Gear box problem

Mario

On the tacho there is a point at which there is a yellow area, (7,500?) followed by a red area at 8,000 or so. I should remember this seeing as I've been riding one of the poxy things for two weeks but I can't because I rarely look at either of the clocks :lol:

Thing is the 'Yellow line' is the gear shift indicator. No, obviously you won't want to sit in traffic in 2nd gear at 6000 unless you are a cretin but if you want to make fairly rapid progress out on the open road that is where you change gears. Holding it for long periods in the yellow zone isn't particularly wise and it is best to avoid the red zone all together but odd excursions there for a second or two will do no harm.

If you want a Harley? Buy a Harley! The Guzzi big block, even in it's earlier itterations was never meant to be plonked about at wide throttle openings at lower RPMs.

While I've been in the US riding the Scura I've done plenty of pottering about in the LA hills and mot of the time the engine was kept between 3,000 and 5,000. Out in the hills and sweepers of New Mexico it got a much beefier workout, despite the heat. Great fun, even if I did fall off and try to fling it down a ravine. You get that if you ride hard to have fun :D:D:D

Pete

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people may need to relax a bit. I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should not rev your Guzzi over 3k rpms. But for cruising down the road at a steady state there is nothing wrong with spinning the motor at 2-3k rpm. To imply that you should always keep the motor above 4k or that it gets better fuel mileage between 4500 and 5k is a bit misleading to say the least. And all things are relative. A guzzi is a revver compared to a Harley but not compared to most other bikes. And power falls off on the 2 valve motors by 7k. The meat of the power is not at redline but in the midrange. Being able to walk from an R-1 in roll on acceleration without downshifting is fun.

I think some people may need to relax a bit. I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should not rev your Guzzi over 3k rpms. But for cruising down the road at a steady state there is nothing wrong with spinning the motor at 2-3k rpm. To imply that you should always keep the motor above 4k or that it gets better fuel mileage between 4500 and 5k is a bit misleading to say the least. And all things are relative. A guzzi is a revver compared to a Harley but not compared to most other bikes. And power falls off on the 2 valve motors by 7k. The meat of the power is not at redline but in the midrange. Being able to walk from an R-1 in roll on acceleration without downshifting is fun.

It is not an implication, but a fact, that my Nero Corsa returns a couple mpg MORE at 4500 in sixth than it does at 4000 in sixth.

I don't know where you live, but in the mountains where I live, cruising down the road at 2000 rpm in sixth gear with my 230 lbs aboard would be, as Hack says, Guzzi abuse.

What is that? Something like 40 mph in sixth at 2000 rpm ???

Sorry. The V11 powerplant has NO POWER at 2000 rpm. Cruising around in top gear at 2000 rpm is nothing, if not foolish...

But hey, ride your ride... :bike:

I really don't get it.

Why the argument? It seems to me some people either don't fully read, or wilfully misunderstand posts that don't immediately appear to support their own viewpoint/prejudice. To say you run high gears at low revs is not the same as saying you think "3K RPM and below is an adequate place to accelerate from in a high gear!" nor that you never use the higher rev range.

Look, theres nothing wrong with running a Guzzi at ANY REVS YOU LIKE so long as you DON'T LOAD IT WITH HEAVY THROTTLE AT LOW REVS IN HIGH GEAR. I spend a lot of time running around below 5k & it suits the motor fine. I also frequently rev the nuts off it which mostly also suits it fine. To say one or the other method is the "right" one is surely missing half the personality of the Guzzi. I DON'T LUG IT. THAT is the only issue.

Anyone with any understanding or sensitivity will know when the bike is unhappy. If you don't have that sense or are unwilling to develop it, you'd probably be better off riding somethin else - like the bus.

KB :sun:

Guest ratchethack
I really don't get it.

Why the argument? It seems to me some people either don't fully read, or wilfully misunderstand posts that don't immediately appear to support their own viewpoint/prejudice. To say you run high gears at low revs is not the same as saying you think "3K RPM and below is an adequate place to accelerate from in a high gear!" nor that you never use the higher rev range.

Hm. I fully understand that plain spoken, unvarnished truth is offensive to many people -- but understanding that there are such people and understanding why there are such people (who would otherwise seem to be worthy of the benefit of the doubt, and at least should know better) are two different things. This would be the part I really don't get. It doesn't exactly fit together very well for Yours Truly. One might say that I find this in itself infinitely more offensive. :whistle:

Unless I missed it, no one here said running high gears at low revs is the same as saying, "3K RPM and below is an adequate place to accelerate from in a high gear!" :huh2:

Why the argument indeed. . . :huh2: Lemee see if I can shine some light into all the apparent (and completely unnecessary) darkness and confusion here.

What part of the following had you missed in your reading and/or had you wilfully [sic] misunderstood, then?

