Replacement Battery

MotoG5

I bought an Odyssey had it just over 2 years and it packed up they give 3 year warranty in US and 2 in Europe! didnt get replaced under warranty so in my book 

Junk wouldnt buy another

Sorry to hear that. Most people seem to get a lot of life out of the original battery and/or an Odyssey replacement battery (they seem to be the same battery).

Given the overall weight of the V11, how much difference is the battery weight going to make?...

That's not the point. Lighter is better - louder is faster - and a Sport is Green. You should have known this ;)

Anyway, the weight is just a nice add on. The real advantage over the Hawkers is the smaller voltage drop under load. This is a nice improvement unless your bike is starting well anyway - what V11s usually do. So personally I actually would not bin my well working Hawker, but if I were in doubt about it's performance I surely would.

Hubert

I replaced my battery with a Yuasa, it quit after a couple of months with very weird symptoms, the supplier replaced it with the same Yuasa and it's been fine for over 2 years.

For some reason I just don't trust lithium technology, it needs a different charging method whereas lead acid batteries have been around since Adam was a cowboy their quirks are well known.

I would certainly buy another Yuasa, their warranty covers any teething problems you may have.

In fact the Lithium technology is a complex thing - lots of variants and different specs. Nevertheless an actual Li-Fe based battery is closer to a Hawker as the Hawker is to a Chinese lead-acid cheapo. They are a plug-and-play replacement now.

Hubert

The weight is an issue, at least for me.  The battery sits high on the bike, making a weight savings especially valuable. 

My V7 Classic needs a new one, and I'd like to go lithium, but it seems that the technology is still in the learning phase.

Any more experiences with Li batteries?

Boeing used LiCo based cells, something like this. They are the lightest cells, having the highest energy density. Alas they are the most sensible ones.

Search for LiFePo4 based batteries (or single cells, maybe). They work. You should nevertheless install some sort of voltage monitoring in case the regulator goes through, delivering 17V and above. This ruins an expensive Hawker as well, but I'm not sure now how LiFePo4s would react to this. I think they just quit.

Hubert

• 1 month later...

Been doing some reading up.  It appears that the new LiPO4 batteries will need some care.  If the battery discharges to say less than 9V then it will have to be discarded.  I installed a SHorai which went to 7.5V (I think there is some draw even when the bike is not being used) and it is dead. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes, go for it. It gives that bit of extra thump you Brits are dreaming of in typical cold, wet and foggy mornings :grin:

But thanks for the correction. Indeed it should have been a capital o :)

Hubert