Battery Warnig Light

Tracey

My "02" V11 LeMans battery warnig light has been flickering lately. Now it's getting worse, stayes on a minuit or so at highway speed. I've read about 20 old threads and suspect the regulator. Voltage readings accross the battery are really high...

13.5 volts at idel speed and floating around 18-20 volts at 4,000 RPM. The 30 amp. fuse get hot quickly but has never blown, yet...

I just wanted confirmation that I'm on the right track before spending the money and wrench time, what say you?

:mg:

It does sound like a regulator problem but inspecting all the connections first is a good idea. Once you get this fixed I'd highly recommend installing a voltage monitor like one in the link below. I've got one installed on my LeMans and my Concours, it works great. I look at it as cheap insurance and way better than an idiot light. I mounted mine in the forward panel in the fairing with the module tucked underneath. All I see is the LED.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BOVOLT

Well Tracey, mine did the same thing until I put in that new battery. It doesnt do it anymore. Take your battery to Autozone to have it tested. I'm sure its fine to check all the other stuff to but I would do the easy thing first.

+1.... a dying battery can create very weird responses from the charging system.

Be certain to check for clean/tight ground points on the wiring harness.

It is a special order battery. I had two options. One was $140 & the other was $60. I got the $60 one & it works fine. The oem battery in my bike still started my bike just fine even though it was bad. My advice is to have your battery hooked up to the machine at an auto parts store to check it. I would think that all of the older v11 motorcycle oem batteries have to be either bad or very close to going bad by now.

P.S. the $60 battery was one that you have to add the electrolyte to it. So if you dont like that type then spend the extra money for the maintenance free one.