Hello everyone, and help required please, broken Scura...

eas1rider

Didn't one of the recent vintage Cali/Stone variants come with a (steel!) single-plate clutch that was prone to rapid wear since those models had cable actuation instead of the hydraulic clutch of the V11 models? I seem to recall Greg Field stating the MI had several of the replaced-under-warranty Cali single-platers kicking around that could be resurfaced and transplanted to anyone wishing to replace their defective (alumaiminuminum) Scura single plater with another single-plater vs. going to the rattlebox 2-plater?

EDIT:

Here it is! Under "Ram aftermarket single plate clutch and flywheel kit, Searching for replacement clutch/flywheel for Scura" almost exactly a year ago (plus a couple weeks) Greg posted:

OK, so far two options:

1) We could cut down the steel single-plate Cali clutch to be as light as a RAM and fit it with a good plate. This is what I would do because I do not totally trust aluminum to do the job on a flywheel.

2) The stock Rosso Mandello clutch assembly (a RAM, I think) is available from Guzzi. Costs $800, but they have it in stock in the US.

I'm working on another angle, too . . .

Welcome to the fold, eas1!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Greg, you are correct. At some point the motor at least has had a knock, as I discovered when I removed the motor a repair had been performed on the front mount, left side. I'm wondering if the bike has toppled off its stand at some point, as when I got the bike, the stand fitted had been bent roughly back into shape and then braced and welded, pretty ugly. The first thing I did was replace the stand and all of the associated fittings. The repair is sound and appearance wise is pretty good, as it is obscured behind the frame, so I'm happy to leave as is for now.

eas1rider,

I replaced my Scura clutch with a RAM unit, purchased from Agostinis. Had it off them about 18 months ago. There were a couple of issues with fitting. The clutch centre thrust button (the piece the pushrod acts on) was too deep & when fitted, pushrod would not reach it to disengage clutch. I replaced it with stock Scura centre button. Also, RAM normally supply kit fully assembled, with a set of socket cap bolts to allow fitment without disassembly. Mine didn't have bolts - I didn't know it was supposed to - so cos I was using stock hex head bolts I had to pull it apart to mount. It is a bit of a fag getting it centred up again, so make sure you have socket caps with kit. I was in touch with Agostinis re problems but didn't get much help. Mine also came with carbon fibre friction plate which I learned later from Agostinis is prone to overheating. Stick with stock RAM friction material - I was surprised how well the stock Scura plate was wearing when I took it out. They wouldn't supply socket cap bolts after the event either. Others have fitted RAM straight from box without problems, although there was one person here I think had same issue with centre button.

I've had a RAM unit in my Tonti for several years. Has a very light action & works well.

KB :sun:

Did you check your flywheel baldini because as I have posted before this is a flywheel issue and not a clutch one. It is the flywheel that explodes not the clutch

The clutch bit's connected to the flywheel bit & they all come in a box called a clutch kit.

I checked the flywheel visually & it showed marking at exactly the points the other ones have been fracturing, tho wether they are cracks I can't tell. I still mean to get a dye penetrant test done but haven't got round to it. It's interesting to hear eas1rider's flywheel shows cracks. Mine is 20k with no symptoms but I changed it cos of concern that it might go bang. It's not just internet scares - I know one of the bikes that broke, & it's the same place every time.

I did consider using some of the original Scura clutch parts when I was struggling to get the RAM to fit - the spring/centre button assemby & the friction plate. But I stuck with the kit parts, apart from replacing the centre button.

KB :sun:

Clutch_etc_001.jpgClutch_etc_005.jpgAn update and hopefully some decent photos. The first photo is of the initial leak at the rear of the gearbox. The second photo, you can make out the crack underneath the nut and mounting lug. This is being dealt to with the purchase of a new case.

As for the clutch, I have had replies back from Agostinis and Stein-Dinse(Australia). Stein-Dinse recommended going to the twin plate with the associated costs...Agostinis on the other hand have been really helpful. Peter at Agostinis, who a number of you have dealt with, has been a great help. Very informative and quick responses to my emails, albeit 12 hours behind us.

