Turning a Centauro into a Café Racer...

1100sport

Nice bike! I see that you kept the OEM rear frame but fitted an "Australia" type rear bodywork (like Paul!) am I correct?

How do you like the engine in comparison to the Aprilia?

This was a Daytona once..now its work in progress

Its into pieces now because im fitting a Ohlins radial front end from a RSV Factory now

2645495991_5dca132cd5_b.jpg

Here is some more info on the bike

Daytona special

The bike came with that seat unit on it,it will have to go together with the subframe replaced by some thing more sleeker.

2646316004_f8acc0e516_b.jpg

Now im replacing the front end for ohlins,injection system for 42 flatslide carb's,swingarm for a aluminium one..ect ect we start again on the bike next week and wil keep u posted on the other topic.

Compared to my (tuned)Aprilia track bike the bike is slow,no revs,no power..but thats not importand.. its a Guzzi :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Here is some more info on the bike

Daytona special

The bike came with that seat unit on it,it will have to go together with the subframe replaced by some thing more sleeker.

2646316004_f8acc0e516_b.jpg

Now im replacing the front end for ohlins,injection system for 42 flatslide carb's,swingarm for a aluminium one..ect ect we start again on the bike next week and wil keep u posted on the other topic.

Compared to my (tuned)Aprilia track bike the bike is slow,no revs,no power..but thats not importand.. its a Guzzi :wub:

That is a very cool Guzzi. I love the beast of an engine for all to see. I'm curious as to why you are tossing the EFI for carbs. Funny as I'm about to do the opposite to my lemans 4. Going to EFI in a non EFI bike is sure to be a major pain in the rear. After reading about everones tuning issues with the Guzzi EFI I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. After surfing this site I found a link to a supplier of after market ignition that will work with the Guzzi hall sensor. It would be real easy to just stuff the late model V11 lemans engine in my Tonti, go with the stand alone ignition and drop a pair of kehin FCR's. Humm.....mayby I should rethink the project. Any thoughts?

The guzzi is in progress now.. aka bits..

b1dad797fc7145eba3e2e46b37370def.jpg

The injection system is so complicated..not on the technical side but the amount of wires,hoses,relays,pump,filter,sensors..just too much

She ran fine with the injection on it but i believe that a guzzi engine(especially the 4v) should be bare.. so i decided just for the looks .to remove the complete system.. still dont regret it.

now installing a Sachse ignition unit to get it going again with the carbs,later on that wil be replaced by a different unit

Sachse

It would be real easy to just stuff the late model V11 lemans engine in my Tonti, go with the stand alone ignition and drop a pair of kehin FCR's. Humm.....mayby I should rethink the project. Any thoughts?

Simpler is better!

Bernoulli never sleeps, but an EFI bike w/ a dead battery is... dead.

In an ideal world, a carbed Guzzi would run a magneto, so that even if it had a dead battery, it could be bump started [flashback to push-starting my old VW Beetle w/ a near-dead battery after leaving the lights on while parked! :lol:] for the ultimate in stone-axe reliability! ;)

The guzzi is in progress now.. aka bits..

b1dad797fc7145eba3e2e46b37370def.jpg

The injection system is so complicated..not on the technical side but the amount of wires,hoses,relays,pump,filter,sensors..just too much

She ran fine with the injection on it but i believe that a guzzi engine(especially the 4v) should be bare.. so i decided just for the looks .to remove the complete system.. still dont regret it.

now installing a Sachse ignition unit to get it going again with the carbs,later on that wil be replaced by a different unit

Sachse

I cant wait to hear how the FCR's compare to the EFI. Also let us know how the ignition goes. I'm still on the fence weather to go EFI or carbs with a stand alone ignition.

Hi there,

just found this topic while searching for information. As I´m currently fitting a daytona tank to a centauro I do know that it fits nicely on to the main frame. Only I am not sure about the position of the front adapters. Are the ones on a Daytona frame slightly deeper? The tank seems to be a bit high at its front end. Can someone help me? Width of the adapters is perfect though. Anyone knows about the original rear end adapters for the early type tank and a suitable filler cap?

As for a suitable seat, I made up a rear frame from a crashed v11 part, making looks a bit shorter.

Second feature I could use some help with is the colour scheme for tank and seat cover. Black/White, Red/Black, Guzzi V8 old-style green with brown leather-seat? Can´t make up my mind. Any suggestions?

Gerhard

Centauroproject_012.jpg

IMG_2966a.jpg

Hi there,

just found this topic while searching for information. As I´m currently fitting a daytona tank to a centauro I do know that it fits nicely on to the main frame. Only I am not sure about the position of the front adapters. Are the ones on a Daytona frame slightly deeper? The tank seems to be a bit high at its front end. Can someone help me? Width of the adapters is perfect though. Anyone knows about the original rear end adapters for the early type tank and a suitable filler cap?

As for a suitable seat, I made up a rear frame from a crashed v11 part, making looks a bit shorter.

Second feature I could use some help with is the colour scheme for tank and seat cover. Black/White, Red/Black, Guzzi V8 old-style green with brown leather-seat? Can´t make up my mind. Any suggestions?

Gerhard

As far as i know the position is the same...i lowered the adapters to get the tank lower.

Not easy though, because then the breather pipe on top of the frame has to be modified also.

nice project :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
hello

i am working on a tonti with centauro engine, 1225cc, mikunis 45mm and kröber magnetic ignition. will be ready to race this summer.

best regards

peter

Hi there, what happened to your project, very much interested in it. I read an article on the Horvath-Guzzi in the early 80´s, since then I always thought I should visit the Schüttelgasse...Now I keep dreaming about having my Centauro V12 in a Tonti frame to build another sleeper.... Thanks for further information!

Hi there, what happened to your project, very much interested in it. I read an article on the Horvath-Guzzi in the early 80´s, since then I always thought I should visit the Schüttelgasse...Now I keep dreaming about having my Centauro V12 in a Tonti frame to build another sleeper.... Thanks for further information!

Guess peter got some appetite after he saw the grabtheflag races ^_^

kind regards

PS: but hes not residing in schuettelstrasze anymore but i bet he s eager to give ya his new adress

I have been lurking around on the german sites - I too remember having seen some "umbau" V11 modified with 4v engines......

One for Mathieu:

DSCF7638.jpg

And one for Carl:

agoiiier.jpg

Hubert