Hello everyone, and help required please, broken Scura...

eas1rider

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes greg, I would like to think what ever has happened in the past was "relatively" minor. There is no other damage evident on the motor and from my brief look over the frame and around the headstock area, everything looks ok. The bike also rides well and tracks true. But I'm not a "cretin" :P , and therefore would happily accept some pointers as to what I should look for re any further damage. Others looking over the posts may also benefit.

And yes, Invercargill, as in Burt Munro. The annual Burt Munro Rally is on at the end of the month so all going well...really well, I'll have a bike to at least go to the street races on, heres hoping.

Remove the tank. Get some metal rulers of various lengths. Get one about a meter long, as inexpensively as you can because to do this right you'll need to alter it. Lay the straight edges along one side of the spine at a time. If you need to file a notch for clearance around a weld or bracket do so. Look for bends, and also for ripples in the metal. Use a strong low-angle light to examine the metal and welds around the steering head. Look for wrinkling of the metal on the underside or stretching at the top. If the paint is cracked, gently scrape loose the flakes and look for cracks in the metal. Usually, it's a front-end hit that cracks both driveline mounts, and usually that means the frame is a little bent. If the hit was that hard, usually the steering stem is also bent. Remove its nut and check to see that the stem protrudes normal to the top tripl clamp. If it's bent even a little, the axle is usually bent, too, as are the fork tubes. To check them, you have to remove them and disassemble them. These parts may have been replaced or straightened already. Or, the absolute minimum may have been done.

A while back, a guy tried to trade in a V11 Sport that he had recently bought. We knew the bike. I knew it well, as I had tried to buy it from the owner after he had wrecked it. There was absolutely no question that the frame and steering stem and axle were bent, and the front engine mount was broken. I was planning on replacing the frame and front cover and whatever else it needed and giving it to my down-and-out brother. Instead, the guy sold it to a buddy. The buddy came in to price these items, 'cause he found out they were bent. He didn't want to pay the money, so he welded the front cover and had a frame shop try to straighten the frame. It cracked, and the frame guy came to us for advice and then against our advice welded it. Then, he slapped it together and sold it. It didn't work so well, so that guy sold it to this guy, who I suspect found out it doesn't work so well. Now, the front cover's cracked again, and the trans case is cracking, too. We declined the trade, at any price, as the bike is unsafe. All this done to it, and it has a clean title. Yes, there's a little sour grapes here. But really the bike is unsafe and should never have been "fixed" like that. Caveat emptor. I'm quite sure we'll see that bike again.

Hello all,

i have been lurking for a while now as i am a reader not a writer, but have to talk about this.

i am working on a friends bike a mandelo rosso and also found the gearbox casting cracked on the l/h side and breathing out oil. my friend is getting desperate he just bought the bike of a dealer in italy and has only done 300km on it.

the thing is that the bike does not seem to be involved in an accident, i had a good look over it, i am a competend mechanic,

i used to work on guzzis for a few years.

has this happened to anybody else. the bike has about 32000 on the clock, it seems the clutch housing has been undone at some point.

where can i get a gearbox at a reosonable price???

very good forum

thanks for your help

kalli

Hello all,

i have been lurking for a while now as i am a reader not a writer, but have to talk about this.

i am working on a friends bike a mandelo rosso and also found the gearbox casting cracked on the l/h side and breathing out oil. my friend is getting desperate he just bought the bike of a dealer in italy and has only done 300km on it.

the thing is that the bike does not seem to be involved in an accident, i had a good look over it, i am a competend mechanic,

i used to work on guzzis for a few years.

has this happened to anybody else. the bike has about 32000 on the clock, it seems the clutch housing has been undone at some point.

where can i get a gearbox at a reosonable price???

very good forum

thanks for your help

kalli

After my crash I had the gbox housing smashed in several pieces, I ordered a original new one from Guzzi dealer in Czech, costed me about 300€ and arrived in 6 working days from italy...

It's not that bad, isnt it?