I've asked Peter if I could quote parts of his emails as I think a number of you will find it interesting...

"Yes we have the RAM clutch. The difference is that the Guzzi version used some RAM parts and some parts from other sources. There is no reason to suspect there will be any future problem in the delivery. You may however like to take a spare friction disk at the same time.

Please note that the clutch comes ready assembled and balanced and there is no need to dismantle it to install it. It is designed in such a way that the screws are inserted through openings in the clutch centre.

The clutch body (the gear that fits to the front of the gearbox and inserts into the clutch) is not supplied in the kit and must be ordered separately if your existing gear is showing wear. If it is ok you do not need to replace it as it is compatible with the RAM clutch.

The price of the clutch kit is 450.00 euro and the price of friction disks is 65.00 euro"

From another email...

"RAM Engineering is a small company however it is quite well established here in Mandello and is doing a small but consistent turnover in special products for Guzzi. Mainly big bore kits and the RAM clutch. There is no reason to suspect that it will not continue in the same way for may years.

The clutch comes with the necessary screws to mount it and is 100% compatible with the existing clutch and original clutch body. In fact the original design for the Guzzi clutch was by RAM engineering but, unfortunately, to save money Guzzi did not source all parts from RAM and therein lies the source of the problem with cracking flywheels. The flywheel was one of the items that Guzzi sourced elsewhere.

A new clutch body is available for 86.91 euro. But if yours is not worn it is not worth replacing."

So it would appear the RAM clutch is still aviliable and hopefully will be for some time. Mine has been ordered and is jetting its way here as we speak :thumbsup:

Below are a couple of photos of the flywheel, (my apologies, they're not the best). The cracks are visable in blue. I have dye tested the flywheel and the cracks are only just starting to appear. Thankfully found early on.

Clutch_etc_009.jpgClutch_etc_017.jpg

Clutch_etc_012.jpg

So for now I guess I just sit and wait for all the bits to arrive, thanks for all your help and I hope the info. from Peter is helpful to others.

Have you found the reason the flywheel and transmission case cracked? In the automotive field, a loose trans. to block mounting bolts or an alignment (missing dowel pins) problem would cause this. Were ANY bolts found loose in the disassembly? I and especially YOU do not want a repeat of this problem.

Your quite right, I don't want a repeat. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm picking the bike may have had a fall from it's stand at some point :huh2: . As there is a repair to the left front mount and I have replaced the sidestand, which was pretty ugly and had been repaired and an attempt made to strengthen it.... All nuts, bolts and fittings were sound.

I can understand why you would want to think it just fell off its stand. A fall off the stand can break cylinder fins and such, but it is extremely unlikely that it would crack even one, let alone both major mountngs between drivetrain and frame. I'd bet it suffered a very major crash to crack both cases. If it were mine, I'd check the frame and the steering stem. If there were any signs of damage (I can tell you what to look for, if you're interested), I'd also check the forks and front axle.

You said #545 came from the US. You can you go to carfax.com and for $ enter the bikes VIN to get state licenscing history any DOCUMENTED wreck history. Or you can research through former owners(good luck) any crash history. falling of the stand? You could drop this thing off the top off your house and it shouldn't hurt the trans. case. I hope you get it back together and running good!

p.s. Invercargill ,as in Burt Munro?

Yes greg, I would like to think what ever has happened in the past was "relatively" minor. There is no other damage evident on the motor and from my brief look over the frame and around the headstock area, everything looks ok. The bike also rides well and tracks true. But I'm not a "cretin" :P , and therefore would happily accept some pointers as to what I should look for re any further damage. Others looking over the posts may also benefit.

And yes, Invercargill, as in Burt Munro. The annual Burt Munro Rally is on at the end of the month so all going well...really well, I'll have a bike to at least go to the street races on, heres hoping.