Moto Guzzi back to Moto-GP

Did you saw where this topic is posted :D

I tried to teach Antonio how to speek Amerikan once.

Futility, just like Guzzi in MotoGP.

:2c:

We alls know that V-twangs are dah bomb. Ludites riding guzzisti know, and serious go fast people riding Aprilias know, HOWever, on the race track, HP and and a bunch of other krap rules.

Guzzis last great stand was with the V8.

If they could resurrect the Messiah of race bikes, they might stand a fighting chance, and Piaggio using the Guzzi badge with claims of the best engineers at Aprilia helping out, might just make it.

But I suspect that four cylinders may be the maximum allowed in MotoGP....

But don't slip into the void of complete pessimism yet, the work around could be four oval pistons, which would force them to out honda Honda, which in turn would earn them remarkable credibility, and every Ricky-Racer would want one.

A long shot, I know I would not bet on it, but it would make more sense to me than any other Piaggio MotoGP Pipe Dream.

IMHO a better strategy would be to keep making reliable, slow, durable, over-priced Guzzis as a niche market.

The best marketing edge Guzzi has, is that they make the best handling 'cruisers' in the Universe (of production motorcycles). The Sport bike niche ain't likely to work, but the retro sports could make it....IMHO.

But I suspect that four cylinders may be the maximum allowed in MotoGP....

Nope, least if it is, then Honda's v-5 isn't legit... ;)

Actually, that's pre-800cc MotoGP [can you tell I don't really follow it? Too unrelated to real-world bikes, that's why WSB is more important than MGP results]; I don't know if they axed anything over 4 cyls when they revised the displacement limit. There was some complicated formula for displacement vs. # of cylinders under the old scheme, which gave triples & twins the full 1000cc [not doing Ducati any favors there! :nerd:], fours & fives got 900cc? and higher #s dramatically less [to discourage Guzzi & Laverda from participating... :lol:]

Anyway, I don't think anyone is currently racing anything over 4 cyls in MotoGP, but that doesn't mean they're forbidden, just that the rules are structured in such a way as to discourage them. Kind of the reverse of what Guzzi faced in the 50s when they built the v-8: the only limit was displacement, and their old 500cc singles and twins just weren't able to compete in terms of power when the brakes & tires got good enough so that their opponents could take advantage of the power from their multis, so let's leapfrog the competition and double their four cylinders... What audacity! Such a pity those days are 50+ years behind us now, and racing is more about whose programming is better. I'd rather watch a spec league so you can really determine who's a better rider, since everyone is on identical bikes!

:race:

Nope, least if it is, then Honda's v-5 isn't legit... ;)

Actually, that's pre-800cc MotoGP [can you tell I don't really follow it? Too unrelated to real-world bikes, that's why WSB is more important than MGP results]; I don't know if they axed anything over 4 cyls when they revised the displacement limit. There was some complicated formula for displacement vs. # of cylinders under the old scheme, which gave triples & twins the full 1000cc [not doing Ducati any favors there! :nerd:], fours & fives got 900cc? and higher #s dramatically less [to discourage Guzzi & Laverda from participating... :lol:]

Anyway, I don't think anyone is currently racing anything over 4 cyls in MotoGP, but that doesn't mean they're forbidden, just that the rules are structured in such a way as to discourage them. Kind of the reverse of what Guzzi faced in the 50s when they built the v-8: the only limit was displacement, and their old 500cc singles and twins just weren't able to compete in terms of power when the brakes & tires got good enough so that their opponents could take advantage of the power from their multis, so let's leapfrog the competition and double their four cylinders... What audacity! Such a pity those days are 50+ years behind us now, and racing is more about whose programming is better. I'd rather watch a spec league so you can really determine who's a better rider, since everyone is on identical bikes!

:race:

The displacement limit in MotoGP is absolute. They have differemt weight limits for different numbers of cylinders.

Minimum Weight - MotoGP Class 2007

2 Cylinder 137 kg

3 Cylinder 140.5 kg

4 Cylinder 148 kg

5 Cylinder 155.5 kg

6 Cylinder 163 kg

Partially because they restrict fuel capacity to 21 liters everybody uses a four cylinder engine at present.

Guzzi has no place in MotoGP at present. I could see Aprilia doing it.