Sometimes I just ride in the 6th with 2000-3000 rpm. Now that Im thinking about it, I hardly get above 5000 rpm in any gear. :homer:

Now could somebody please explain how it is that certain individual(s) seem to've taken such offense at anything that has been said in response to this? Certainly none was intended, and evidently the author took none himself.

Ummm. . . that is, unless of course, there are someone(s) who believe their own ox is being gored here?!?!?! ;)

Other than the moped exaggeration, and that was made previous to the above (that was a bit of a stretch alright. It was chosen to make a point), if there've been any mischaracterizations of reality or distortions of any kind on my part here, would the someone or someone(s) who seem to've been particularly offended here be kind enough to point out exactly where these untruths appear?

Enquiring minds. . . (well, you know) :huh2:

EDIT: Here's a sentiment that just crossed my path that seems to fit quite well, I think: :lol:

"If we don't come down hard on these clowns, we are going to be up to our balls in jugglers."

-Tom Weaver, N.W.A., Sandford, Gloucestershire

Oh jeeez......Let me pile on here :)

3K RPM in 6th?

Not the proper care and feeding of a V11. Kinda off the general feel and fun too.

I only get into 6th hunkering down to drain a tank on the 4 lane. I get over 40mpg (my best)

in 6th 4.3K / 80mph. She's just walking. I love her for that. One of the thousand reasons to grin.

Day tripping, playing on the back roads I might drop below 4K once in a while

then again I might chug through a town, past a police station, in a lower gear @ 3K.

Below 4th gear she'll happily pull with normal throttle opening from 3K.

Mostly it wants to be above 4K. with lots of zips up to 6K and more.

I believe your whining tranny was trying to tell you something.

"Whip me, beat me, put on the spurs, get out the whip!"

Hey...A V11 is just that kinda woman. :)

She's a hot blooded Italian. She wants some excitement in her life. :)

I suggest a few trips to redline......blow some of that carbon out. :):mg:

Don't worry. You haven't hurt anything. Just diminished her spirit a little.

Ride it like ya stole it.

Hm. I fully understand that plain spoken, unvarnished truth is offensive to many people -- but understanding that there are such people and understanding why there are such people are two different things. This would be the part I really don't get. It doesn't exactly fit together very well for Yours Truly. One might say that I find this in itself infinitely more offensive.

Unless I missed it, no one here said running high gears at low revs is the same as saying, "3K RPM and below is an adequate place to accelerate from in a high gear!" :huh2:

Why the argument indeed. . . Lemee see if I can shine some light into the sudden, amazing appearance of all the apparent darkness and confusion here.

What part of the following had you missed in your reading and/or had you wilfully [sic] misunderstood, then?

Now could somebody please explain how it is that certain individual(s) seem to've taken such offense at anything that has been said in response to this? Certainly none was intended, and evidently the author took no offense himself.

Ummm. . . that is, unless of course, there are someone(s) who believe their own ox is being gored here?!?!?! ;)

Other than the moped exaggeration, and that was made previous to the above (that was a bit of a stretch alright. It was chosen to make a point), if there've been any mischaracterizations of reality or distortions of any kind on my part here, would the someone or someone(s) who seem to've been particularly offended here be kind enough to point out exactly where these untruths appear?

Enquiring minds. . . (well, you know)

EDIT: Here's a sentiment that just crossed my path that seems to fit quite well, I think:

"If we don't come down hard on these clowns, we are going to be up to our balls in jugglers."

-Tom Weaver, N.W.A., Sandford, Gloucestershire

I've drove about 1200km, have the bike for about a month and it's my first bike. So, I don't feel offended at all, I just didn't knew. Learning all the time. And the bore x stroke, mentioned earlier compared to Harley's explained it all.

It's just I didn't feel like I was hurting the bike in 6th at low revs I was just cruising at low speeds and trying to avoid these fkn bastards :

20070610_flitspaal.jpg

Oh jeeez......Let me pile on here :)

3K RPM in 6th?

Not the proper care and feeding of a V11. Kinda off the general feel and fun too.

I only get into 6th hunkering down to drain a tank on the 4 lane. I get over 40mpg (my best)

in 6th 4.3K / 80mph. She's just walking. I love her for that. One of the thousand reasons to grin.

Day tripping, playing on the back roads I might drop below 4K once in a while

then again I might chug through a town, past a police station, in a lower gear @ 3K.

Below 4th gear she'll happily pull with normal throttle opening from 3K.

Mostly it wants to be above 4K. with lots of zips up to 6K and more.

I believe your whining tranny was trying to tell you something.

"Whip me, beat me, put on the spurs, get out the whip!"

Hey...A V11 is just that kinda woman. :)

She's a hot blooded Italian. She wants some excitement in her life. :)

I suggest a few trips to redline......blow some of that carbon out. :):mg:

Don't worry. You haven't hurt anything. Just diminished her spirit a little.

