroe, and John Quincy Adams are reputed to have family links with Ulster. A further two presidents Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower claimed to have "Scotch Irish" blood in their veins.

THE SCOTCH IRISH AND THE REVOLUTION

The Scotch Irish were the servants and soldiers of the Revolution. President McKinley wrote of them that "they were the first to proclaim for freedom in these United States." President Theodore Roosevelt described them as "the men who before any other declared for American independence."

Ulster scots... scotch Irish... ohhhh there is so much room for some good old fashioned slagging here, but I can't, it's too damn political!

Ps, I presume BFG, while you are referring to "ulster", you were also including Monaghan, louth and donegal, which ,um ,last I checked, were, ah, still in the republic(!).

Next you'll be saying all six british field marshals from WW2 claimed to be from ulster.

Um, no, wait a minute....

disclaimer:

I wasn't "flying off the handle"

I just like Ca. and every other state I've been to

and the people I've met.

I just needed an excuse to close it before it got out of hand, you didn't really fly off the handle but you seemed offended. no worries.

Next you'll be saying all six british field marshals from WW2 claimed to be from ulster.

Um, no, wait a minute....

:lol:;)

BTW, the Queen and them'ns aren't from Ulster.

She's from.....

The Bush's claim to be from outside Falkirk in Scotland, what shame on our nation, apparently his relations were thrown out of Scotland for being too presbiterian, thats even more rightwing than rightwing

see, told you someone would go off the preverbial handle, This relates to the rebel scum thread that was closed and the general political pissing that seems to all come from California.

topic closed.

I have nothing to apologize for.

And being of some Scottish ancestory, I will not apologize for Scotland!

In the immortal words of that Australian-American racist Hollywood, California, celluloid hero playing a Scottish hero in the movie Braveheart:

William: Ay, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom. :angry: