Aprilia mirrors on Cafe Sport:

tmcafe

There have been posts about which mirrors do better than stock on Ballabios, Cafes, Coppas, etc. Some say the round originals are ugly. Not me; they're okay in my book, about as old school as the round, locomotive headlight. They're also nicely finished and don't vibrate as bad as other mirrors. Problem is they're too small, shape isn't very helpful either, and they're not showing enough of what's going on behind your sorry motorcyclist ass.

So I got the Aprilia mirrors from Moto I. Greg never had them on his bike, but said that folks who have like them. At about $24 a piece, WTF, they'd be worth a shot. So here's my experience.

They're the ones on the Shiver and the other unfaired Prillers. IIRC, Stelvio comes with them too. Looks: good, more (post)modern than the round ones. Finish: matte, unlike the stock rounds, but not a problem with integration on the bike. They look as if they came stock, or better. Shape: wing-like, asymmetrical, extending more outboard and bottom than up and inboard. Position: a notch lower than stock, just about the same sight level as the cockpit. View: they show more of the sides, perhaps a bit more of the arms/shoulders. But the benefit is that even if you still get your arms in the pic, you see more of the stuff behind. If I lean a little to see better what's behind me, I still can see a lot of what's behind on the opposite side. Vibration: they seem to be more solid than the stock ones, even at revs/speeds that would have caused the stocks to get buzzy. Air stream issues: haven't noticed a change, probably not an issue. Bottom line: would definitely recommend them as an improvement on the stock mirrors, and probably the best for the money. :thumbsup:

IMG_0025.jpg

With stock: IMG_0027.jpg

PS: IIRC joe camarda, one of our fellas here, used to have the Aprilia mirrors on his Coppa.

Got the same mirrors fitted to my Mandello. I'd seen them on a 1200 sport and as they were around £12 each thought they would be worth a go as my stock mirrors were no good at all. I would recommend them to anyone. You can see a bit more to each side but the fact that they don't vibrate is such a plus. I never knew what was behind me in the stock ones but now clarity.

They seem to be a stock mirror across quite a few manufacturers so even if you've not got a Guzzi dealer near you someone else will most likely stock them.

Thanks for the tip tmcafe, will have to get a set for my bike, I find the stock mirrors on my bike pretty much useless over 10mph, you know there is something behind you but never sure what it is. :thumbsup:

Nice pictures of the bike as well :wub:

Gary

• 3 months later...

Well i eventually got a pair of these mirrors and fitted them to the bike, went for a run today and i cant believe the difference, i can see whats sneaking up behind me now :thumbsup::bike: one of the best mods you can do if you have a handlebar on your V11

Gary

They are the same as the 1200 sport mirrors, so you don't need aprilia mirrors. In the end they are the same, just the idea.
Aprilia used them first I guess. Now apparently they're on Shiver, Mana, and on Guzzi 1200 Sport and Stelvio (?) in addition to the supermotards where they were first used. I wonder if there's a (minor) price difference between these mirrors as they are spec'd on both Aprilia and Guzzi. Logically there shouldn't be, but who are we to question Piaggio's logic :D

I actually just ordered a pair for my Greasy-O 1200 as the stock chrome items are awful. Not only do they rust at the drop of a hat but the lenses come loose and they buzz!

The 'Prilla type are used on the Stelvio and the 1200 Sport and use a 'Prilla part #. They are similar to the ones on my Mana but the Mana has differently lengthed stalks to keep the mirros symetrical on the bike. Certainly on the Mana they are about a zillion times better than the godawful chrome horrors on the Gris!

Pete