Orson injured in South Africa

Mark in Hollister

I don't know Orson but see his Travel threads here and on Pashnit.com. His Tenni has seen many countries. I just read that he was involved in a motorcycle accident while touring S. Africa. Several broken bones, etc. Here is the latest on his condition copied from Pashnit.

I spoke to Orson yesterday; he's sounding quite cheerful despite his injuries. He's likely to be in the hospital until "the last week of December". If you want to send him a card, this is the address..

Will Sutton

Ward A

Paarl Medi-Clinic

Berlynstraat Noorder-Paarl 7646

Pos Bus 7267

Noorder Paarl 7623

Western Cape Province

South Africa

Orson!

Here's hoping that you recover well and fully from your prang!

I am even more aware of the good that positive energy can do than ever before. After my son's accident we got wonderful support from fellow riders from all over the world and found that it really helped to get their prayers, positive energy, good wishes, white light, cards etc. The whole Van Enter clan passes on their prayers and energy to you to get better and heal soon.

From where you are it sounds that you were in the Cape when you pranged. There are some awesome roads and scenery in that part of the world. Are you going to stay in S.A. for a while or are you returning to Europe soon? (cards sent now will never get to the Cape in time if you are hopefully out of hospital by the end of Dec.)......by the way, thats a crap way to spend Christmas, and even worse as it's happened to a fellow V11 and Tenni owner.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Again, get better well, and soon

:bier:

Cheers

Van

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the well wishes.

I'm in the Cape Town airport heading for Saudi

Still a long recovery road ahead.

Doc says maybe 6 months before I return to work.

I stopped to take a picture, then started off on the wrong side of the road. Baldini & Martin have seen me do that before :rolleyes:

Stupid question maybe, but the Tenni is a write off?

Heavens no! :o

it was a rental BMW 650 twin. Nice bike but a tad underpowered.

For those who haven't heard, here's a list of the injuries:

Right femur broken just above the knee and at the hip socket. torn ligaments in right knee and right ankle. Some broken bones in my right foot. Broken right collarbone. Several broken ribs. I had a 7 hour surgery to patch me back together.

How my arms and hands escaped unscathed is a wonder, but I'm grateful as I've heard hand injuries can be a bitch. Doctor is cautiously optimistic for a good recovery.

The accident happened on a twisty road, so I had no time to react. The car just appeared in front of me in MY lane! Well, that's what my brain told me when I saw the car. I thought he was in the wrong. I expected him to correct and return to his lane, so I didn't dare turn left in order to avoid a possible head on :rolleyes:

At the last second, he veered off to the shoulder, and I struck him on the driver's side door at about a 45 degree angle. I think he was almost stopped and I may have been doing about 40 or 50 mph when we struck.

I bounced off him and landed in the road with a thud. No skidding. I just plopped. The South Africans at the crash scene were very helpful and I'm grateful I was taken to a first world standard hospital.

Holy cow, Orson... :o

Glad to hear that you're alive despite the nasty crash. Get well soon and I do hope see you on the road ASAP.

All the best from me and my family.

Best wishes

Søren

I'm very sorry that you pranged in the first place, but am totaly relived to hear that you got off as well as you did........a gardian angel for sure. Thank God you weren't hurt worse than you were and that you are on the path to a full recovery. After watching my son go through the agony of his broken ribs and scapula (he got hit from behind) I can empathise the pain you've been goin through. Also very lucky that you got first rate medical attention. Glad they still have some decent doctors still in S.A. and they haven't all emmigrated.

Anyway Orson, glad that you're ok and getting better, keep us posted.

:bier:

Cheers

Van