Suspension Update......

raceboy

Hello fellow Guzzists,

After a 4 day BLITZ of calling every contact I know both in Canada and the U.S. I've come up rather empty and disappointed with the news.

Ohlins has stopped producing aftermarket rear shocks for the V11 (and possible other older models). This happend about 3 or 4 years ago. I don't know about front forks, I'll inquire later. The stock shock I have is a Sachs and there does not seem to be a rebuilt kit available from Moto Guzzi or rebuild shops.

So it seems the current crop of available performance shocks are Wilbers from Germany, Hagon from Europe (I think U.K.) Bitubo from Italy which is a basic shock and Penske in the U.S. I'm sure there may be 1 or 2 more. If any of info is incorrect please jump in and correct me.

I think it's important that we stick together and help each other out in these trying and difficult times....therefore......

I talked Elka suspension (Quebec, Canada) and they have indicated to me that they would be willing to make a shock for the V11 if I can get 10 or more interested in a group purchase (one time). This will be a fully adjustable race level shock. I would be willing to donate my bike to Elka for fitting the shock and testing.

For all those that are interested contact me or I'll contact you via the V11 direct email. I'll get accuate pricing once I get a number of interested parties, of course the more people the cheaper it will be. The general pricing I was quoted is from 900 to 1200 this depends on option chosen...2-way, 3-way, and with or without remote Hydraulic preload adjuster. Billet machined, fully adjustable and rebuildable.

Check out the web site at ............. http://www.elkasuspension.com

pdf brochure to big to load up here.

Stand up and be counted.... :D

Cheers all,

John

I strongly support your efforts in this arena, but regrettably, do not have the money to throw at this at present. Good luck!

Great idea, wish I could be a part of the group buy but my Tenni came with a Penske. I must say the shock performs very well on the street and some limited track (not race) conditions. I don't know if you can get a group buy with Penske, and if the price is any better but its just a thought. Good luck.

I just ordered a Penske shock for the wifes V11 (the stocker cracked at the lower mount). I gotta say, the Penske is in the same price catagory as the Elka you are trying for and they have made a few already. No groups required. Just call them and tell them how much you weigh and how you ride. Michael Himmelsbach (the motorcycle guy there) is a nice straight up guy as well.

I love the way my Penske works on my 2000 V-11S.

Together with the Traxxion Dynamics reworked forks and springs it is a totally different bike.

:stupid:

My under US$800 two-way Penske with custom dimensions (69mm stroke) transformed the bike almost as much as the Ohlins forks did.

But I did have trouble getting them to send the correct bushings.

From reputation the Elka is a great shock, and if they had had a Guzzi option, I would have gone with them.

I had also considered the Wilbers and the HyperPro, but they did not offer as much travel.

You will probably want to make sure you can get at least 60mm of stroke.

I hope you can cut a deal with them.

Are those prices in Canadian Dollars?

If not, I would look to the Penske.

And there are other options like the Hagon and YSS.

:stupid:

My under US$800 two-way Penske with custom dimensions (69mm stroke) transformed the bike almost as much as the Ohlins forks did.

But I did have trouble getting them to send the correct bushings.

From reputation the Elka is a great shock, and if they had had a Guzzi option, I would have gone with them.

I had also considered the Wilbers and the HyperPro, but they did not offer as much travel.

You will probably want to make sure you can get at least 60mm of stroke.

I hope you can cut a deal with them.

Are those prices in Canadian Dollars?

If not, I would look to the Penske.

And there are other options like the Hagon and YSS.

The prices for the Elka are in Canadian $$$$$. There are a number of Canadian Pro racers using the Elka and seem to be happy with the performance.

I checked the YSS website, couldn't find anything for the V11.

Penske tells me they have two lenghts available for the V11. Which one is the correct lenght?????????

I also heard that a European Guzzi dealer bought up all the remaining Ohlins shocks and parts for the V11 about 3 or 4 yrs ago. Don't know what dealer it was. If anyone knows, please post on here.

Happy Trails,

Johnny

Which model of Penske would work on an 01 V11 Sport?

e.g.

