I Picked up my first Guzzi

Guest gcally

I just picked up my first Moto Guzzi a 2002 V11 Le Mans. I have a couple of questions about the bike.

-The forks are very hard to compress. Also when you do give them a good push they do not rebound very fast, You almost have to pull them back up.

-I never heard a Guzzi run. The motor sounds good up to 3,500 RPM. But after that it sounds like there is a knocking sound (could be coming from the head or exhaust I do not know) It is not too loud but defiantly noticeable. Also when I fist start the bike it knocks a little until the oil stars to flow. I am probably being paranoid.

-The left exhaust header pipe is very close to the engine case. I cannot tell it might even be touching.

-One last thing, the clutch is making a clunking sound when compressed. Sounds like a Ducati. I know the Guzzi has a dry clutch.

Are all these observation typical of a Guzzi

Thanks For the help this is my first Moto Guzzi I just want to make sure every thing is OK with the bike.

Thanks Greg Callahan

:mg:

Guest captain nemo

Ha. Sounds like it is 'ticking' alone just fine. Yes they all tick and they all make clutch sounds. The others here can tell you why. As for forks, there are some adjustments you will notice on the tops. You see a 'C' for compression on the left fork and an 'R' for rebound on the right fork. You will have to experiment by turning those one click at a time '+' or '-' to suit youself. My V11 was mighty stiff too so I let out some compression by turning 'C' in the '-' direction a couple clicks. Sounds like you should do that also. You might want to turn up '+' your rebound and see what happens. I like a plush ride that is still stable through the corners. It will take many such tinkerings to get it all the way you like. There are also comperable adjustments for the rear shock - including preload. You are on the right forum to get the facts....

Welcome :bier:

Hi Greg,

Well first of all, contratulations on your new bike :bier: Is this the salvaged LeMans?

Well to your questions:

1) Not sure about the "knocking" you describe, unless you are talking about pinging/detonation?? If so, then yes this can be common on newish bikes, and the Guzzis are well-known for pinging under hard acceleration and high temp days. It's just a legacy of the low-tech motor, and being air-cooled.

But if it is pinging at 3500RPM consistently, something is awry, and you may want to have your fuel-mixture checked at a dealer with the ECU software, as well as a general intake checkup such as balancing the throttle-bodies. Consistent pinging(detonation) will cause harm over time.

However, I may be tilting at windmills, and simply misunderstanding your description :huh2: So maybe you can get a dealer or someone else local to help diagnose the sound. It may be harmless. These bikes do make a lot of noise :bike:

2) The exhaust is often quite close to the engine case, but no it shouldn't be touching. You can loosen up the whole system and straighten it out quite easily though... well unless you have one of those crooked Stucchi crossovers :lol:

3) The clutch shouldn't make a "clunk" but it should rattle when pulled-in(disengaged), as yes it is a dry clutch. ...which BTW, I love that sound, and the look in some people's eyes when they indeed thing something is wrong with my bike when it's sitting there rattling :lol: But if you are getting a "clunk" when actuating the clutch, that's not normal.

Maybe you could describe the sounds a bit differently?? Otherwise it's hard to tell :huh2:

al

Yes it is the salvage Le Mans I bought. I am just a little Paranoid. My other bike is a Ducati 996 and it makes all kind of weird sounds. The clutch noise sounds just like my Duck. I probable need to hear or see another Guzzi. The problem is there is not a Guzzi dealer in western PA.

Also I need a right clip-on. I only need the actual bar that slides into the clip-on. I do not need the part that clamps to the forks.

I also need a set of stock exhaust cans (black) CHEAP.

Does any one know of a good Moto Guzzi dealer where I can get OEM parts?

Thanks Greg

Yeah, finding another Guzzi would be the trick for sorting out the sounds I'm sure :lol:

In regard to exhausts, just watch eBay or call around to your "nearest" MG dealer. They usually both have a good supply of cast-off OEM exhuast where folks have changed out to aftermarket ones. I'd offer you mine, but they were sold last Summer :unsure:

As far as a good MG parts dealer, I am currently sold on Moto International out of Seattle. I've ordered several things from them, and they seem to have their act together.

Someone on the list that has changed to aftermarket bars may have a cheap/free set of clipons for ya...

al

Guest geezerx

The clutch ... should rattle when pulled-in(disengaged) ...

Recently had the input seal on my tranny replaced. And as a result of continued riding instead of timely repairing, ended up replacing the clutch, also. :wacko:

Anyway, I just noticed the other day that the clutch seems to be rattling now while the clutch lever is released in neutral, sorta like a duc. And I did not notice the rattling while the clutch lever is pulled in. Didn't think to much about it until reading this thread.

Other than the reversal of the sound, everything else seems ok.

Any thoughts on this issue?

I thought there were three Dealers in western Pa. as well as Eish's in Salinesvulle OH.? Are none of them still open?

The one in NW Pa. has only been there a few years. Westmoreland and the other go way back with Guzzi's.

If you want to live in a "no dealer zone', move to my area! I have a good dealer 240 miles to the north and another 300 miles to the SW!

Most Guzzi's owners around here rely on me for service or tips to straighten out their bikes. All we have locally is the support of a few club members!

Anyway, I just noticed the other day that the clutch seems to be rattling now

Any thoughts on this issue?

My clutch also changed its tune after the gearbox was removed and replaced. Since then I've ridden it 10,000 miles and gotten used to the new sounds. The change worried me at first. :(

Guest geezerx

Thanks docc. :drink:

I got used to dry clutch rattle years ago. On the duc it occured while the clutch lever was out. Then when I got the V11, the rattle was now noticeable while the clutch lever was in. Okay. Now since the clutch job, the V11's rattle has changed to the clutch lever out position. :huh2:

Kind of spooked me at first after I noticed that the rattle had changed from "in" to "out" on the V11.

I'm just gonna keep riding. One of the advantages of getting older is that stuff like this doesn't remain in the memory bank long enough to be a worry.

****I probably need to hear or see another Guzzi. The problem is there is not a Guzzi dealer in western PA.****

Thanks Greg

As Rich Maund, I am puzzled by your "no dealers" statement.

There is one in Franklin, another in Greensburg, and yet another in North East (Erie).

The first two seem to specialize in turning Calis into chrome-bedecked, "LOUD," fishtail exhaust, fringed, competitors to HD, but are good folks. Uncommon M/C in Erie is quite capable to handle more sporting lines as he also sells (or at least, I know, services) Ducatis and lots of Guzzis.

There are also quite a number of competent owners who can turn a wrench in that part of the world, too. Finally, as Rich pointed out, Eish is a treasure.

Where are you?

Oh yes, congrats. Hope you love that beast...as soon as you put your mind at ease on those concerns.

Bill