Cold road travel

docc

Planning on traveling this weekend around 150 miles and up to around 1700 feet in elevation (the Cumberland Plateau of Middle Tennessee). The temperatures are projected in the black ice range (freezing to just above).

Is it effective to lower tire pressures a bit to maintain traction? Other techniques? Stay home? Take the Jeep?

Guest ratchethack

Docc, I'm with Martin and Gene on this one.

Having ridden off-road bikes in all kinds of ice and snow for decades when I was younger and even more foolish than I am today :cheese: -- not in Scandinavia, but in the winter snows of Michigan and Lake Tahoe, CA, (lake elevation 6,229 ft., but riding fire roads up to ~8,000+ ft.) this is NOT something you want to even think about with a 550 lb. relative behemoth like the Guzzi. Speaking from experience on this, lowering your tire pressures will have ZERO effect on traction on black ice. Now I expect "someone" might be compelled to post a photo of a V11 fitted with knobbies in the snow (there was one circulating a few years back), along with the false implication that this magically transforms the V11 into a truly wonderful snowmobile for romping gaily through the drifts over hill and dale -- but that it most certainly ain't.

She'll do as well as any in the wet with good wet performance tires (on pavement of course), but in freezing conditions, all bets are instantly, and most decisively OFF. :o

Have you changed your brake and clutch fluid lately? How about that overdue fork oil change you've been putting off? :grin:

:stupid:

Snow is doable and sometimes even fun on a dirt bike as long as you are off pavement but as the boys above said, leave the full size street bike at home. Black ice will put you down faster than you can get "sonofabitch" out of your mouth.

Take the Jeep. There will be plenty of time to ride later.

Docc, they're a bunch of pussies....I used to ride all year round, whatever the conditions - if I could get the bike from the shed to the road it was good to go. Some of the most memorable times I've had on a bike have been in snow & cold conditions. But I've been on my arse more times than I can remember. Like they said - don't matter what you do to your tyre pressures - there's NO grip to be had on ice! If there is ice about, esp at night, it's like roulette, maybe you'll be lucky, maybe you won't. So now, the roads outside here are steep, sheet ice everywhere, the bike's in the shed & staying there, miaoww.

If you are going to go out & there's danger it's slippy, try to keep the bike as upright as possible in corners - use your body weight off the side more, & all your inputs slow, steady & smooth. Use wide, smooth lines. Stay off the brakes as much as you can, esp the front - it'll go in an instant. Plan ahead, look way down the road, but also keep an eye out for any changes in appearance on road surface. Keep yourself warm, getting cold & uncomfortable does nothing for concentration. Above all relax your body - with the exception of your buttocks, which at moments of crisis you should clench tightly.....

Good luck! KB :sun:

Urf! I was expecting more disociated encouragement than all that bald faced truth! ;)

The hook looks like 55 degrees F going over and no chance of ever making it home. But, what were all those pictures from the UK with snow on the tents and frost on the Guzzis?

SNOWRIDE.jpg

SNOWRIDE.jpg

If you are really determined to do some winter riding you might like to look at the site of Hans P, top bloke in Norway

Hans P winter riding

Just for interest Andy, a mate from Skipton (Yorkshire :thumbsup: ) set of on Monday on his C90 for a fortnight winter rally camp in Austria. He may be slow but he is less likely to hurt himself with that bike :bier:

Thanks for the link! Our weather here hardly compares. Yet, I don't want to be taken by surprise in a frosty corner.

I typically run the rear pressure up to 40 psi for hot weather (90 F), with high speeds and loaded panniers. I suppose I'll back that down to the factory spec; which is probably moot since I'm running a 160.

Here in the States we have something called Ground Hog Day which happens to fall on the halfway point through winter: February second. I always try to celebrate with a ride knowing we're halfway to spring, shadow or no shadow.

Guest ratchethack
Now I expect "someone" might be compelled to post a photo of a V11 fitted with knobbies in the snow (there was one circulating a few years back), along with the false implication that this magically transforms the V11 into a truly wonderful snowmobile for romping gaily through the drifts over hill and dale -- but that it most certainly ain't.
SNOWRIDE.jpg

Yeah. That's the one. As I recall, this was one of a series of photo's. One was of the Sport lying sprawled out on its side in the parking lot like a beached whale, spewing steam from under a valve cover hard against the packed snow. I reckon the one above is a shot of where it got stuck in its tracks, where it more'n likely remained until dragged out. :whistle:

If there's such a thing as Guzzi abuse, this has to be a prime candidate. <_<

Gotta wonder how many were "inspired" by this photo to fit knobbies and wound up in the exact same fix (or worse).

Enquiring minds. . . (well, you know) . . . :huh2: