fathers worst nightmare

Van

Hi all!!

I have fallen off the face of the planet since before the Guzzi Nat'l in June and just wanted to check back in and make contact with all you guys out there. My son Tom my brother Mike and I had hooked up in San Fransisco and through one fiasco (like having way too much fun, fires etc) after another, got to the Guzzi Nat'l Rally just in time to witness the last event. We even missed the track day on friday (again having too much fun, this time in Venice Beach with Jeddi 1 and friend) and were on our way back to Canada (Sat. the 28th June ) going up the canyon on hwy 33 north of Ojai when Tom got hit by a Suburban that had cut the corner on one of the hairpins. I will spare the details but must thank Arai, Joe Rocket and all the emergency crew, helicopter air ambulance and mostly the Dr.'s and nurses at Ventura County Med. Centre for saving my son. After 3 weeks in ICU Tom was stable enough to be air lifted back to Vancouver General Hospital where his recovery is continuing to be nothing short of a miracle. Long term is still unknown as his injuries are so severe, but given time and all the love and care we can give him we hope to see him make a full recovery one day. I have been thinking of writting this for a long time now and haven't been able to bring myself to it until now, I really just wanted to say hi to my friends on the site and to remind you all that we all have loved ones out there, so be aware of them, give your wives and especially your kids that extra degree of love and attention that they deserve because the future can change so drastically in only 1 and a half seconds.. sigh, now I'm starting to sound maudlin and I really don't mean to. If you believe in prayer, meditation, white light, good vibes, or whatever positive, spare a thought to my son Tom and send him some of those good thoughts. I've learned that they do seem to have an amazing efect. Thanks for listening

Van

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Van,

Can you please pass on my hopes that he makes a speedy recovery. As a farther who regulary takes his children pillion it is as you say 'a farthers worst nightmare' that anything should happen. However, I take the view that, why should I spoil my childrens and my own enjoyment just because of something that might happen. One could spend an eternity trying to find comfort in words or verbal explanations. All I can say is that Tom will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Yours

The Foggster

I can't imagine what you've been going through,Van, but at least it sounds like there might be some light at the end of this particular tunnel.

Suffice to say the thoughts and prayers of all in this small part of Ireland are with you,

Fergal.

What a horrible thing to witness, but at least your internal "dadly editor" has to be giving you peace for being on hand to help your son in his time of need. Very, very, VERY happy to hear his recovery is going so well & looking like it will be complete! That's fabulous news, considering the outcomes of such incidents are usually much less positive.

Hope the rest of your summer is much more uplifting!

:bike:

My thoughts are with Tom, Van. What a terrible accident. I hope his recovery continues to be miraculous.

I imagine sharing motorcycling with your son has to be a wonderful experience. I hope you get to do it again someday.

Hi Van,

Life throws some pretty weird shite at us sometimes, and all I can say is, I wish your son all the courage he can muster, and with yourself, other family & friends backing him, he's going to be back to his 'ol self.

I know you've heard this before, but I have been where you are, , and it's no fun. I lost my brother to a bike crash a year ago, and I'm still waiting for him to ride up my road with a big grin, to go for a ride. To lose a brother and your best friend all in one, well, I'll never be the same really, a small bit of me is gone as well. So, grab your son, hug him, go do stuff with him, ride with him, anything, just treat time with your family as cherished time, because it is, very much.

Steve

Sorry to hear your news.

I hope Tom continues to make good progress towards a full recovery.

It is bad enough to hear of these events happening to your loved ones but to be present at the time must be truly awful. No doubt you dwell on self incrimination, but at least you were there to do what you could to help and be with him in his hour of need.

As others have said cherish those moments with your loved ones, but do not shirk from sharing those wonderful experiences, and stifle them as people by smothering them in bubble wrap. These moments are what makes us.

I hope that you and yours all come out of this well.

Very sorry to hear of Toms accident but glad to know he is on the mend. I ride with my son often and I have to confess I do think about his safety when he's out there riding, he is an excellent rider but its the others I worry about. We witnessed several of these types of crashes this summer at Deals Gap, cars (or bikes) coming accross the yellow on a tight corner and causing a bike to crash... truly terrible! I will pray for Toms speedy and complete recovery.

Hal