and speaking of helmets...

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

I am noticing a possible problem with high speed. Whenever I am going faster than 70 mph the wind beats on my helmet so much that I can't see clearly. Then I have to lay down on the tank. I don't mind doing this, but it would be nice if I had the option of sitting up also.

I just purchased a German Schuberth Concept. I like the 'flip up' feature and it has excellent optical clarity when it is not being buffeted! Do I have to buy a very high end 'race replica' helmet by Arai to get real high speed stability with a helmet? Is Shoei just as good? What actually works? What do you have? :helmet:

I found the Arai to be ' head and shoulders' :rolleyes: above the Shoei which was a real nat catcher. The Arai is lighter too.

The little Stucchi flyscreen really cleans up the airflow. I usually don't like windshields but it seems to clean up turbulence around the instrument pod. If you look, the naked instruments angle forward perhaps contributing to some lift at those Seattle freeway speeds.

When I grow up I'm getting one of Goren's fighter pilot helmets in case I have to bail out in the northern Swedish jungle. :grin:

Moved the answer to this thread:

Göran,

Thanks.  Hey, I've been meaning to ask.  What is up with that fighter pilot helmet?  Is it a standard agv feature to have the 'mask?'  It even appears to be camouflaged in case you have to bail out in the jungle.  :blink:

It's my old AGV Quasar racing :helmet:

with Max Biaggi design

Of course Max is sponsored by Suomy today but that just make

my helmet cooler :rasta:

The face mask came with the helmet. It is removable.

I use it when temperature drop below +20 Celsius

(which is not uncommon here in northern Sweden)

Last summer I normally used an open helmet which is

comfortable when running short distances or in town.

It has been so many accidents lately so I have given up

on comfort and always put on full protective gear.

Racing helmets are not comfortable, they should have a

very tight fit and I have to fiddle with my glasses every

time I take it on (and off). Contact lenses, next season.

BUT I should feel comfortable (= safe) in anything else

than racing gear.

Guest ladyflyer

I have had excellent results with AGV Q3 and Flyer model helmets . The upper buck Arai and Shoei were dissapointing at speed .

I just purchased a German Schuberth Concept.

There's your problem. Everyone knows German engineering & Italian technology don't mesh (tongue in cheek)

I have an AGV with no problems. Maybe if you covered that Schuberth with an Ago Italian flag paint scheme, the buffeting might go away ;)

I hope you're not running Michelins or Dunlops. Only Italian rubber will do :thumbsup:

:helmet:

Guest captain nemo
Maybe if you covered that Schuberth with an Ago Italian flag paint scheme, the buffeting might go away 

I hope you're not running Michelins or Dunlops. Only Italian rubber will do

Yes, I thought about adding on an Italian flag to see if it solves everything. I'm also sorry to report that I AM running Dunlop 220s which work very well. 170 in the back.

I'm still looking for the ultimate high speed helmet. So far I'm getting good feedback on AGV. Otherwise, it seems like you have to get a VERY TIGHT helmet for speed. Damn it! I want comfort too! :finger:

My buddy just bought a Schuberth and he complains about the buffeting too. I use a xxxl HJC for my gargantuin melon. Choices are very limited when you have this much brain capacity :moon:

I wear a Shoei rf800. It doesn't seem to buffet at all, it is a bit loud, a lot of wind noise. :ninja:

...that's surprising, as although it's a bit heavier than some competitor's helmets... the Shoei RF800(and newer RF900) are well known for one thing in particular, quietness, and long-distance comfort :huh2:

I've had both the RF800 and 900 and found that my first one was too loud because I got a size too large, realizing so after it loosened up. Lesson learned, I got a very snug size this time, and it's loosened up to a perfect fit :thumbsup:

And it's very very stable at any speed. I love mine :grin:

al

Aw, c'mon. Don't tell me my cheepo helmet is more functional than your superpwer superdeluxe helmet with retractable faceplates and sunvisors!?! :grin:

Tighten that puppy up and get on the good foot. That psychotic wind resistance is just telling you that you're alive, man.

shoei TZ1

Light weight. Slightly better than average wind noise. Sheild is pretty scratch resistant. Cheek pads push cheeks against teeth, ouch. Good at high speeds. Fogs easily despite breathe guard and vents. Could breath better. A little over priced.

Gialli Arrow Mono convertible.

OK weight for retracting chin guard type helmet. Excellent fit, and ventilation. Stays cool. Stable enough at high speed. But weight is significantly heavier than closed face Shoei, and the helmet is noisey at high wind speeds. No problem with ear plugs.

Safety of retracting chin guard helmets is questionable, but better than open face!

Bieffe, forgot which model I had....I think it was their cheapest Snell approved model.

Fairly Light weight. average wind noise. sheild scratched easily. Excellent fit. good ventilation. OK at high speeds. CHEAP to buy, cheap face sheilds, and crashed tested very well.

The Shoei may be better at high speeds than the others because of the cheek pads which are uncomfortable, but better to be tight at the cheeks, than at your temple cutting off blood flow....

Helmets may be the most personal thing in motorcycling. Arais are the most popular helmet (in the US, at least) and win all the awards and "shoot outs", to me they are like having my head in a soft jaw clamp that get tighter every 10 minutes. I've had two, both wound up being replaced shortly after I bought them, an expensive lesson for Mr. Cheapskate.

So far ( I certainly haven't tried them all) only the Shoei RF's have worked for me in the long run. Even the "other" Shoei, the "X" series, doesn't fit me as well. One of the people I ride with has had exactly the opposite experience, he loves his Arais and was never happy with any Shoei.

I've had both the RF800 and 900 and found that my first one was too loud because I got a size too large, realizing so after it loosened up. Lesson learned, I got a very snug size this time, and it's loosened up to a perfect fit. :thumbsup:

I agree with Al 100%, no helmet will work (in any way, comfort, quiet or safety) if doesn't fit. The helmet should be right on the edge of uncomfortable when new. One of the tests I use is to see if the skin on my forehead moves around when I move the helmet. If it doesn't I try the next smaller size. One other thing I've found, size isn't consistent even between model lines in one brand, you may be a Large in one line and an X-Large in another, try the next size up and down just to be sure.

If you can stand the funny looks and stares from the other people in the shop, put the helmet on for a good long time before buying it. I walked around Road Rider (the Bay Area guys will know the place) for a half an hour with my current helmet before I bought it.

The bottom line is that people can tell you if the helmet's face shield is scratch resistant or the graphics scuff easily and maybe even what helmet is quiet but no one can tell you what helmet will be comfortable. Only you can decide what size and brand you will like.

Cheers,

Lex