What to look for?

charlie b

OK, so I am about to go shopping for a V11. Wide range of prices out there depending on model and mods. Some look like killer deals (2000 V11 Sports seem to be going well below $5000).

When I go look at one, are there things I should look for that are out of the ordinary? I know enough to look for things like oil leaks near the seals, bad head and swing arm bearings and signs of being dropped. Guess the bottom line is, what should I walk away from if I see it?

charlie

Charlie,

Don't be afraid to buy. You will probably buy a V11 Sport naked. Then a Rosso Corsa because the paint scheme is HOT. Then (just because) you will get a Ballabio.After that you will see a Coppa Italia you can't live without. Then comes the levers,brake rotors,exhaust,PowerCommander,wheels,carbon fiber,etc..

p.s. any naked bike looks better than one with a fairng!

Hi Charlie,

You may want to read the model year breakdown and the common mods/problems threads in the faq if you haven't done so yet. A couple fairly common problems that weren't mentioned there are:

- Most 02 and some 03 bikes have "fuzzy" engine paint that bubbles and falls off. There's a thread on repainting the engine with Harley engine texture paint while it's in the bike somewhere on this site. Some owners had the cases replaced under warranty. Others took Guzzi accessories like luggage, exhaust, and carbon fiber parts in lieu of getting the warranty replacement cases.

- Some 03 and later bikes with the additional exhaust crossover by the alternator cover are prone to header pipe leaks or cracks at that crossover. Check that area closely on any post-02 bikes you may look at.

Good luck with your search!

Hey Charlie,

Treat it like any other vehicle. You already know the quirks that each year has from your research here. Most any of them are easy to correct. More importantly look at the condition of the bike. Has it been cared for? Has it been abused? Are there signs of it being dropped or crashed? Is the oil clean? Does it leak any fluids?

While these bikes have changed from year to year, the basic bike is pretty much the same. The pros and cons from one year to the next are trade offs.

Find yourself a clean, low mileage bike and enjoy.

Good luck in your search.

From the FAQ (see, I was paying attention) :)

-----------------------

1999-2001 models have a (shorter) red frame and have steeper steering geometry than later models (except RM). They handle 'quicker' or some say 'more twitchy'. Some say they are unstable at high speed- I've never had a problem. The 99-01 models have clip-ons mounted below the upper triple clamp and have Veglia (brand) instruments. They have a thinner rear tire (4.5") and the brake rotors have circular holes in them; apparently the 'circular hole rotors' are more prone to warping than later rotors. My mid-year '01 has later model rotors fitted, so your guess is as good as mine here.

Guzzi went to a longer wheelbase in late '01 or '02 to increase high speed stability. The '01 Rosso Mandello still has the short wheelbase of the 00 V11, only the rake of the fork was relaxed a little, about a half a degree. This kept the steering quick, but a little less twitchy at high speeds. Some folks have suggested that appropriate tire choice (Pirelli Diablo) gives a machine that handles like the '00-01 models.

-----------------------

I don't plan on any 'high speed' (over 100) riding :rolleyes: Also read up on tires in here so am 'well versed' on the narrower tire size to use on one of these.

I have sent an inquiry to the advertiser to see what's what.

charlie

PS the seller is a scooter shop. Sounds legit.

From the FAQ (see, I was paying attention) :)

-----------------------

1999-2001 models have a (shorter) red frame and have steeper steering geometry than later models (except RM). They handle 'quicker' or some say 'more twitchy'. Some say they are unstable at high speed- I've never had a problem. The 99-01 models have clip-ons mounted below the upper triple clamp and have Veglia (brand) instruments. They have a thinner rear tire (4.5") and the brake rotors have circular holes in them; apparently the 'circular hole rotors' are more prone to warping than later rotors. My mid-year '01 has later model rotors fitted, so your guess is as good as mine here.

Guzzi went to a longer wheelbase in late '01 or '02 to increase high speed stability. The '01 Rosso Mandello still has the short wheelbase of the 00 V11, only the rake of the fork was relaxed a little, about a half a degree. This kept the steering quick, but a little less twitchy at high speeds. Some folks have suggested that appropriate tire choice (Pirelli Diablo) gives a machine that handles like the '00-01 models.

-----------------------

I don't plan on any 'high speed' (over 100) riding :rolleyes: Also read up on tires in here so am 'well versed' on the narrower tire size to use on one of these.

I have sent an inquiry to the advertiser to see what's what.

charlie

PS the seller is a scooter shop. Sounds legit.

Correct views of the early bikes. I have an '01 red frame since new. I have had occasion to operate this machine at 'elevated' speeds, and, instability is probably a incorrect word to describe it. One magazine test described it as 'willowy', kind of just loose feeling, but only if you hit a bump in a corner, it's more like slight frame flex. To me it's a non issue, I prefer the more direct feel of the steeper steering head.

There were a number of things that should be made aware, on pre late '02 models, most are just silly little things [poor quality relays, cracking aluminium oil cooler brackets, speedo drives flying away, ignition switch securing security bolts falling out], but there were a small group of machines during these years which had national, should I say world recalls, http://www.webbikeworld.com/Moto-Guzzi-mot...port-recall.htm which in turn helped to sink Aprilia. Most have been fixed, mine has, and the gearbox is better than before, and all the other issues have been fixed under warranty as well.

However, there is one thing that should be pointed out that was not covered under recall, the dreaded single plate clutch experiment. Most all Mg>'s have the quite robust dual dry clutch, but starting with the V11 Rosso, later the Tenni, Scura, and perhaps others, single plate clutch with aluminium flywheel :lol::lol: , were introduced. Fractures at the securing bolts often caused massive destruction of most surrounding components.

Steve