Tech Session - brakes

docc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the Stelvio has the same brakes as the V11, the Stelio's feel less powerful because of the difference in wheel size, which nets a reduced leverage ratio on the Stelvio. Still, the point remains: Testers have found these brakes wanting. They're ten years behind what is considered good brakes today. Fortunately, It is easy to gain back 5 of those years.

I'm probably going to regret pointing this out, but "locking the front wheel" is more a measure of poor braking technic then it is braking power.

You said it: the cheap Chinese scooter my friend gave me 'cause the front brake was either on or off [& therefore dangerous] is proof of that! Fixed the brake [the stoopid "ABS" (intentional air bubble in the brake line) had the piston in the wrong way], and hey presto: lousy feel, but it can still lock the brake controllably. Well, that is: with the fake "ABS" fixed, it was mush all the way to the handlebar, w/ some slight slowing. W/ the phony "ABS" module removed from the caliper & chucked into the scrap metal bin, it had lousy feel w/ the ability to lock the front tire before bottoming the lever against the handlebar... :luigi:

:lol:

• 2 months later...

Once again, Spine Raiders of the Lost Art will rendezvous in a few weeks just east of Knoxville, Tennessee, to hobnob, cohort and otherwise test brake rotor temperatures.

By the time the proper 'technical fluids' are applied to the results, the final tally could be beyond the interpretation margins of internet posting. :nerd:

In other words, you should come in person and and cast your very own jaundiced eye on the proceedings. :blink:

Bring your own technical fluids.

Meetings and Clubs Forum

As a shameless cross post from the "Meetings, Clubs & Events" forum, I propose to check rotor temperatures in the same sloppy, unscientific manner we checked rear drive temperatures last year.

Would you please do us a favor and check the temperature of the "oil temperature sensor" and post it where the sun don't shine (The engine oil temperature sensor thread)?

It will be sloppy and unscientific, but good fuel for pontifications!