First proper ride impressions and a few questions

SBJ

Hello all,

My 2003 was delivered Tuesday night and managed to get out for a first decent blast of around 60 miles yesterday. Didn't really play around too much with the suspension beforehand and felt pretty good, but will have more time to play with this at the weekend. Would be interested to know if Moto Guzzi publish "stock" or Standard figures to use as a baseline. I have found data for the rear in the workshop manual but not for the front?

Really enjoyed the ride. Need to get used to giving it some gas to get away, as I nearly stalled a couple of times (used to inline fours :blush: ). It certainly felt great over the 4000rpm mark. I have mistral cans fitted (everything else is standard) and the sound was awesome. I have turned down the steering damper almost to miniumum and the steering was precise and fairly quick but it was still very planted and settled.

My only slight concern at the moment is the surging / juddering ride at lower speeds / revs. Almost like a fueling issue at around 30mph in 2nd or 3rd. The bike kind of momentarly pulls away then pulls back. I used to experience a very similar thing on my ducati monster s4r - and lots of people solved this by fitting a 15T front sprocket. I would be interested to know what people do with their V11's - assuming that it is a normal characteristic of the motor. Would a power commander help smooth it out? or should I be looking at other solutions?

The vibes issue didn't seem to be as bad as I thought they would be. I have however, ordered some grip puppies because I find the actual diameter of the grip too small and would prefer a bit more cushioning. I am also going to try to fill the bars with shot and get heavier bar ends - but if I cant get hold of them, then I could live with it as it is.

All in all it is really good to have a bike again that has a bit of character. I actaully felt like I was riding something. It looks beautiful, it sounds amazing and this one is a definite keeper.

I find mine has a bit of a flat spot between 3 - 4K which is possibly what you've got. Mines is standard and to be honest it only bothers me in the town but again thats not where the V11 should be! Funnily enough my V11 Breva pulls like a train all the way through. If you look on this forum you can spend money and time getting it better but my thoughts are if you want R1 performance buy a R1. Enjoy the quirks of the V11, character they call it :D

Congrat's on the new bike! 30mph in 3rd gear sounds like you may be lugging the motor. Try to keep the revs above 3k rpm. If it still chugs you might want to check the sync (balance) between the throttle bodies, and maybe check the TPS adjustment. Lots of info on both procedures around here. If the sync and TPS are set correctly and it still chugs, your bike might be lean in that range because of the Mistrals. A power commander and proper map would fix that.

from what I have gleaned here you need an aftermarket cross over (Mistral) to settle the low speed surge or ride at higher RPM. by all means check the throttle body sync, that might solve it. a PC will help too. I filled my bars w/BB's and it helped considerably w/the clip on vibes.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps

Certainly agree about needing to be in second rather than third in town - but in that gear, the surging / "jerkiness" is even worse. I think there is a place fairly close to me with a good reputation with Guzzi's, so I may well get them to check the balance etc.

I will also look into the crossover business. But for the moment, just going to enjoy the ride :D

Thanks for the replies so far chaps

Certainly agree about needing to be in second rather than third in town - but in that gear, the surging / "jerkiness" is even worse. I think there is a place fairly close to me with a good reputation with Guzzi's, so I may well get them to check the balance etc.

I will also look into the crossover business. But for the moment, just going to enjoy the ride :D

Moto Ecosse in Rutherglen, Mel (the owner) is a whiz wi Fuel injection systems

If the rear suspesion is feeling weird make sure the driveshaft trunnions are properly aligned. If they are out of alignment you'll get all sorts of weird reactions at the rear and will do serious damage to splines and pinions.

Pete

Yis bolloxES!!!

OK so,yir mans in the borders,first run

Galasheils to Moffat

Up to Glasshouses,then across to the Meggat

Tibbie Sheils Inn,pint or two then hame

Should settle the nerves aN BRING HIM INTAE THE REQUIRED MINDSET OF THE AVARAGE v11 0WNER

I E

deluded,half pissed,full of fun :P

Yis bolloxES!!!

OK so,yir mans in the borders,first run

Galasheils to Moffat

Up to Glasshouses,then across to the Meggat

Tibbie Sheils Inn,

Me pics have all disappeared!

Congrats on the new bike! If you want to meet some other V11 owners there is the Moto Guzzi Club GB rally at Guildtown near Perth next weekend- I can recommend it as an excellent bash.

If you are quick you can still get a ticket- details here Booking details

There is also the V11 Forum meeting in Ulster next month- a few of us are meeting at the Ken Bridge Hotel in New Galloway before heading to the ferry at Stranraer.

Cheers

Guy :helmet: