Fifth South'n Spine Raid 2009

docc

Hi,

I've been a lurker here for a quite awhile now. I keep trying to 'attend' the South'n Spine Raid but have always been unavailable because of work related issues. Well, this year I was going to attempt to attend again but will be attending the VFRD rally with the husband the very same weekend. We will be staying in Franklin, NC. So, if you see a bunch of Honda VFR's and a lonely Cafe Sport, that'll be me.

:mg:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, you're welcome to use my pictures. Anytime.

:)

I'm hoping to get there too--either by way of coming from VA (probably camp at Willsville MC in Meadows of Dan thursday) or from Lawrenceville, GA, if I find myself down Atlanta-way that week. More later...

Hi,

I've been a lurker here for a quite awhile now. I keep trying to 'attend' the South'n Spine Raid but have always been unavailable because of work related issues. Well, this year I was going to attempt to attend again but will be attending the VFRD rally with the husband the very same weekend. We will be staying in Franklin, NC. So, if you see a bunch of Honda VFR's and a lonely Cafe Sport, that'll be me.

We did pick a weekend with lots of other rallyes going on, but not by design. (Not that we even have a design).

In the past our route took us to lunch in Franklin where we could sit quietly next to some of the people we passed en masse to get there. No brawling, though (North Carolinians are a gentle people).

This year we're headed north through the corners of Virginia and Kentucky where we'll have to be much more careful where we sit down for lunch.

Sorry we'll miss seeing your Cafe Sport! Perhaps next year it is a fair turn-about for the husband to bring his VFR (very nice bikes!).

Ride well, docc

Questions have come up about restaurants and such walking distance from the Comfort Inn. The folks at the hotel tell me they serve a continental breakfast with 'make your own waffle." Across the street (25W/411) is Lois's Country Kitchen, the Huddle House, Timeout Deli and the Exxon makes burgers, sanwiches and sells beer. Both Audrey's Bar and Grill and the Midnight Rodeo serve food.

About four miles east on I40 is another exit with a Cracker Barrel and much, much more.

PLEASE NOTE: THE BRIDGE OVER DOUGLAS LAKE WILL BE CLOSED! INTERSTATE 40 WILL BE CLOSED WEST OF THE 411/25W EXIT (EXIT 432) 8 MILES TO EXIT 424. Detours are posted and it should be no big deal. Just a heads up if you're coming in from the west on I40.

Bill and I have tweaked the route for Saturday looping north into VA/KY 238 miles. I'll try to print up some maps and directions. If you have Garmin MapSource, pm me and I'll send you the file.

Later, docc

Questions have come up about restaurants and such walking distance from the Comfort Inn. The folks at the hotel tell me they serve a continental breakfast with 'make your own waffle." Across the street (25W/411) is Lois's Country Kitchen, the Huddle House, Timeout Deli and the Exxon makes burgers, sanwiches and sells beer. Both Audrey's Bar and Grill and the Midnight Rodeo serve food.

Later, docc

Oh boy. ;)

http://www.clubplanet.com/Venues/114292/Ne.../Midnight-Rodeo

http://www.trulia.com/blog/geraldine_riden...rodeo_bar_grill

Dad-gum! Rat thar nere the X-on. S'pose the wild girl from Year One at the Super8 in Athens has made bail by now? Looks like her kind of place. . .

At least we have Wayne covered.

I'm goin' to the Huddle House to suck my thumb and order grits . . .

Dad-gum! Rat thar nere the X-on. S'pose the wild girl from Year One at the Super8 in Athens has made bail by now? Looks like her kind of place. . .

WooHoo, hot wings, cold beer, and gasoline. Everything one might need.

I was just told by management that 'things are picking up'. Secret code for 'you may need to work a few weekends'.

So I may be a no show. :angry:

I'll be there...

Sorry for not keeping in touch. I've moved recently and haven't had a internet connection for a month, until about 10 minutes ago.

At least you can see where my priorities are.

I'm still a little confused as to where homebase is going to be. :huh:

will try to get over that way before the paddy wagon shows up

or maybe the wagon will be following me

later

andy

Andy, Andy, Andy.

Basing here: http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-newport-te...7?promo=gglocal :P

For any lurkers who might want to ride up with others from n. Georgia, on Friday, 15 May, Kathi and I will be at Riders Hill http://www.ridershill.com/ to get a new rear tire for the Norge before heading to Newport. Mike Maillard will meet us there. I'm guessing we'll leave there c. 11 a.m., but post here, PM, call, or e/m me with your c/p number so we can arrange any gaggle going from there.

I'd invite anyone to meet us at the GarageMahalo in Inman Park, but as a faint cord line is showing on the Norge's present Pilot Power 2CT, and as there is not much leaning between downtown Atlanta and Dahlonega to use up the sides properly, we'll probably limp there too slowly for anyone to want to tag along.

Bill

404.808.8486 (M)

Coming in from the west, it looks like four of us leaving the Cracker Barrel on US 412 (I65/exit 46) at 0900 doing 276 ZUMO miles on backroads and byways to Newport.

In the past a few folks have holed up at motels at that exit on Thursday night.

If you're coming in on Thursday, let me know so some proper hospitality can be arranged. The usual stuff: beer, pizza . . . tires. :rolleyes:

Well, the rear tire in the Stelvio is just too far gone to risk. The replacement is still a day away. So I'll be on the EV.

I know everyone want to do more mud and gravel. So I may need to stick with the gravel and pavement instead. :o

Hi,

You must have been a very happy "Rain Princess" this weekend. :notworthy:

Friday's ride to Newport from Atlanta got us a bit wet, and Saturday's main ride started off sodden but improved to a nice day. But, I may never dry out from the ride home today. 300 wet, sometimes pouring, miles. Blech. :bbblll:

Seriously, suspect you and the VFR folks also got soaked.

Oh, well, gorgeous country, and the swollen creeks and rivers made for powerfully beautiful scenes as they rocked downstream in angry-looking, boiling torrents.

Will post more pix later, but here's a teaser of our very own docc. I'll let him explain. :P

IMGP1754s.JPG

Bill

Stunt parking (ouch).

Hope all are home and well. 840 miles for my Sport, including one three mile gravel switchback (Josh is the most patient and forgiving wingman one could ever hope for!)

For the record: the hacksaw blade is 0.026". Guzziology recommends 0.023 for the old round head and John with the SP will never be the same after Wayne healed his restart in the motel parking lot.