Ride it like ya stole it.

I'll do just that.

Thx for input,

Godspeed!

Guest ratchethack
Thx for input,

Godspeed!

Por nada, mi compadre. ;)

Say Dabore. Not that I'm suggesting anything here, you understand. . . B)

. . .trying to avoid these fkn bastards. . .

But what if certain of the more err, shall we say intrepid locals in your neighborhood :cheese::nl: were to begin carrying grocery sacks with them, for the purpose of discreetly stopping to "veil" the eyes of Big Brother under cover of darkness -- on a regular basis?? :unsure:

Just a thought, and unless I miss my guess, mine wouldn't be the first (nor the last). . . :whistle:

When I started the whole discussion, I didn´t know I stuck my head in a snakes pit.....

I just wanted to know if there is a common problem with the gear box.....as I understand all the readers, it sounds that it is not. Good so, then probably its only my gear box that have a problem.

Many readers suggest that I should drive it harder and not spend my time around 3000 rpm. Belive me, I regularly drive it very hard and even up to 8600 rpm where it pulls into the rev limiter. It pulls strong from the low rpms all the way up, a fantastic motor!!!

But even so, I sometimes ride it around 3000 rpm in the sixth. I don´t feel that the motor then is lugging or makes any protests (besides the whining that is) but then again this loud whining has started recently and its only in the sixth gear.

To me it suggests that it must be some kind of bearing connected to the sixht gear? I also have a Cafe Sport -04 which doesnt sound that way in the gear box.

SuperMario

Guest ratchethack

Mario, like any other Forum I'm aware of, there seem to be a few grumpy old birds with chips on their shoulders hanging around here, itching for chances to take pot-shots. Some would no doubt put me in as the worst of 'em all, and maybe they'd be right. In any case, threads will continue to be hijacked as always -- and equally just as always, people will get their problems solved. ;)

Please accept my apologies for indulging in the frivolities above. Sometimes I just can't help meself. :P

I've been trying my best to help, my friend. ;)

A gearbox main or layshaft bearing on its way out will tend to rumble first, and then vibrate quite a bit. A whine in one gear that's much more pronounced than the other gears (as you describe), indicates a gearset heading South, as I've previously noted. Have you looked at the magnet on the g'box drain plug, as I suggested?

Mario, like any other Forum I'm aware of, there seem to be a few grumpy old birds with chips on their shoulders hanging around here, itching for chances to take pot-shots. Some would put me in as the worst of 'em all, and maybe they'd be right. In any case, threads will continue to be hijacked as always -- and equally just as always, people will get their problems solved. ;)

Please accept my apologies for indulging in the frivolities above. Sometimes I just can't help meself. :P

I've been trying my best to help, my friend. ;)

A gearbox main or layshaft bearing on its way out will tend to rumble first, and then vibrate quite a bit. A whine in one gear that's much more pronounced than with the other gears (as you describe), indicates a gearset heading South, as I've previously noted. Have you looked at the magnet on the trans drain plug, as I suggested?

To Ratchethack

You really don´t need to apologise. I always read the comments on this forum with a smile on my lips. I like when people are a little, little mean - but with a humoristic touch to it - well thats anyway how I understand the comments on this forum.

I have read a lot of your comments and It always amuses me and also it sounds that you know what you are talking about.

That said I can confess that maybe I drive my V11:s sometimes with a low rpm, but after reading the comments here I have made an effort to change for the "better". But I just love how the engine rumbles around the 3000 rpm. Lower than that I don´t go because i feel that it doesn´t go that well. I must also say that there is a big difference between my 02/03 Lemans without cat and my Cafe Sport 04 with cat. The Cafe Sport doesnt like the low rpms like the Lemans engine.

So you think its the gearset? No, I haven´t looked at the drain plug because I still have warranty (until sep-2008) so I am going to complain to my dealer about it. Then when he`s gonna say "no its no problem, it should sound like that" Im gonna tell him, have you checked the gearset.....

SuperMario

Today I got my first speeding ticket. It's because you all told me to drive above 4000 rpm, what I did. It's totally different and much better. Also hit the red line once :D

About the ticket. I drove 100mph were 60 was allowed. :mg: I was pulled over by cop on a beemer.

I was lucky to keep my license and he found my bike very beautiful B) After all the corrections I drove officially 24 mph too fast.

He didn't know how much I would have to pay. Ill get the fine after summer holidays.

BTW I am expecting from all of you to chip in :P

congratulations B)

My license would be pulled for a while if I got caught riding that fast here. Much because of that, I usually ride at what I call "speed limit + VAT" which usually ends up just below where my license is in danger.

My license would be pulled for a while if I got caught riding that fast here.

Normally that would be the case here too. Everything over 50 kph too fast is instant driver's license confiscation. I think Dabore has been very lucky!