Clutch damage

Admin Jaap

So, let's see:

This guy has a "more rattly than normal" and "clunky" clutch so he has it up to 115 mph and it grenades...........so who is the idiot?????<_<

Questions:

How long has his clutch acted up?

See all the clutch dust on the bike?

Does the guy abuse his bike? (sounds like he didn't like it)

Was it vibrating alot?

Now more questions:

Does Guzzi use RAM clutches in all the single plate clutches?

My Rosso Mandello with almost 9000 pretty hard miles was fine when I had it apart for case replacement at 6500 miles and it is a real RAM clutch. (Had it stamped on the pressure plate.)

Did they maybe change over to a different supplier or make them in house? Change the material on the plates?

How many actual single plate clutches failed? We need accurate percentages not just the few in shops and a couple of "I heard"

Lets get off the "recall" bandwagon untill we see it is actually a big problem.

Sports are ridden harder than the cruisers so lets not here how well they last when driven by "oldtimers"

Before you "oldtimers" jump on me I also have a 98 EV and it is ridden easier than my sport. (except when Todd is in town<wink>)

Plenty of dual plate clutches have failed (my first sport) should we recall them also?

If the internet and digital cameras did not exist, you would not have heard about this and motored on your merry way.

All I'm doing is playing the other side of the coin and want to have some actual numbers. If this proves to be a big problem percentage wise, then i'll sit up and take notice, otherwise the "chicken littles" shoud stop screaming. :thumbsup:

Also on Scura I had 2 wheelbearings go. Found the spacer was too short. But this damage is something else again.

Al, you mention Mike Rich has seen this happen - any details?

KB,Wales :(

No details other than his just mentioning what I related. I can only assume this is feedback he's received from various Guzzi owners that have had work done by him.

I suspect that there are a lot of V11 Sport owners out there that don't frequent this forum or have much of any "Internet presence", so we probably miss out on a wealth of info :huh2:

al

[snip] ....

All I'm doing is playing the other side of the coin and want to have some actual numbers. If this proves to be a big problem percentage wise, then i'll sit up and take notice, otherwise the "chicken littles" shoud stop screaming. :thumbsup:

No worries John, however this does make twice now that I've heard of this type of issue with these clutches, both from reputable sources. And the one from Mike Rich sounded itself like a summary of several folks' complaints... sooo :huh2:

I didn't say anything then, but now with Jaap's post, well, maybe there is an issue?? I dunno, but "once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times..." :P

I have no idea, but just something to perhaps keep an eye and ear on, and be aware of. I think that's simply what Jaap was getting at, just an FYI...

...some info is better than none B)

al