PS-8970 Piggy Back

PS-8987 Piggy Back

PS-8983 Piggy Back

Thanks

Bob

I don't think there is room for the Piggy Back reservoir models.

I went with something similar to the 8983 with Remote reservoir.

It has six position 8100 series compression damping on a remote resevoir.

From what I can figure, the six clicks means I have an 8981 compared to the 16 or 20 clicks on an 8983, but I am not sure about that.

Mounting the reservoir was a little tricky. It mounts on rubber bushings against the starter.

Price was $715 US from http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/produ...?products_id=31 It is a little higher now.

Mine looks like an 8981 or 8983 with remote reservoir, but the rebound damping adjuster is different, which was necessary to get the extra travel..

It looks like the rebound adjuster at this web site:

http://www.howeracing.com/Suspension/Index-Penske.htm

So my model number appears to be PK812000 with adjustable shaft, but that is for cars, not motorcycles!?!?!?

Which model of Penske would work on an 01 V11 Sport?

e.g.

PS-8970 Piggy Back

PS-8987 Piggy Back

PS-8983 Piggy Back

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Penske told me that the 2 models available are the 8983 for $855.00 or the 8987 for $1195.00. Don't know if V11 will be able to work with a 'Piggy Back' style, I think we need to have remote reservoir.

John

I checked the YSS website, couldn't find anything for the V11.

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/YSS-Suspensions.html

I have heard good things about there twin shocks, but I don't know how their mono shocks are.

As for length of the Penske, it took me many emails before I found a shock where I was assured that the dimensions were what I wanted.

Wilbers through Guzzitech investigated, but could not give me the dimensions I wanted.

HyperPro through hyperprousa would not give me the dimensions I wanted.

Works was not helpful and would not give me the dimensions I wanted.

LE said they could not do Elka or WP, but they could do Penske or Ohlins to my dimesions. I could have continued my search with Hagon and Maxton and BiTubo. YSS was not known to me then.

The Penske is a good value.

Great parts and service availability, durable, and high performance.

But no doubt the others offer high performance and cheaper three-ways.

And with the Penske it took a few emails for them to understand what I wanted, which was:

eye to eye 286mm and travel of 70mm.

I think I ended up with:

eye to eye 284-286mm and 68-69mm travel

The Sachs is about a centimeter shorter in both dimensions.

If someone could measure it accurately, I am curious to know the dimensions.

Bob,

Penske told me that the 2 models available are the 8983 for $855.00 or the 8987 for $1195.00. Don't know if V11 will be able to work with a 'Piggy Back' style, I think we need to have remote reservoir.

John

I am guessing that if you don't specify length, you might end up with about the same eye to eye as I did, but a little less stroke, because of the room needed for the standard ride height and rebound adjusters.

Too bad they don't have the numbers at their finger tips.

With a little probing I am sure they could tell us.

I believe Brian has the standard dimensioned shock and is very happy with it.

But I am a nit-picker for maximizing available travel. :nerd::rasta:

LE said they could not do Elka or WP, but they could do Penske or Ohlins to my dimesions. I could have continued my search with Hagon and Maxton and BiTubo. YSS was not known to me then.

Who is LE??

John

Who is LE??

John

Sorry, I was lazy and my spelling ability of Swedish names could be improved on...

http://www.le-suspension.com/

Lindemann Engineering Suspension

520 McGlincey Lane #3

Campbell, California 95008

Voice: (408) 371-6151

Fax: (408) 371-4915

From what I can tell they are good balance of service and price.

Jim Lindemann has a reputation as a disorganized suspension genius.

I was very happy with the service I got from him.

To get the right bushings it took three shipments from Penske.

Probably a communication problem, so maybe it was my fault....but I don't think so. In any case, they treated me with respect and eventually got me the right bushings. These things happen when you do things custom. My first set of bushings probably would have worked fine if I had ordered the off the shelf shock.

I have heard some prefer dealing with

http://www.gpsuspension.com/

http://www.traxxion.com/

http://www.guzzitech.com/ good for YSS, Wilbers, HyperPro Guzzi experts, but I am not sure if they can revalve the shocks they sell??? They recently started offering valve kits for the forks of Tonti framed Guzzis, and maybe for spines with Marzocchi forks????