Fuel Tank

rpeterson

I have a minor problem with small spherical blisters appearing near the upper surface of the tank.

I'm thinking these are the result of the 10% ethanol fuel blends in Florida. I've located material to coat the inside of the tank, but don't have a clue as to how to repair the outside surface.

What plastic is the tank is made from? Any info on repair material would be greatly apprecited.

<_>

I wouldn't think the fuel inside would blister the paint outside. Yet, I have heard of others having paint issues with their tank. Perhaps they'll chime in??

What color is the paint?

Hi - Is the paint truly blistering or are you just seeing the circular dimples? I have been told that ethanol has a delaminating effect on our plastic tanks.

Todd from MPH has said over at WildGuzzi the problem exists with many of the Aprilia tanks as well if I recall correctly. I think I recall a coating discussed but I think it was determined the coating needs to be applied when new or prior to paint I believe. :nerd:

As for me, I live in Florida too but I have not seen the dimpling yet but I do not have many miles on my bike. I am hoping for some real soon so I have a reason/excuse to buy on of these from www.THETANKSHOP.com! :D

Regards,

Bob

v11a.gif

As for me, I live in Florida too but I have not seen the dimpling yet but I do not have many miles on my bike. I am hoping for some real soon so I have a reason/excuse to buy on of these from www.THETANKSHOP.com! :D

Regards,

Bob

Plastics are not laminated. Therefore, delamination is not possible. THere may have been flaws or voids in the casting that now manifest as raised dimples.

Plastics are not laminated. Therefore, delamination is not possible. THere may have been flaws or voids in the casting that now manifest as raised dimples.

Hi Greg - noted and thx for clearing this up......I think I have heard folks refer in posts as delaminating. Another question then, the dimpling doesn't lead to paint peel does it? Pic's I have seen posted just look like dimples to me?

Also, here is a link on it from WildGuzzi.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic...90398#msg290398

Here is an portion:

I rode my red 04 Ballabio yesterday and saw that it has two convex dimples on both sides. I called Moto International and they told me it isn't from tank suck because the dimples go out and not in. Instead it is from a chemical delamination of the tank (whatever that is.) They don't know how bad it will get. ARGGHHH!!! This really pisses me off. I called the main U.S. dealers and none of them have any used tanks and new ones are $1250 and out of stock...

Any ideas? How bad will these dimples get? Is that really what caused it?

From MPH

Yep its ethanol, it may get worse, most dont.

This isnt a Guzzi specific problem and its been flogged around here many times.

The Nylon material is not made in layers, the bubbling happens due to plastic absorbing and reacting to ETOH.

Every Multistrada on the road has had its tank replaced, then the new one did it again.

Do a search on this site for ethanol related threads, but there isnt anything you can do about the tank

Thx,

Bob

I have the same problem with my 2004 Ballabio dimples on the top of the tank. :(

Here is the first post of a other 04 Ballabio http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=dimples

Ethanol Fuel - What's the dangers?

Simply put, ethanol is an excellent SOLVENT (dissolves plastic, rubber, fiberglass and more), and unlike MTBE ethanol will ABSORB WATER, which can cause serious problems to some engines.

And no I never filled up with E-85

Sam

Thanks for all of the replys. However the main question of WHAT PLACSTIC MATERIAL THE TANK IS MADE FROM IS NOT KNOWN. Like I stated I have the material to coat the inside of the tank to provide the protection from the 10% ethanol fuel. I have also met with a local body shop/bike restorer and he can repair the exterior of the tank, he just needs the exact knowledge of the plastic material Moto Guzzi made the tanks from. I suspect they are a roto-molded plastic much like the kayak inductry.

Thanks,

Randy

I believe the fuel tanks are made by acerbis and are ABS plastic. I have heard of issues with Norge tanks having problems related to ethanol as someone already mentioned. Its more likely a paint prep issue with bubbling paint, plastics can be a pain and imperfections begin to appear later on. I repainted mine 3 yeas ago and no problems with the ethanol fuel as of yet.

I have a minor problem with small spherical blisters appearing near the upper surface of the tank.

I'm thinking these are the result of the 10% ethanol fuel blends in Florida. I've located material to coat the inside of the tank, but don't have a clue as to how to repair the outside surface.

What plastic is the tank is made from? Any info on repair material would be greatly apprecited.

<_>

I had the paint on my 02 original tank bubble as well. It started as a slight "wavy" blemish under the clear, then it slowly lifted over a period of a month or two. I can't say if it was from a paint defect, ethanol, or tank suck unfortunately.

The tank material is essentially similar to that no-stick white plastic they use for cutting boards. It is almost oily/slick in texture and takes some special prep for painting. Almost nothing sticks to it unless chemically bonded or welded.

It's tough stuff, but I think much can go wrong with regard to paint.

I put an 03 tank on the bike and had it painted by a MC specific paint shop experienced with these tanks. So far it's been good, and I keep my fingers crossed.

Al