Unhappy V11

Gino Rondelli

I picked up my V11 yesterday from my mates garage where its been since the winter ( I don't have enough room for all my bikes so have to rotate them!) , all excited about gettin a run out on it today. Got it home and gave it a check over and a polish. Up this morning and it felt good on the one mile run to the petrol station. Filled it up then pushed the button...............Nothing!! I think its possibly the relay(s) decided to give up. Bump started it and put it back in the garage and went out on the breva instead. So I think its probably been fed up stuck in a garage with no other Guzzis (although it was alongside a 49 racing Douglas) Bloody Italian electrics :D

OK before I get the meter out and start poking here's the symptoms

Started & ran fine then wouldn't start

No oil light or gen light

Neutral light on

Kill switch OK (been caught out with that one before!)

Pump primes OK & I can hear / feel relays operating when I switch on.

Now after swapping the starter sidestand & headlight relays around I have no start & no lights?

This would lead me to think its more than just the relays?

Expert opinions please

Not all the relays are interchangeable- some have 4 pins and some 5 pins. A 5 pin will work where there is normally a 4 pin, but not visa versa, so be carful when swapping.

But it does sound like it may be related to relays- are they the crappy siemens relays?

Guest ratchethack
Just checked fuses. All OK

Tried the sidestand up and managed to get it started but no rev counter no gen light and no oil light or main lights?

Relays?

Gino, your third post above is puzzling, but there are a notorious pair of bullet connectors feeding the clutch microswitch under the front left side of the tank alongside the spine frame that have been known to exhibit the symptoms you described in your opening post. :thing: Many have reported on this over the years. It happened on my '00 Sport and on a Pal's '04 LM. In both cases and with many cases reported here, turning the bars lock to lock would pull on the wires just enough to make a better contact, and allow enough current to flow to allow a start. The permanent fix was to cycle the connectors 2-3 times to brighten up the contact points, fill with dielectric grease, and LIGHTLY crimp after seating. In both cases, after doing this, the symptoms never returned.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Not all the relays are interchangeable- some have 4 pins and some 5 pins. A 5 pin will work where there is normally a 4 pin, but not visa versa, so be carful when swapping.

But it does sound like it may be related to relays- are they the crappy siemens relays?

It's not the Siemens tale, they're not that bad, it's just as you already think: the 5-pinner is in the wrong slot now. I would bet on this!

Hubert

Well guys, I did have the relays back in the wrong way!!!! Number 1 Relay, the starter relay needs the 5 pins! Anyway thanks for all your advice, it was the wires under the tank. Sorted and now a happy V11 and owner again. Great Forum this, plenty knowledge out there. :D